pomegranate juice, pomegranate juice interactions

Everyone loves pills. Doctors love to prescribe medicine. Patients love to swallow drugs. We are a pill-taking society. But all medications come with pros and cons. That is true of blood pressure drugs as well as everything else. Even a seemingly simple diuretic like hydrochlorothiazide (HCT or HCTZ) can cause problems for some people (see this link). That’s why many people would like to lower blood pressure naturally. The good thing about this approach is that it’s easy to test. People can measure their blood pressure to see if what they are doing is working.

Hawthorn Fizzled | What Else Can Lower Blood Pressure Naturally?

This reader heard about hawthorn for hypertension. It has been used for heart conditions, including angina, because it helps dilate blood vessels. But this reader was disappointed in the results.

Q. I have high blood pressure and would like to take natural things to lower it. A friend suggested hawthorn, but it doesn’t seem to do much. Can you help?

A. There are a lot of non-drug approaches that can be useful for blood pressure control. Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna) is popular in European herbal medicine for cardiovascular health (Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, Aug. 2017).

You can learn more about Hawthorn at this link.

We don’t see the point in continuing with something that isn’t helping, though.

Other Ways to Lower Blood Pressure Naturally

Measuring and Managing Stress:

Have you ever been late to an important meeting? Maybe a doctor’s appointment or a wedding? There’s nothing worse than to be caught in traffic when you know you are running late. If you mess up a job assignment or have to deal with a difficult person it is also highly stressful.

Research has demonstrated that even the stress of video games can have negative consequences. Investigators measured blood pressure changes in young adults while they played really hard video games.

More than a decade later they performed CT scans of their coronary arteries. Subjects who had reacted with elevations in their blood pressure during the psychological stress experiments with video games had an increased risk of developing calcification of their coronary arteries more than 13 years later (Hypertension, March, 2006).

Blood pressure readings are usually lower on weekends than on weekdays (Physiology & Behavior, April 15, 2006). We suspect that is because work can be stressful and weekends can be relaxing.

Tracking Your Stress to Lower Blood Pressure Naturally:

How can you measure your stress level without taking your blood pressure or monitoring your heart rate? This is going to sound simplistic, but we are big fans of mood rings. During the 1970s mood rings were all the rage. The ring is supposed to reflect your emotional state.

The truth is that the liquid crystals in the ring are sensitive to body temperature. Normal skin temperature is right around 82 degrees F. That’s when the ring should be green. If you are really relaxed and having fun with friends, your skin may be warmer and the ring could turn blue.

If you are a bit stressed out, the ring may turn amber. If you are really anxious and your hands are cold and clammy, the ring could go to gray or black. Where can you find a mood ring? It’s as simple as searching mood rings on Amazon. You can get your own stress monitor for $5 to $10.

The point of the exercise is to stay away from people and situations that make your hands cold. Hang out with people that make your hands warm. You can use this simple biofeedback approach to avoid conditions that are likely to raise your blood pressure.

Pomegranate Juice to Lower Blood Pressure Naturally:

Doctors love ACE inhibitor blood pressure medications. The number one ACE inhibitor drug for treating hypertension is lisinopril. At last count 113 million prescriptions were dispensed for this drug annually. But lisinopril comes with a number of side effects. Read more about them here.

Pomegranate juice can reduce ACE activitiy by about 36 percent (Atherosclerosis, Sept. 2001).  This may explain why drinking the juice regularly can help to lower blood pressure (Pharmacological Research, Jan. 2017).

In our Guide to Blood Pressure Treatment you will find lots of information on other ways to lower blood pressure naturally, including deep breathing, purple grape juice and a DASH diet to maximize your intake of potassium and magnesium. These minerals are crucial for healthy blood pressure. Almonds, cashews and spinach are high in magnesium.

There are many more natural approaches to controlling hypertension. They include regular sauna baths, drinking hibiscus tea and drinking tart cherry juice. You have doubts? Well, there is science to support each of these strategies. Here is a link to learn more about the science behind these and other ways to get blood pressure down.

Perhaps the best studied and most impressive natural way to lower blood pressure is with beet juice.

How Much Beet Juice Will Lower Your Blood Pressure?

What Have You Done to Lower Blood Pressure Naturally?

We love to learn from visitors about what has worked for them? Have you managed to lower your blood pressure naturally? Perhaps you lost weight or started exercising. Both have a substantial impact on blood pressure. Share your secret in the comment section below.

1. Jen
    Virginia

You might also try biodots for color indicators of stress/relaxation. First discovered years ago and reflected personalities of family members when we tried them together – all adults. Helpful for me as a migraine person. Biofeedback training that taught me to warm my hands, taken years ago when I suffered frequent and severe migraines, was invaluable. Those who experience migraines often have cold hands. This is a good way to monitor. I note that Amazon, as well as other places, sell biodots and related literature – useful and interesting.

2. Rich
    Houghton MI

Blood pressure control is a mind-body (psycho-somatic) issue. Healthy foods, herbs and supplements are great, and controlling stress through the mind has also helped me keep my blood sugar controlled. One nurse told me I “have the blood pressure of a teenager”, which would be at least 40 years younger than I am. My favorite stress reducer is EFT tapping. Mindfulness and an inquiry process called ‘”The Work’ of Byron Katie” also help.

3. Marilyn
    SC

I started drinking a glass of water with a teaspoon of cider vinegar with the mother every morning, as recommended by a friend, and I found that I was getting light headed after a few days. It apparently lowered my blood pressure, which is normal to low already.

4. Tony
    Fl.

I Second what Laura and Jean said…
    I take both L-Arginine and Celery Seed Extract…
    They seem to work for me

5. Wayne
    Indiana

As a general principle, overloading the detoxification system can increase blood pressure (atleast for me) and the situation can be improved by decreasing the detoxification load or increasing the detox ability. I have seen that I can tolerate small amounts of animal fat, turmeric, or berberine with no increase and maybe a decrease in bp but if I take too much the bp can greatly increase. One thing that consistently lowers it when that happens is Concord grape juice. (Lisinopril is also effective.) So some experimentation with frequent measurements has helped me find what helps and what hurts. I think there are a lot of individual differences.

6. Marie

While many people like chocolate, my favorite flavor has always been cinnamon. I put 1/8 teaspoon on my oatmeal every morning along with 1/8 teaspoon powdered ginger. At one point, I went through a phase where I drank spiced tea that contained cinnamon. I don’t drink coffee. Ever. While I was growing up, I preferred cinnamon baked goods. I used to wonder why I have had low blood pressure all my life. Sometimes it was dangerously low. Now I know. Cinnamon and ginger both help to lower blood pressure. Now that I am 71, my bp has gone up a little so that I am just now in the low end of the so-called “normal range”. Low bp does come with disadvantages. I have to rest or take a nap every day because I struggle to keep up with the rest of the world. Since I have other low vital signs, including low body temperature, one doctor told me I would live longer than a lot of people because I am not using up my resources as fast. So far, that seems to be true.

7. Camille Hill
    Texas

first off ..”everyone does NOT love pills”.
    I would like to know how one determines his/her blood pressure. Mine is all over the place, so I do not know which one is My BLOOD PRESSURE. Thanks for any info.

8. Rita
    Baltimore

Is eating borscht (beet soup) equivalent to drinking beet juice? It is available in supermarkets in glass jars as juice with shredded beets in it, and can be either low-sodium or sugar-free.

9. Stina M
    Waterford, MI

I was surprised to note that exercise was not emphasized as an important component to reducing blood pressure. Yes, it can temporarily raise blood pressure, and those with high BP issues need to monitor and be careful, but over time, investing just half an hour a day in an aerobic exercise routine can make real and lasting reductions in blood pressure. It has other beneficial effects too, of course, to the heart, lungs, and brain!

10. Charla
    WA

After trying most everything mentioned here and constantly researching the subject I discovered Nattokinase. It is a centuries old Japanese staple. It is made from fermented soy beans. I tried several supplements with varying success and switched to a bulk powder form (Natto) from Korea and it works like nothing else. Do your own research and do not take if you are on Warfarin or any blood thinner. Good luck to all.

• Lotty C
      SC

Could you elaborate on the company in Korea where you obtained the natto? Would really help a lot.

11. Aletta
    33707

Has anyone successfully lowered their blood pressure taking olive leaf? Any side effects?

• Wayne

I did not notice an effect but it could be worth a try since there is a lot of individual variation.

12. Robert G.
    Texas

I am having very good results from drinking 2 coffee-cup sized cups of hibiscus tea daily. I also exercise daily, using exercises prescribed by occupational therapist and physical therapist to counteract the latest stress fracture in my spine. I am in my mid- nineties.

13. Joan
    NY

I dropped my bp by 20+ points by eliminating caffeine from my diet. My doctor was surprised, but had one other patient that had similar results. I am now off one of my bp meds!

14. Cherl
    Highland Village, TX

My husband takes Benicar for his blood pressure. He was retired but returned to work. His work required some grueling overtime. I encouraged him to enjoy his coffee, as he always has. Despite losing weight, his blood pressure increased. Finally, I realized it may be the caffeine. I encouraged him to limit his caffeinated coffee to one or two in the morning, then decaf the remainder of the day. He did, and his blood pressure has come down to a more acceptable range.

15. Barbara
    New York

Beet juice or Beet juice capsules about three times a day. In addition, potassium.

16. Judith
    North Carolina

I started drinking 6 ounces of Kombucha daily. Not only has my extremely high blood pressure gone down to normal range but the Eczema I had all over my body is totally gone.

17. Klara
    Atlanta

I take 20 mg lisinopril daily to lower my blood pressure, and it does a great job. However, I would really prefer to lower my blood pressure naturally, so I decided to try hibiscus tea. I tried one brand, and it was the worst tasting stuff I ever drank. I haven’t given up yet, though. I will keep trying other things like pomegranate juice.

• Kat
      Florida

We make our own hibiscus tea using dried hibiscus flowers we get online (just throw the flowers in cold water, bring to a boil, then turn off heat, and let tea steep; put in pitcher in fridge and enjoy). It’s got a slightly tart flavor, but it’s very pleasant. We’ll make a couple of quarts at a time.

• Renee
      NC

Traditional Medicinals is a great brand. Badia also makes a hibiscus tea. Find it in the Hispanic or the spice section of stores. Or as my Jamaican friends call it: sorrel. If you steep the hibiscus/sorrel and ginger in water, you do not need any sweeteners for it to taste good. I have had several friends control their blood pressure in this manner.

18. Rebecca

My BP is 90/60; I weigh 112 lbs; and I’m 68. I exercise, don’t drink or smoke, meditate, and eat very well. I cook natural food at home and eat moderately. I typically don’t eat til noon and then 2 small meals w/ a snack. I am a wonderful cook but at 68 I view food as delicious but also as medicine. I don’t buy the “poor me” excuse because I can look at any grocery cart and tell you exactly what shape the owner is in. And I DO NOT live in a food desert! Sick of all the excuses for gluttony.

19. Margaret A R
    AZ

My husband was on lisinopril, and with his doctor’s OK I switched him to Hawthorne. It took 2-3 weeks to stabilize, but his blood pressure has been in the normal range for over two years now.

20. Laura
    IN

The best thing I ever did for my blood pressure was to give up all nsaids and other pain relievers and started taking L-Arginine. Headaches/migraines aren’t a problem for me anymore. L-Arginine helps blood vessels relax and improves circulation.

21. jim
    Fuquay-Varina, NC

Beet juice and hibiscus tea worked well for me.

22. Fred
    VA

Deep relaxation, meditation, and guided imagery are excellent ways of reducing/managing stress.

23. Ann

Hawthorne should be taken in tincture form, along with a healthy diet with no sugar. “You are what you eat”. Also, herbal formulas don’t work overnight

24. Jeanne
    Florida

A friend took celery seed supplements to keep her blood pressure lowered. She lived to be 101!

25. Mary
    Chicago

A 20-30 minute hot bath with 2-3 cups of Epsom salts immediately lowers my blood pressure by several points.