certo and grape juice, ease sore joints, grape juice and pectin, alternative to grape juice and pectin

The recent news that diclofenac, like other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), can make people more susceptible to cardiovascular complications is disturbing. It is not particularly surprising, however. Scientists have known for years that these drugs can increase the chance that a person will have a dangerous blood clot that could trigger a heart attack or a stroke. People taking NSAIDs are also at risk for serious gastrointestinal hemorrhages. As a result, many arthritis sufferers are searching for safer alternatives. Could a simple remedy like Certo and grape juice offer any relief?

Certo and Grape Juice for Knee Pain:

Q. I was using a cane to walk due to the pain I was experiencing in both knees from arthritis. I was seeing a chiropractor for back pain from a fall and told him I wished he could help my knee pain as well.

He told me about Certo and grape juice. I’ve tried this remedy for two weeks now. The results are amazing! I take it twice a day and the pain has subsided completely.

How Do You Make Certo and Grape Juice?

A. The mixture of two teaspoons of Certo (liquid fruit pectin) in three ounces of purple grape juice twice a day is a popular remedy for arthritis. Concord grape juice has anti-inflammatory activity and so does pectin. Home canners are familiar with Certo, used to thicken home-made jams and jellies. Others may have to scour the supermarket for the canning section to find it.

You can learn more about this and many other remedies for joint pain in our little (104 page) book, The Graedons’ Guide to Alternatives for Arthritis. It may be purchased for $12.95 plus $3 shipping and handling from The People’s Pharmacy; Dept. AFA; PO Box 52027; Durham, NC 27717. In addition to Certo and grape juice, you’ll get instructions for gin-soaked golden raisins and information on herbs such as ashwagandha and boswellia. If you try a remedy that you find helpful, please tell us about it in the comment section below.

1. Gene

After double knee replacements, I have experienced difficulties
    in sleeping and increased nocturia. The surgeon was lax in conveying the after care needed. Other patients have stated similar concerns.

2. Carolyn
    Houston, Texas

I bought the powder Certo, how much of the powder should be mixed with the grape juice?

3. DD
    Austin

Does the Certo & grape juice have any side effects? I have been taking Meloxicam for my neck and it is destroying my stomach, even though I only take 1/2 a tab. Without it, I can’t move my neck to even eat! If this would work, wow!

4. Sherry

Acting as an anti-inflammatory, I wonder if it will help with fibro?

5. Bunny
    North Carolina

Certo and grape juice really work. I’ve taken it for 2 years.

6. Susan
    Winston-Salem NC

I have IBS and diverticular disease. Within 30 minutes I was having terrible cramps and diarrhea.
    I read the Certo box and it does say it can cause GI problems.
    Now I suspect this is why I can’t seem to tolerate jelly anymore.
    I have really bothersome sacroiliac pain and decided to give this remedy a try.
    Oh well.

7. Carleton
    Massachusetts

You usually post more than one anecdote in your articles which focus on home/non-drug remedies. More commentary from you would have been helpful. Thanks

8. Judy
    Texas

I started taking the Certo/grape juice remedy and after just 2 days of taking it my arthritic shoulders and elbows are almost completely without pain and I am able to freely rotate and lift my arms. Also, my knees are not as painful and I am able to rise from doing my floor exercises without having to grab something to be able to stand. Amazing, thank you for the remedy…I am telling all my friends.

9. Cindy
    northern California

re uses for a bar of soap. I was having difficulties with my neck. Stiff, even a bit of throbbing sensation. Normally I would go to an excellent medical massage therapist but she is recovering from shoulder surgery. I already am a solid believer in a bar of soap’s ability to stop cramps of all kinds. It also has relieved an achy shoulder several times. I found a cheap bar of soap kind of shaped in a curve. I put it on the back of my neck while sitting in my easy chair and once on my pillow in bed so it was comfortable to lay upon. It really, really helped.

10. Ann
    Allentown, PA

I just saw the mention of ashwagandha in your article and had to respond. You must warn of the possible dangers of high doses–500mg.
    Under a doctor’s orders I took just one pill that started the most horrific vomiting and diarrhea I’ve ever experienced. Within hours I was in the ER with blood pressure 66/35, blue lips, gray skin. I’m convinced that, had I not gotten help, I’d have died on my bathroom floor. Frightening!