eating beets, beet juice first, how much beet juice

People with high blood pressure are more likely to experience heart attacks and strokes. That is why doctors emphasize blood pressure control. They often prescribe medication to achieve this goal. Some people would prefer to use natural approaches, however, such as exercising, following a DASH diet and drinking beet juice. How much beet juice does it take to make a difference?

How Much Beet Juice Do You Need to Drink?

Q. What is the proper amount of beet juice to consume to help lower blood pressure? I have heard that 1/3 cup per day is sufficient, but I have also read that one needs to drink two cups daily.

In addition, is there a low-sugar alternative? I need to watch my sugar intake.

A. Some studies show that people who drink 250 ml (about a cup) of beet juice daily lower their blood pressure (Hypertension, Feb. 2015). As you have noted, other studies have used other amounts of beet juice to lower blood pressure significantly. One recent study found that 140 ml daily of nitrate-rich beet juice lowered previously uncontrolled hypertension (British Journal of Hypertension, March 2018). That is less than a cup, so the exact answer to how much beet juice you need has not yet been determined.

Sugar in Beet Juice:

Beet juice does contain sugar, approximately 12 grams in a cup. Some people have turned to powdered beet extract to get around the problem of too much sugar. We don’t have good data on exactly how much beet juice it would take in this form to get blood pressure down.

We are sending you our Guide to Blood Pressure Treatment for a variety of other nondrug ways to lower blood pressure.

1. Laurie
    Jerusalem

Why just the juice of Beets? I have been eating a beet a day and found it has made a difference.

2. Lynn
    California

Hi,

I am wondering if beets are high in oxalates? My husband has high blood pressure but also has kidney stones. Some literature I have read states that beets are high in oxalates and other literature doesn’t. Could you please clarify for us? Thank you . I enjoy your newsletter and column in my local paper(Press Enterprise), on Sundays!

3. Lew P
    Sequim, WA

Will beet root capsules work as well as beet juice for lowering blood pressure?

4. Michele
    North Carolina

You can purchase beet root powder which contains only 5 grams of sugar. It is inexpensive and can be mixed with water.

5. Karla
    Seattle

My husband is on blood pressure medication and is working on ways to lower it more naturally, so I did some additional research as he also develops kidney stones. It looks like this approach would be problematic for those who have this tendency specific to oxalates, which he does. Please read up if this is you!

6. Teresa
    East Coast

This is good information. I love beets. Recently given RX for a BP medication with a side effect of ‘blindness’ -needless to say I declined to take it. I have moderately good BP control but want better BP control. I will give beet juice a try -after- I do more research and check compatibility with my other medications.

7. John
    Florida

As a test, I drank one cup of beet juice every other day and noticed a significant lowering of my BP. That may be a good place to start.

8. Luke
    Florida

Beet juice costs a fortune. You have to be kind of well off to afford a diet of that. Pills are much cheaper.

9. Trisha

I have made beet kvass for years (fermented beet juice) and I am always looking for a way to standardize the drink (how many beets to use, etc.) so I can note any benefits and reproduce them. “Drink beet juice” is so vague to me – one cup? One third cup? How many beets were in the juice? Thanks for any help.