red yeast rice, risk of red yeast rice, red yeast rice safe

One of the most divisive topics in health care right now is whether it makes sense to take a statin if you don’t have heart disease. Some physicians are adamant that this is essential, especially for people with risk factors such as high blood pressure or excess birthdays. Others point out that the data for people without heart disease is unconvincing (Redberg & Katz, JAMA Internal Medicine, Nov. 15, 2016). No wonder patients are confused! Some would like to try natural approaches to lowering cholesterol. They may wonder about combining a supplement with a statin. Is red yeast rice safe in such a combination?

Is Combining a Statin with Red Yeast Rice Safe?

Q. My cholesterol is elevated (268). For years, my doctor has been trying to get me to take a statin.

I finally gave in and am on pravastatin at bedtime. I really am against taking a statin. Is it OK to take red yeast rice in addition to the pravastatin? I hope eventually to take the red yeast rice instead of a statin.

Don’t Try This at Home!

A. You should not take both red yeast rice and a statin. There is no significant benefit to adding red yeast rice, but the combination might be more likely to cause side effects.

Why not try the pravastatin to see if you tolerate it? Many people do.

Should You Try Red Yeast Rice at All?

If you want to switch to red yeast rice later, be sure to discuss your plans with your physician. A reliable brand of red yeast rice (an important qualification!) should lower cholesterol about as well as pravastatin (Halbert et al, American Journal of Cardiology, Jan. 15, 2010). A recent review of red yeast rice trials found red yeast rice safe. In addition, it concluded that this supplement can lower cholesterol, but there aren’t large, long-term studies that would show if it prevents premature death (Peng, Fong & Pelt, American Journal of Nursing, Aug. 2017). This situation parallels the problem discussed above with statins.

You can learn more about this and other ways to reduce your cardiovascular risk in our Guide to Cholesterol Control and Heart Health.

Join Over 145,000 Subscribers
at The People's Pharmacy

1. Bev Jordan
    VA

I am an 89 year-old male & except for rather mild COPD, I am pretty healthy. Dr. Andrew Weil recommended red yeast rice about 15 or so years ago; I do not care to take prescription drugs unless I have to. I started taking RYR at that time. My cholesterol was about 260; within 60 days it was down to about 175. I have been taking it ever since & see no harmful effects.

2. Dallee

I cannot take red yeast — got the same leg pain was from a statin, which is not surprising given the similarities of their composition.

Since the leg pain results from chemical destruction of leg muscle, statins and red yeast would do definite damage and were discontinued with the approval of my doctors.

3. Larry M
    Raleigh, NC

Red yeast rice is naturally occurring lovastatin, the same compound that’s in Mevacor. You might as well get Mevacor, made in an environment (presumably) with better quality consistency of the dose, unless you really want to take “natural, organic” medicine.

4. Mary

What does the author mean by excess birthdays?

5. Cara
    Coupeville

I take red yeast rice on the advice of my doctor. I do not take statins.

6. Robert
    N.Y.

Red Yeast Rice Rice IS a Statin…It contains Lovastatin. Merck said they synthesized Lovastatin from the Lab. Instead it is a naturally occurring stain found in fermented red yeast rice.
    Merck went to court to successfully suppress the sale of red yeast rice, and block this information from being used.

7. Jan
    France

In France, red yeast rice is used routinely and everyone knows how good the French health system is. Also, the cost is around 3,25 euros per month’s supply.