under-breast rash

Women rarely talk about one delicate problem that many of them experience. It is especially common at this time of year because of warm, humid weather. These conditions favor the growth of fungus under the breasts that leads to under-breast rash.

Drug companies may be unaware of the problem. As far as we can tell, there are no FDA-approved products specifically designed to ease the redness, itching and discomfort these infections create. As a result, women have come up with their own approaches for treating this problem.

What Do Women Do for Under-Breast Rash?

We have heard from hundreds of readers about their ingenious remedies for under-breast rash. Here are just a few examples.

Athlete’s foot medicine:

“I had a fungus rash under my breasts. There was some Tinactin antifungal cream for athlete’s foot in my bathroom cabinet. I used it twice a day and in about a week the rash was gone.”

Diaper rash medicine:

“Under my breasts I get a very painful ‘rashy type redness’ that has a bad odor. It even seeps liquid sometimes from the rash. My solution, not ‘cure’, is to wash, pat dry and then apply Zincofax (for diaper rashes). Within ten minutes all the stinging and burning is gone and in a few hours everything has dried up and the skin is back to normal for the time being.”

Zincofax is zinc oxide, which has been used for decades to protect skin from moisture and irritation.

Vaginal cream:

“Do you think vaginal cream will work as well? I’ve been having this rash for close to a year now.”

Many women do use Vagisil or similar products for yeast infections to treat their under-breast rash.

One reader offered her solution, Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel:

“I have had this issue (under-breast rash) my entire life. Like my mother and grandmother, I started using cornstarch or baby powder. That worked, but it has to be applied twice a day or more often depending on how badly you sweat. Getting powder everywhere at work was embarrassing. When I started driving a big truck, trying to apply the powder became even trickier.

“Zinc oxide protected the skin, but it felt gross. I can’t remember how I was introduced to it, but I started using Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel. It is primarily dimethicone. This product goes on like a gel, but feels like a silky powder. It doesn’t dry, but gives just the right amount of slippage.

“I use Monistat yeast infection cream first for the required number of days to heal any yeast infection. Then Monistat Chafing Relief Gel protects the skin from moisture and friction.

“I apply it in the morning and it will actually last all day. It is a little on the expensive side, but it reduced the number of boils caused by hair follicles, sweat, heat and friction that powder usually didn’t prevent.

“I have been using this product for years and I tell my doctors about it every chance I get. They are often surprised at how healthy my skin is under my breasts, under my stomach and in my groin.

“Other products that contain dimethicone don’t feel the same. The closest alternative I have found so far is Lanacane Anti-Chafing Gel, but it isn’t as silky as Monistat. It changed my life.”

What Other Remedies Can Ease Under-Breast Rash?

Other remedies that have been shared include coconut oil, old-fashioned amber Listerine, milk of magnesia, Vicks VapoRub, Zeasorb powder and apple cider vinegar. Many women also suggest using a cotton handkerchief or absorbent pads under the bra to keep the area dry. You can read even more about such remedies here.

Ultimately, trial and error will yield the best approach for any individual woman. If you have a favorite remedy for managing under-breast rash, please tell us about it in the comments below.

1. Diann
    Texas

I developed a rash about a year ago. When I started wearing an older bra, which was cotton rather than synthetic fibers, my rash went away.

2. Amy
    Texas

I apply a roll on antiperspirant/deodorant under my breasts at the same time I’m doing my armpits. This stops the rash from developing. I’ve been doing it successfully for years.

3. Julie
    Roselle IL

I’ve used a dusting of Gold Bond powder before putting on my bra for a few years now. Occasionally, on particularly hot or humid days, a second dusting helps.

4. Barbara
    Toronto

After trying anti fungal creams etc., to no avail, I am using my Dove stick antiperspirant and it stops the perspiration problem.

5. Becky
    Selma, NC

I work outside and used to have problems with chafing under my breasts. I have tried several different products but have found that the best solution by far is wearing an under armor heat guard shirt underneath my bra. It pulls the sweat away from my skin and eliminates friction.

6. MARILYNN
    NE Illinois

A an old friend’s suggestion, I apply my antiperspirant as a prevention, AND IT WORKS!

7. Elizabeth N
    Raleigh

Living in the south (NC), summers are very hot and humid. When I’m out on motorcycle trips, I’m in the heat and humidity all day long. There is a product well known in the motorcycle community called “Anti Monkey Butt” anti-friction powder. There is a men’s and a lady’s version of this powder. During summer motorcycling I use this powder around the groin area, between my butt cheeks, and under my breasts. It eliminates the chaffing, reduces wetness, and prevents fungal growth. The lady’s version is a silky pink powder containing cornstarch, calamine powder, tricalcium phosphate and a light fragrance. It works really well and lasts a long time. It costs about $7 for a 6 ounce container (about 1.5 cups in volume).

Here’s a link to their website (although I think you can also find it on Amazon):

When I’m outside working in my garden in the summer, I keep a box of corn starch in the outdoor freezer, and splash a little up under my shirt, in my bra, down my back and down my panties whenever I start feeling too hot and sweaty. It’s so cool and refreshing in addition to absorbent and anti-chaffing, and it’s a fairly low cost natural solution.

(Please remind people that proper hydration and replacement of electrolytes lost via sweating is also very important in this hot sweaty weather. I keep reusable bottles of water with a little lime juice added in the outdoor refrigerator to drink while I’m working outside. Heat exhaustion and heat stroke are serious threats here in the south.)

8. MB
    Wisconsin

I use Florasone Cream which is a Homeopathic topical cream. The rash is gone within a day or two! The tube says: Relieves Itching, Eczema, Inflammation, Rashes.” I originally purchased it at the Health Food Store that is no longer in business but happily, I found it on Amazon and bought several tubes.

You only need a small amount to cover the rash area. Originally I purchased it for a rash on my face from eating red fruit/food: Strawberries, tomatoes, even blue berries. I still eat those foods but I apply the Florasone Cream and the rash gone the next day. Hope this works for you!

9. Sarah
    South Carolina

After showering when I apply my deodorant (fragrance free, clear roll-on without aluminum) I put some under my breasts to prevent the moisture that causes rashes.

10. tekinana
    California

Somewhere I read that of putting hand sanitizer under your breasts before putting on the bra.
    It works for me, smells good and lasts all day.

11. Chris
    Indiana

I had this for a long time and my dermatologist suggested using stick antiperspirant deodorant to help keep the area dry— worked like a charm for me

12. Judy
    Seattle

Use a hair dryer to dry under the breasts everytime you shower or swim then apply baby powder. Works like a charm.

13. Michele
    North Carolina

I use unscented baby wipes and they work great.

14. T.
    Boone, NC

Using Mom’s milk of magnesia deodorant under breasts will help deter skin eruptions. Plain corn starch works wonders when the rash is active and red, but the deodorant is not as messy.

15. Maria
    Bartow, fl

I bathe with Cetaphil antibacterial soap, it works great and I no longer get those rasher under my breasts or folds.

16. Pat
    CA

I find that a little bit of coconut oil rubbed on the area after showering takes care of the problem. It also prevents the problem from occurring. The coconut oil is good for treatment and prevention and easy to use.

17. Patricia

After having a non-cancerous thyroid tumor removed I have continued to have head sweats and then severe sweating under my large breasts. We are working on getting the Thyroxin meds dosage adjusted to hopefully stop this sweating.

Then two months ago I developed a severe rash under my breasts. Took a while to realize the rash was exactly what this article addresses – sweat rash. I tried diaper rash creams which did nothing for me. I tried rubbing alcohol to try to dry it out – not. I tried talcum powder which had to be constantly reapplied – not. I tried a general anti-bacterial cream – not.

Then I found some hemorrhoid cream with 1% Hydrocortisone in my medicine cabinet. Bingo! Hydrocortisone seems to be the one thing I have finally found that works. I have large breasts and this is the first time in 72 years I have developed this problem. What an embarrassment! I’m glad I finally discovered a solution…

18. Helen
    Illinois

I have had great success with tea tree oil in solving bacteria, rashes, and that nasty odor sometimes under the breast. I mix 10 drops of tea tree oil in one cup of water. I put the mixture in a spray bottle and use it on the effected area. I let it stay on for a while and then rinse. If the condition continues, I use it again and let it stay on longer. It never fails! Give it a try!

19. Sylvia
    South Florida

Summers are hot and sweaty here in Florida. When I get a rash under my breasts, I rub on Milk of Magnesia before going to bed. Within two days the rash has gone.

20. Marcia
    Pennsylvania

My late mother frequently had this problem and during one nursing home stay we were given this power that did an amazing job of clearing up her rash. I keep it in the cabinet at all times…just in case. Remedy Phytoplex Antifungal Powder

21. Kassandra
    AZ

I had never heard of this until 2 months ago. I was going to my dr. anyway, so I asked her what would help. She prescribed Nystatin cream which fights the yeast when applied 2x day. It works! Because the growth of yeast is also slowed by salt, after I shower, I apply my mineral salt deodorant under my breasts, and then the Nystatin cream. The itching stops and the rash goes away in just 2-3 days.

22. Lynn
    Seattle

I have used A&D Ointment just like I did for diaper rash 60 years ago. Mainly, I try to keep the area dry, but A&D does protect it.

23. Lisa

I have used Bactine with some success, keeping in mind that it is not meant to be applied over large areas of the body, so it matters how extensive one’s rash is. Since I wouldn’t see why Bactine would work against yeast or fungal infections, I’m suspecting that bacteria might be involved in some cases of under-breast rash.

24. Diane F
    98333

I have found that simple body powder applied each day takes care of the issue. I also use it at various perspiration points elsewhere on the body, plus it feels good on a warm day.

25. Lynda
    Texas

I apply underarm deodorant under my breasts to prevent the rash. I’ve been doing it for years.

26. Granny G
    San Diego, CA

I never had a yeast infection in my entire life until I was on Lyrica for over a year to address pain issues from fibromyalgia. Side effects were eventually so numerous that I took myself off of it over many, many months. I went to my PCP and she prescribed numerous creams, finally referred to a Dermatologist who proceeded to try other types of ointments, which also didn’t eliminate the under the breast rash, but halted the progress of the rash that had spread from side to side and for several inches below on my upper abdomen.

I stopped wearing bras, as it was too uncomfortable and started wearing “vests” to keep my modesty whenever I had to leave the house. This went on for 4 months!

I had used baby powder, medicated powders, organic cornstarch, etc., but nothing seemed to heal me. I went on line to research alternatives and discovered that yeast feeds on sugars. It dawned on me that corn is a sugar and I immediately searched for an organic, natural alternative.

I switched to Bob’s Red Mill brand of organic Arrowroot Starch/Flour Powder (Gluten Free) and that was my miracle cure! I applied it morning and night, and/or anytime I got wet from the shower or bath, and it was a comfortable, silky powder feeling, and no chemicals. The rash was immediately relieved, although my skin remained discolored from months of irritation and I continued the treatment for about 2 months until my skin became normal again, and the roughness and discoloration was totally gone.

It has been 8 months now, and I currently no longer need to use it, but I have a bag of it in my health bag for the future summer, just in case.

Works anywhere you need it on the outside of your body, and yes, it’s a bit messy if you are using a lot of it. I find that adding a tablespoon of the powder in my hands, leaning over the sink or toilet, will generally make it manageable to apply without it going on the floor. If not, then I simply stand in the shower and apply it in there, where I can keep it contained and rinse down the tub afterward.

At the same time that I was using Arrowroot Starch Powder, I worked on replacing the nutrients and vitamins/minerals that had been depleted by the use of Lyrica. That took a lot longer, but I just got my latest blood lab work back, and everything is back to normal levels. Yay!

Hope this helps you ladies who have been suffering from yeast infections!

27. Anne
    NC

I have what seems to be this same rash under my stomach and sometimes at the top inside of my legs. My doctor told me years ago to use triple antibiotic ointment. It’s some of the best advice I’ve ever received. Works like a charm. I’ve also used it for the rare occasions I’ve had under the breast rash.

28. Donna
    Texas

Before I get a rash under breasts, use an antiperspirant under breasts to stop moisture. it works for me. also a foot fungus cream IF you do get a rash. to also stay cool, buy those tiny ice cube packets the kind you freeze and use, insert one in center of breasts, it helps keep you cool. made me less irritable during Menopause, lol. I still use them in our Texas heat. works for me.
    hope this helps.

29. Sharon
    Lakeland, FL

I started using Phillips Milk Of Magnesia as my deodorant several years ago and my perspiration decreased tremendously and never any body odor. (My husband also uses Phillips MOM and his perspiration and odor is now nil! He loves it.)

For years, I have also made my own talc solution and I dust under my breasts every morning. It has worked tremendously and I would highly recommend this treatment. I mix equal parts of baking soda and corn starch and apply with a powder puff.