sparkling water

Heartburn, indigestion or acid reflux all describe a similar type of discomfort: a burning pain behind the breastbone. There are numerous prescription drugs for this problem, including Nexium and Prilosec. There are also dozens of home remedies. What if sparkling water could ease indigestion?

Soothing Heartburn with Fizzy Water:

Q. I have stumbled upon a remedy for my acid reflux: sparkling water. I drank some (because that’s all my daughter had available) and then noticed I didn’t have acid reflux all day. I sip one can of bubbly water a day, and it pretty much controls the reflux.

My question is: will this much sparkling water be harmful to me? I’m going to look for it in glass bottles so I won’t be drinking out of aluminum cans.

By taking your advice, I previously weaned myself off Nexium. It took about four months but I have not taken it in two years. Sparkling water and an occasional Rolaid seem safer than a PPI.

Carbonated Water for Indigestion:

A. Japanese researchers report that carbonated water alleviates indigestion, at least temporarily (Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology, Volume 58, No. 5, 2012).  An old fashioned approach, half a teaspoon of baking soda in four ounces of water, generates carbon dioxide, the same gas that is used in sparkling water.

A glass every now and then should not pose a problem. Other ways to wash acid back into the stomach include sucking on hard candy, chewing sugarless gum or sipping chamomile tea. You can learn about home remedies for heartburn in our Guide to Digestive Disorders.

Join Over 145,000 Subscribers
at The People's Pharmacy

1. James
    Elma,Wa

try chewing gum. I have been dealing with acid reflux for years…First I was drinking the baking soda mixture, then it was handfuls of salted sunflower seeds. The best thing that works and I’ve told others about this, is chewing gum. My gum of choice is Extra sugar free spearment. I chew two pieces and with in mins its working on my heart burn. I buy it by the box at Costco. At some resturants when your meal comes there is a little sprege of mint on the plate that you eat after your meal…this is sooth your stomich

2. Sylvia
    Waco, TX

I sent in the question about sparkling water. I’ve heard of the Prelief, but haven’t tried it, as I am concerned about taking too much calcium, since supplements have been linked to an increase in heart disease. I even worry about too many Rolaids for that reason.

Some antiacids contain aluminum too. I will try baking soda. As far as liquid volume causing acid to rise, I’ve learned that I absolutely cannot ever overfill my stomach or overeat again and that any snacking has to be done four hours before bed. Ginger helps me too — the crystallized candy and ginger tea. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

3. Gerry
    Florida

try a small spoonful of baking soda in a half glass of water. works in a few minutes for me.

4. Brent
    NW IL

Apple cider vinegar works great for me, and Eden even has one that is derived from umeboshi plums which is excellent. I add the ACV or comparable vinegar to accent every meal and rarely have any digestive problems. The weak acid in it seems to do the trick for digestion!

5. Robin
    Vermont

Sparkling water — carbonation of any kind — only makes my heartburn worse as it increases liquid volume in the stomach, which helps the acid to rise up in my throat. However, I recently found a new (to me) product called Prelief that has changed my life. Cheap, easy to take with meals, doesn’t leave a chalky taste because you don’t chew it, and you can take as much as you need without worrying about it hurting you because it’s calcium. Just remember to take it with every acidic meal — or every meal, as I do, if you get heartburn easily. Wish I’d had it while I was pregnant!

6. Christy
    florida

Those drinks are a double whammy for me! Firstly, the carbonation and secondly, the citric acid. Both of these make my reflux worse. I watch what I eat and over the years have a pretty good idea of what is good for me, and how much of something I shouldn’t have.

7. Margaret
    Houston, TX

I rarely have heartburn but when I do I eat 6 raw almonds and get almost immediate relief. Generally I store my raw almonds in the refrigerator but I keep a small bag on hand in my night stand.

8. Whitley
    North Carolina

Sodium free club soda seems a near perfect beverage.You can drink too much of anything and make yourself sick but you need certain amounts of liquid in diet to survive. Club soda is my drink of choice and it provides that terrific burp from time to time which is fun and knocks down acid as well.