Warts are one of the most common skin problems children develop. They are rather mysterious. We know that human papilloma viruses cause warts, and the warts can be treated with any one of a large number of medications or home remedies. But what is the best remedy for warts?
Will Warts Go Away by Themselves?
Q. My 6-year-old granddaughter has warts on her legs. The doctor said to leave them alone, as they will go away in a year or two. The problem is they spread, maybe because they blister and scab. Is there anything we can use to rid her of these ugly, itchy warts?
Choosing the Best Remedy for Warts:
A. The dermatologist is right that warts often go away on their own, especially in children. Most people don’t want to wait a couple of years, though.
Here are some of our favorite wart remedies:
- Cut a piece of banana peel the size of the wart and tape it over the wart with the fleshy inner side of the peel on the skin. Change it daily.
- Apply a few drops of castor oil to the wart, cover with a bandage and reapply daily.
- Cover the warts with duct tape cut to size. Replace the duct tape after several days.
- Rub the warts with lemon juice or vinegar several times a day.
- If all else fails, ask the pediatrician if it would be OK to use cimetidine (Tagamet). One mother reported that her 7-year-old son suffered with more than 20 warts for over two years. Nothing worked. Then she gave him Tagamet twice a day. Within a month most of the warts were gone.
Selecting the best remedy for warts will depend to some extent on what you and her parents are willing to do, and what she is willing to put up with. Children are particularly sensitive to suggestion when it comes to warts, so make sure that you talk up the remedy you use and let her know it is super-effective. Some dermatologists use pseudo-magical incantations to help boost the power of a wart treatment, and it does seem to help.
If you need other suggestions on treating her warts, you may be interested in our book, The People’s Pharmacy Quick & Handy Home Remedies. This book offers remedies from readers for all manner of problems.