yellow mustard

Q. I read about rubbing yellow mustard on a leg cramp to ease the pain, but eating a teaspoon of it works great without the mess. I swallow one teaspoon at bedtime to prevent leg cramps. If I get a cramp anyway, I just eat another spoonful.

A. We have never advocated smearing mustard on leg cramps, though this mysteriously did appear in a few newspapers. The standard recommendation is to swallow a teaspoonful, as you suggest. Some people find mustard distasteful at bedtime or in the middle of the night.

In our Guide to Leg Pain we offer many other options for easing cramps, including magnesium, baking soda, apple cider vinegar, B vitamins and special stretching exercises. You’ll find lots of details in it.

Some people find it helpful to keep packets of yellow mustard, such as those dispensed at fast-food restaurants, on the nightstand. That way a spoonful of mustard can be easily swallowed when it is needed without an excursion to rummage in the fridge.

1. Tom H.

I tried a bar of soap for terrible leg and foot cramps but it did not work so I added 3 more bars and noticed nice improvement. So I added 2 more bars now I am 100%, free of lasting cramps. When I get a super duper cramp I just slide that leg on top of 3 bars and the cramp goes away right now.
    When the bars get weak they have to be scraped back to fresh soap or replaced.

2. JLS

I had severe muscle spasms for a 24 hour period. So painful they made me cry. I tried quinine pills, Tylenol, aspirin over the course of the day and into the night. The acute pain which crippled me making nearly impossible to walk finally left half way through the next day. I have had muscle spasms before and the quinine always took it away, I am stymied on why it didn’t work this time. Any suggestions?

3. PS

And, don’t forget to drink plenty of plain ol’water to prevent some leg cramps.

4. Roger S.

My wife gets bad leg cramps and when she does she will either reach for the pickle jar (she drinks the juice) or the mustard bottle. We read about them on your site. Both work extremely well but the pickle juice seems to work almost instantaneously.

5. B H

when I get leg cramps at night, I rub the back of a steel spoon over the area & the pain goes away instantly.

6. P.N.

I have used yellow mustard for leg cramps at night, I keep a few pks on my night stand. It has really helped and I did read about it here several months ago. It works for me, when I ordered something from a fast food place I get extra pks of mustard when I order! Thanks, I love all the natural info!! Pat

7. Rocket Scientist

An opened jar of plain yellow mustard does not need to be refrigerated, but the packets would be much easier during the night.

8. MB

Leg CRAMPS and PAIN, drink “TONIC WATER”, it is contains “QUININE” and will help you. My Dr. told me and I have NO more pain.