young woman checking her hair in a mirror

Q. At age 49 I still had a thick head of long wavy hair. Then I was prescribed the blood pressure drug lisinopril with HCT.

Within three weeks my hair was falling out, along with my eyelashes and eyebrows. My doctor said these meds don’t cause hair loss. I saw a hormone specialist and after $400 worth of tests, he said the hair loss was due to age and stress.

One dermatologist I saw said it was stress; another said I was getting older. I’ve searched blood pressure medications online and many have “alopecia” as a side effect. That means hair loss. I don’t think I’m stressed and I’m not that old.

A. Many medications can cause hair loss. Blood pressure pills like atenolol, lisinopril, losartan, and valsartan may have this effect, as can cholesterol-lowering drugs like lovastatin or simvastatin. Such a side effect is often considered minor, but many people find it distressing.

We are sending you our Guides to Hair and Nail Care and Blood Pressure Treatment with a list of many drugs that may contribute to hair loss plus ways to battle baldness and control blood pressure naturally.
No one should stop taking a blood pressure medicine without medical supervision. Controlling hypertension without side effects requires good teamwork between doctors and patients.

1. Anna
    Baton Rouge, LA

I started taking Amlodipine for blood pressure and Lovastatin for high cholesterol, about 6 weeks ago. I had beautiful thick and semi-long hair. I started noticing every time I combed through my hair that, it was shading a lot. I had no idea what the problem could be, so I started researching the medications that I was taking and came across this. I informed my doctor and they decreased my dosage, but I choose to change to the all natural blood pressure and cholesterol methods.

2. Carol D
    Fort Lauderdale

I had a worse hair loss with Losartan then Amlodipine 2.5. Try Pura d’ or shampoo. I just started it. I had cortisone injections in my scalp. That did not work at all.I take Trianterine in the tablet form and take 1/4 in the morning. It is better then Losartan. I tried many other broke out in a rash itching. I tired them all Benicar, itching, and some mad my blood pressure higher.The pharmaceuticals need to come up with anew one. orst part after a while they do not work.

3. Pat
    Oklahoma

I’ve been on Losartan for a few months and also had surgery twice within 24 hours in October (2 1/2 months ago), with general anesthetic. My hair was not at all in good shape before the surgery but since the surgery it has pretty much all fallen out. I had this problem after surgery before and my hair eventually came back, but this time it’s only getting worse. The Losartan is not doing a good job on my blood pressure anyway, so I guess I need to go back to the doctor and see if there’s anything else I can take. I’m allergic to most meds or at least they all have side effects and I haven’t had good luck with natural remedies.

4. Maggie
    Tennessee

I have a history of bizarre drug reactions and I have to be careful of any medications prescribed. I’ve learned not to read the side effects brochure so if something happens, it’s not paranoia. I have fragile naturally curly hair and I am in my mid sixty’s. For weeks, my hair has gotten thinner and thinner to the point of embarrassment and severe self consciousness.

My mom had very thin hair and I thought it was just my heritage. This past Sunday, I was combing my hair before my shower. I actually had my glasses on and was stunned. Hair was everywhere on the counter, floor and the comb was stuffed full.

I was prescribed Losartan approximately five months ago. After reading the other posts, there is absolutely NO DOUBT in my mind that the massive amount of hair loss in the last five months is due to the Losartan. Doctors are seduced by drug reps to push their products and they very seldom read the side effects papers unless a patient enlightens them. Mine is about to be enlightened.

5. shi
    NJ

I too have lots of hair loss since on amlodopine, also on atenolol, statin and losartan, hctz all of which is mentioned as causing hair loss in above comments, no wonder i’m going bald. use to have very thick hair . oh i i also take levothyroxin . sounds like i’m doomed to baldnesss.my husband says i shed worse than a dog and je’s right

6. Melissa
    Narvon

Yes, I started taking lisinopril 10 mg for 4 months and I was what the heck my hair is very dry, and thinning and falling out after 3 months.

I am stoping the meds, and doing natural.

7. Pat

P.K.
    I have tried three different BP medications: Losartan (with horrible constant pain in my left leg and back) doc prescribed 50 mg, too much for 106 lb elderly woman, and I was only taking half the tablet and had to quit taking it after a few days because of too much pain. I developed a sinus infection when I quit the med.

Then hydralazine, with swollen red tongue, not able to swallow my food, elevated liver enzymes. I had to quit that one after a couple of weeks.

Then, amlodipine with hair loss for several months, although that side effect is not mentioned along with a dozen other side effects from that med. When I mention these side effects to my doctor, his response is, ” all medications have side effects”!

I’m trying some of the natural remedies: beets, beet juice, hibiscus tea. They seem to lower the BP a little. Mine needs to come another 40 points. Thanks for all the good helpful info.

8. Eva
    Roseville, CA

I started taking Lisinopril a month and a half and notice clumps of hair falling off? My husband thought it was the BP men’s and sure enough this site confirmed. What mess are there without the side effects?