golden raisins and gin, gin soaked raisins

Q. Three years ago I had bad arthritis in my right hip. After suffering for two years, I began taking gin-drenched raisins in desperation. I had much less pain in the hip within a few weeks.

The past year I’ve had trouble with my knee if I sit without stretching out my leg. I decided to boost my dose of raisins from one tablespoon a day, to a tablespoon twice a day. I don’t know if the benefit I’m getting is from the raisins, but I don’t dare stop. I’m 80 and the pain is gone and it’s a sunshiny day!

A. We’ve heard from many other readers who find gin-soaked raisins helpful. We usually urge people to stick with the traditional dose of nine raisins daily (approximately a teaspoon), but we are interested in your dose adjustment.

Here’s another impressive story from a reader:

“As an active senior I was more than dismayed with increasing arthritis to the point of pain when I attempted simple activities. Aspirin and exercise helped a bit. I tried deleting the “reds” from my diet, (meat, tomatoes, eggplant) taking “guaranteed” OTC arthritis remedies (for which money was returned) and capsules with Boswellin/Turmeric/Bromelain mix. Some easing occurred. Then I tried the gin-soaked raisins and I am pain-free and flexible once more. Fantastic. I am so very grateful to you for your advice! My horses thank you, my grandkids thank you and my garden also thanks you.”

Not everyone gets the same excellent response to gin-drenched raisins. We offer a variety of other non-drug approaches in our Guide to Alternatives for Arthritis, along with recipes and answers to frequently asked questions. Other remedies that many readers have found helpful include tart cherries, pineapple extract, Certo in grape juice, and herbs such as boswellia, ginger or turmeric.

Anyone who would like to take advantage of our very special holiday gift offer may find that a copy of our new book from National Geographic, The People’s Pharmacy Quick & Handy Home Remedies, plus 50% off our Recipes and Remedies from the People’s Pharmacy is an offer too good to pass up. Recipes and Remedies is usually a $14.95 value, but we are now offering it for one half off.

In Recipes & Remedies, Joe and Terry Graedon offer delicious recipes and meal plans that help make great nutrition easy, as well as advice on using food to treat common conditions. They have consulted some of the country’s leading nutrition scientists who have offered their expertise on healthy eating and shared their own favorite recipes.

In addition to 2 weeks of healthful and delicious seasonal recipes, you will also find:

• Practical remedies to help you manage blood sugar
  • Diet patterns that may help prevent and fight cancer
  • Simple non-drug approaches to lowering cholesterol
  • Foods to help control blood pressure
  • Easy remedies to ease indigestion
  • Tasty recipes to reduce inflammation and alleviate joint pain

And much, much more.

Join Over 145,000 Subscribers
at The People's Pharmacy

1. Dion
    New Zealand

As a 69 year old I have been getting leg pain for the past 3-4 years, especially when I try getting up from sitting for a while. I was putting this down to my daily workouts at the GYM. Then I went on holiday for 3 weeks, and the pain only got worse, I was having trouble walking and getting bad cramps at night so the idea of the pain being GYM-related was false.

Then I read about the raisins and gin and have been trying that for about 2 months now. WOW! What a change. I’m not getting any pain in my legs now and look forward to taking our dog for a walk up to 3 times a day. I soak the raisins in a plastic container for about a week prior to taking them. I always have 2 containers on the go: 1 soaking while I use the other one. I have not noticed any difference between using white (golden) or black raisins and have used both as a trial. Give it a try. You have nothing to lose.

2. Sabrina

Any chance these gin soaked raisins will help with hip pain caused by arthritis?

3. nana

It’s an amazing miracle. having knee and hand problem over two years. was diagnosed with arthritis seronegative. after taking gin raisins just for a week I’m feeling real good. It’s a miracle remedy that will not disappoint you. I will continue taking it cos of the taste. I’m now arthritis free.

4. Debbie A. L.

How many raisins should one take per day?

5. Sophia R.

Wild juniper is an anti-inflammatory. Beefeaters gin (London) lists this ingredient, and it produced dramatic results for me.

6. AJV

My bottle of gin (Gordon’s) has no list of ingredients, so I checked all my other liquor bottles and none of them had an ingredient list. Is this just a strange coincidence or are others having this same problem?

7. Ana

Are you sure all this pain is from arthritis? My 8 year old daughter had a lot of pain all over her body, including head, neck, arms, and legs and after many doctors misdiagnosed her we found a chiropractor who cured her using the “torque release technique” which is a very gentle method. She is now 11 and has been pain free for 3 years. I also recommend the book “Chicken Soup for the Chiropractic Soul”. I never believed in chiropractors before but am a firm believer now. Chiropractic gave me back my happy little girl.

8. Sophia R.

Sultana grapes should be used. They are a a white raisin that, when dried, turn a golden color. Easy to find are Sun-Maid Golden Raisins. Use gin which lists “wild juniper” in its ingredients. Put raisins in a small glass jar with a lid, enough for a week. Barely cover with the gin. No need to refrigerate. It’s possible that failures may have been caused by using the wrong kind of gin or raisins.

9. mvc

Can light or dark raisins be used?

10. BB

My arthritis is interfering with my life, and I would like to try your gin soaked raisins. However, I take numerous medications and several of them caution against using alcohol with them. Would the raisins be safe for me to take?

11. Sarah

How does the recipe go? Do you leave the raisins soaking in a jar with the gin? My husband has terrible osteo arthritis… would love to try this but need directions, storage, etc. thanks!

12. Sophia R.

I tried gin-soaked raisins for osteoarthritis, not expecting much if anything. To my great surprise, my knee which had been badly swollen for several years became almost normal size within a few days. Also a breast which had been greatly swollen from radiation damage a year ago reduced to normal. I didn’t know that gin-soaked raisins could reduce inflammation!
    When I stopped eating them, the Inflammation returned somewhat.. I bought another brand of gin, and it didn’t work as before. My son did some research, and found that the gin should contain wild juniper. Check the label for that ingredient. Now I’m back on track, and am grateful to you for the surprising remedy. And the 4 pound weight loss was welcome!

13. RC1956

I am trying the gin-soaked raisins remedy. It seems to be working but only for a part of a day. I have even awakened in the night and taken another dose. As the lady suggested, is two doses a day all right. I am having widespread aching in my shoulders, neck and upper arms, as well as my forehead, temples, orbits, cheekbones, TM joint, following a month-long bout with tension headache. Fiorcet sometimes relieves the headache, but does nothing for the other pain.
    Any ideas on other ways to combat the pain? It makes it hard to perform my daily tasks, as well as traveling 12 hours daily for hyperbaric oxygen therapy for diabetic ulcer.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

14. Eliza

When people are talking about what works for arthritis, I wish they would specify if their arthritis is osteo or rheumatoid. My sense is some treatments are more likely to work for one and not the other.