a glass of tonic water with a slice of lemon

Quinine is bitter. It gives tonic water a distinctive flavor. Not that long ago you could buy quinine pills over the counter in most pharmacies under brand names like Legatrin, Quinamm and Q-vel. But the Food and Drug Administration banned the use of OTC quinine to treat leg cramps in 1994. Although this drug has been available for centuries, the FDA has determined that it is far too dangerous to use for anything but malaria. See this link for more information on the ban.

Quinine Dangers

The trouble is that some people are extremely sensitive to quinine’s toxic effects. This drug can cause headache, rash, ringing in the ears, nausea, dizziness and blurred vision.

The most serious reactions are rare but can be life threatening. Blood disorders can lead to hemorrhaging. Dozens of hospitalizations and two deaths are linked to the drug.

The FDA ordered drug companies to stop selling quinine for anything but malaria in 2007. Only one product was allowed. Qualaquin can be prescribed by physicians but the cost is high. One pill of Qualaquin could cost over $6. That could make sense for a drug to treat malaria, which is rare in the US. Muscle cramps are anything but rare.

Any physician who prescribes Qualaquin for leg cramps could risk the wrath of the FDA. On July 8, 2010, the agency issued the following warning.

“The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today warned that the unapproved use of the malaria drug Qualaquin (quinine sulfate) to treat night time leg cramps has resulted in serious side effects and prompted the manufacturer to develop a risk management plan aimed at educating health care professionals and patients about the potential risks.

“Qualaquin is not FDA-approved to treat or prevent night time leg cramps.

“A review of reports submitted to the FDA’s Adverse Event Reporting System (AERS) between April 2005 and Oct. 1, 2008, found 38 U.S. cases of serious side effects associated with the use of quinine, the active drug in Qualaquin.

“Quinine use resulted in serious and life-threatening reactions in 24 cases, including low level of platelets in the blood (thrombocytopenia), and hemolytic uremic syndrome/thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura, a blood disorder that results in clots in small blood vessels around the body that can be accompanied by kidney impairment.

“In some patients, these side effects resulted in permanent kidney impairment and hospitalization. Two patients died. Most of those reporting serious side effects took the drug to prevent or treat leg cramps or restless leg syndrome.”

What about Tonic Water?

Clearly, quinine can be dangerous for certain people, but the FDA has not banned quinine from tonic water. To do so would make the FDA a laughing stock. It would also aggravate millions of people who like gin and tonic…or just plain tonic. It is an acquired taste, but some people really like it. It’s also possible that the FDA doesn’t consider tonic water a danger to public health.

Because of this loophole, many people have discovered that drinking tonic water can help prevent muscle cramps. One reader related her experience:

“I suffered with nightly leg cramps until one magic day on the Greek island Santorini. I had gone on tour as a guest singer of the New York Choral Society. One free afternoon, a group of us went to a black sand beach where I swam. The only other member of the group who also swam was a New York trauma surgeon. I developed a cramp and was trying to walk it out when he told me about Schweppes tonic, which contains a very small amount of quinine.

“I couldn’t find any tonic on Santorini or in Athens, but as soon as I returned home I started drinking a large glass (diet, with cranberry) every night. It has worked for me for several years, but I definitely know if I skip a dose!

“I asked a pharmacist friend to search the literature to see if anything else contains a small amount of quinine. She couldn’t find anything and told me the dangers of using high-dose quinine. I have checked with my doctors and have heard nothing against my practice of drinking Schweppes.”

Tonic contains 83 mg. of quinine in a liter. An eight-ounce glass of tonic would only have about 20 mg of quinine, considerably less than the dose that used to be prescribed by doctors for leg cramps (200 to 300 mg).

Tonic Water Works for Muscle Cramps

Despite the low dose, however, many readers maintain that it works:

“My doctor recommended tonic water for nocturnal leg cramps. It works every time very quickly. In less than five minutes I get relief and can go back to sleep. I suffer NO pains if I drink half a glass before I go to bed.”

Carmel in New York reports:

“I had horrible cramps in my legs. I have been drinking several glasses of tonic water for the past 3 or 4 weeks and surprisingly the cramping has subsided. At least now I can sleep the night. It’s not too bad tasting with lime.”

Mariza in Los Angeles shares this experience:

“I too used to have such intense legs cramps leaving me writhing in pain. They could occur daily, day or night. I couldn’t even flex my leg muscles. I learned to deal with it by drinking a glass of tonic water, but only after the pain had already started.”

Even Tonic Water Has Some Hazards

Some people find even the small amount of quinine in tonic water can pose problems. These folks may experience ringing in the ears, rash, itching or blurred vision and should steer clear of tonic water altogether.

There are those who are so sensitive that even a little bit of quinine could prove life threatening.

“Quinine in tonic water proved almost fatal for me. Nighttime leg cramps have been an ongoing problem, so I bought a bottle of tonic water.

“On Saturday I had a 5-ounce glass before supper. Sunday morning by 9 am I was in the emergency room with a frightening skin reaction. I was hospitalized for many days and diagnosed with a dangerous blood disorder called idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP). My hematologist said it was triggered by the quinine water.”

We have also heard from people who developed tinnitus after drinking tonic:

“I have just developed a hissing sound in my ears. The onset was very rapid! The doctor diagnosed it as tinnitus, but would give me no reason for the problem. He said there wasn’t anything I could do. I’ve noticed some days it is less disturbing than others but some nights it awakens me because it has become so loud.

“I was drinking large quantities of tonic water, which contains quinine, when this started. Do you have any suggestions to help me?”

The quinine in tonic is the likely culprit. Ringing or hissing in the ears can be a complication of quinine. Tonic water should be discontinued completely.

What Else Can You Do for Leg Cramps?

For people who cannot tolerate or stand the taste of tonic water, there are alternatives. The FDA has approved no medications for easing leg cramps. That means most doctors have very little to offer patients in pain.

Judy in Issaquah, Washington did get some intriguing advice from her doctor:

“I was prescribed quinine tablets 5 years ago for my leg cramps. I had to get them from a Canadian pharmacy and they worked wonders. However, one should not take this drug forever and my doctor didn’t want to renew the prescription.

“When I ran out of pills, I immediately starting having leg cramps again. Some nights I would have as many as 10. Horrible, horrible.

“Then another doctor suggested putting Irish Spring hand soap under my bottom sheet. It works wonders. The only problem is that after about 5 days, I might get a tiny little cramp and I know it is time to shave the soap bar. I prefer this to taking more pills like the quinine or magnesium (which did not ever work for me).”

We were fascinated to read that a physician would recommend soap under the bottom sheet to prevent leg cramps. Most health professionals scoff at this home remedy. We have received numerous comments that this must be a placebo effect. That’s because these people have not considered a possible mechanism. We recently explained how soap could work to prevent leg cramps in this article.

How to Stop Hand Cramps with a Bar of Soap

Other Ways to Overcome Leg Cramps:

Thanks to a Nobel prize winner (Rod MacKinnon, MD) and his neurobiologist colleague Bruce Bean, PhD, we now have an explanation for how things like a spoonful of mustard make muscle cramps go away within a couple of minutes.

How Does A Teaspoon of Mustard Cure Muscle Cramps?

It all has to do with stimulating sensory nerves in the mouth, throat and stomach. That probably explains why mustard, quinine and pickle juice are so effective at relieving muscle cramps promptly. If you would like to learn a lot more about how to get relief from nocturnal leg cramps, our Guide to Leg Pain has instructions on stretching as well as a range of remedies. You will also find lots of suggestions in our 264-page book from National Geographic, The People’s Pharmacy Quick & Handy Home Remedies: Q&As for Your Common Ailments.

The People’s Pharmacy Quick and Handy Home Remedies

Share your own solutions to leg cramps and your experience with tonic water in the comment section below.

Revised: January 5, 2017

1. Leone
    Rego Park Queens New York

My Doctor stopped me from taking Quinine which I used for horrendous leg cramps, sometime getting them in both my legs at the same time. I was always told one would have to drink so much Tonic Water with Quinine something that would be hard to do. The leg cramps were so painful and my Husband would try to relieve them for me. I would scream in pain and even said certain things that I would never think of saying or doing.

One day, I had about 20 or so Leg Cramps and I told him I will try the Canada Dry Tonic Water with Quinine. I drank about 10 – 12 ounces that night and no leg cramps the next day. I drink 10-12 ounces of this Tonic water during the day all at once not even taking a breath and gulp it down for the last 6 months or so and only have had 2 leg cramps one being June 13, 2018. So that day I drank a few ounces more. I hated drinking this tonic water as it is awful.

I decided to let it get to room temperature and sometimes I drink it all at dinner. So my advice is TRY IT – IT WORKS FOR ME and do it at ROOM TEMPERATURE. There are no words to describe how I feel not having those horrendous leg cramps and how happy my Husband is. BTW: They sell it in Diet!

2. Barbara
    Danville, Ca.

Leg cramps can be painful if you are on a dialysis treatment. The best advice I can offer is to have someone massage the leg and have the technician administer saline into your blood flow. It will work but minutes always feel like hours.

3. LINDA
    CALIFORNIA

Hello, I started drinking tonic water w/quinine about 10 months ago. I only drank tonic water. No water at all. So I would drink about 2 to 3 liters a day. I thought it was quenching my thirst and it was healthy. Little did i know that it was affecting my heart, my blood, and my kidneys. I had gone into the hospital twice with a-fib and they had to shock my heart back into normal heartbeat. Then i had to be put on heart medications.

Suddenly my kidneys were not doing well and my blood platelets were low. I figured it out when i went online and looked up quinine and the dangers. I have been creating my own health problems with ingesting large doses of quinine. I was also in the hospital 6 times in one week with severe nosebleeds that could not be stopped.

It all makes perfect sense now. Please do not drink tonic water with quinine as a beverage like I did. It can take your life and make you very very sick.

4. Sandee

We buy a product that has been on the market for leg cramps: apple cider vinegar found at any health food or grocery store in the vitamin section. It works in seconds when rubbed into the skin. Will try it for restless leg syndrome. Mustard works well also.

5. ELAINE BAKER
    PA

If I hadn’t read your article I might have continued using tonic. I have a swollen liver, I had a rash and I have ringing in the ears. Thank you for this website. I am going to stop drinking tonic. Hopefully, the issues will clear up.

6. Chris
    Canada

Cataplex F from standard process works like a charm in less than a minute for leg cramps. Chew 1×2 pills…that taste nasty but they work! I have been using these for 4 years and am amazed how quickly they work.

7. Janie
    Portland OR

I used to get leg cramps so severe that it literally made me scream. The cramps were either in the foot or calf. I once had it happen in my thigh. The cramps in my feet felt like it could break the bones in my toes. They even resulted in pain that lasted for several days in the affected area, like from a pulled muscle. I had read about plain yellow mustard and pickle juice. I tried a healthy squirt of mustard not expecting any relief. I couldn’t believe complete relief in just a couple of minutes. A couple of minutes is actually a VERY long time when you’re enduring a cramp.

I’ve since taken a preventive dose whenever I get any pre-cramp symptoms with great success. I once got a particularly bad attack and had a shot of mustard that I washed down with pickle juice. It was amazing. The attacks don’t reoccur that night. And in general the attacks have greatly dismissed. I still keep a few packets of yellow mustard on my nightstand. I can’t believe how something so simple has worked so well.

8. Gloria
    Arkansas

Thank you, for all the comments, and personal experiences. I’ve had severe leg cramps for years, which began as RLS… Tried a small amount of tonic water, with Quinine, and …so far- gone. Will d more research, based on this article. Thanks !!

9. Kathy
    Illinois

I too have suffered with severe leg cramps, mostly in the ham string of my thigh. They are so debilitating, I can’t stand, sit, or lie down. On the advice of my doctor, I mixed some tonic water with orange juice and used that for about 3 weeks. Suddenly, I couldn’t walk across a room without finding a chair to sit down. I was short of breath and felt such fatigue. Went to the doctor and he routinely drew blood. I was severely anemic with my hemaglobin at 6.5 . Had a blood transfusion and felt better. The dr. said I must be losing blood somewhere. Had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. Both were normal. It took a year for my blood to get right again.

Here I am a year later and found some Hyland pills at the pharmacy. I read the label and there was no quinine. I even asked the pharmacist and she said no quinine in them. I began taking them for leg cramps three weeks ago. Same symptoms reappeared as before. Today I had to get a blood transfusion as my hemaglobin had dropped to 6.3 again. I googled the ingredients on the box of Hylands and sure enough, one ingredient was a different name for quinine. Everyone please be wary of taking quinine. I am super sensitive to it and will never ingest it again. I guess I will just live with the leg cramps or try some of the suggestions on this website

10. Mistreated Patient
    Germany

In recent years, at times, I had night time leg cramps and I know they are a symptom of some particular health problems, as well as how to cure them. But I have to make a little discourse to explain.

Throughout my life I have been diagnosed with low levels of iron and deficiency of vitamins like B12 or D, but no physician ever tried to go beyond treating a single symptom at a time. At almost 50 I discovered the cause of these problems as well as my persisting diarrhea-like symptoms: Though apparently it’s not a celiac disease I don’t tolerate well wheat and similar grains. Quite likely this is not caused by a specific protein, like gluten or better it’s gliadin fraction, but their unfavorable amino acid composition. Why? The symptoms disappeared within two or three days when I improved my protein supply, e.g. with protein shakes, and after some years have vanished almost completely.

From this experience, I developed a habit of daily taking iron, vitamin B complex, D, and magnesium supplements. But there are times when I forget about that over my workload, which also causes me to drink a cup of rather strong coffee in the morning, to wake up. If that continues for a couple of days I’m likely to experience night time leg cramps, which disappear as soon as I leave off the coffee and again take up my medication.

11. Tammy
    Alaska

With all of the meds out there that the FDA approves that cause horrible side affects & are either recalled or facing class action lawsuits & they are worried about “some” people being sensitive to quinine? And instead of making it available in ONLY low doses for leg cramps they make it completely unavailable except in tonic water. Yeah, that makes sense….not.
    I have fibromyalgia & lately I have been experiencing severe leg cramps. Baclofen has not relieved them completely but has helped with other fibromyalgia issues I was having. I have used organic cider vinegar (2 tsp. in 8 oz. water) & that did help at one point as did simply eating pickles or drinking the juice. My guess it is the vinegar in that that also helps. I have also tried a holistic OTC product. That also worked for a long while but is less effective recently. They also have a product for restless leg that works very well for me, my brother & my dad who all suffer from restless leg.
    But back to the leg cramps, recently my dr. suggested tonic water, 1/2 cp. before bed so I will be trying that hoping it will be successful.

12. JeanOAP
    Hampshire UK

In the mornings when I stretched my legs to go the toilet, both calves and front shins got cramps, and I found it hard to rub. When it did ease off then both big toes also had cramps. Someone suggested Tonic water because it had the ingredient Quinine in it. Had a glass every evening with dash of orange squash. It did work for me but had to leave cap off through the day as I don’t like carbonated drinks normally ?

• Sabine M
      England: Norfolk

What is wrong with eating bananas in order to boost your potassium levels? Surely that helps?

13. Judy
    OK

I am 77 years old and developed severe leg cramps fairly often at night about 2 – 3 years ago. I started drinking more water and taking two Turmeric capsules a day which has helped to slow down the frequency of the cramps. My doctor also recommended trying tonic water, pickle juice or gatorade.

Then just about 2 weeks ago, I was discussing the cramps with some friends on face book and one of them said a sure cure is drink about a Tablespoon of straight “VINEGAR” when leg cramps occur. It is “awful” and sort of upsets my stomach, but the two times I have tried it, the leg cramps have stopped!

I will continue the turmeric capsules and try to stay hydrated to avoid these horrible cramps and use the vinegar if and when they develop. Most of my leg cramps are “not” charlie horses, but occur along the outside of my legs from my knees to my ankles.

14. LuAnn
    Rapid City in western South Dakota

My DOCTOR advised me (when I was wanting to not take so many pills for RLS) the drink DIET TONIC WATER and be sure it had the QUININE in it. To mask the bitter taste, she told me to put like lemon or lime slices (even a grape or a berry). I drank and drank it night and day non stop. It did NOT change the RLS problem. I began having horrible stomach churning like my stomach was turning over or doubling over and twisting in on itself. Then more lower intestinal problems like BOTH constipation AND diarrhea at the same time. Then wild dreams and being very tired – sleeping too much. I didn’t know what the causes were or are. So I just stopped taking the Diet Tonic Quinine water. There were 3-5 days of these symptoms continuing but gradually diminishing. Restless Leg Syndrome is just as on going and present as it ever was. ??

15. Avotts
    Mississippi

I will share my situation. I found this forum while trying to find how to make quinine for myself. I have been using Hylands and tonic water for years. They both helped but I did not use them every day. I talked to my MD several times. My cramps got worse. I would scream and scream, that is all I could do. One day I screamed so loud and long that I herniated my vocal chords. I could not make a sound and I could not move. I was swallowing blood.

While on vacation, my cramps got so bad that I bailed out of the van I was driving and was lying on my back in someones yard screaming in utter agony. My poor mother in law rubbed my legs for hours with Voltaren gel.

Upon returning home, I contacted a nearby compounding pharmacy. They have quinine with magnesium. I needed my doc to write a script, he did. I was amazed at the relief I got. I had never taken magnesium. Fearing not being able to always get the compound, I decided to try OTC Mg. Well, It makes me very sleepy and tears my guts up. I must eat before taking the Mg. It does work for the cramps.

I eventually realized that driving and sitting any time at all with my legs dangling brings on the cramps, as does any form of activity. I had to give up exercising in my pool, because it was too dangerous. I forced myself to become house bound most of the time.

I am now using Mag OX OTC and 10 meq Potassium, Rx. We just did the worlds longest yard sale, some leg discomfort. Drank my powerade, took the Mg and K. I buy several 1 liter bottles of Tonic water every trip to the grocery store. I refuse to live without some form of quinine. I have my bottle of Hylands, a 1 lt bottle of Tonic water and a bottle of Gator Ade by my bed as I am typing this.

If anyone suffered the way I did and did not find help, they must be dead by now. My advise is stay hydrated. Find what works and stick with it.

16. robert
    patoka indiana

I really enjoy drinking gin & tonic and tend to drink several at a time. I have changed to drinking tonic water with a slice of lime and a dash of diet sprite (zero). This satisfies my craving for gin & tonic and saves me a bundle. I use real limes or even bottled lime. The tonic water costs 67 cents for a liter and a bottle of Zero lasts many weeks.

17. Ray
    New York

With the advice of my doctor to try tonic water for the my severe multiple night time leg cramps I was able to eliminate them by drinking 12 oz. a day.

18. dr d
    PA

Gatorade works too — for leg cramps
    also — if you do get a cramp ( in your foot / leg ), bend your toes towards the front of your legs to stop it

19. bill
    winchester va

I mix mio orange with diet tonic water and it taste like the orange crush drink that I grow up with.i keep it beside my bed I never have cramps

20. Cap10
    Pottstown, PA

I almost never experienced leg cramps until this year. The excruciating pain would propel me right out of bed and would have to be walked off before I could return. Also, I sit at a desk at work and sometimes experienced the same cramping when I absent-mindedly tucked my legs under my chair.

“Dr. Google” suggested a possible potassium deficiency or dehydration, but increasing my water intake and of foods containing potassium did little to fend off the attacks.

Then, while seeing my Primary Care Physician for a regular Wellness visit, I happened to mention the severe leg cramps. He tends toward a more holistic approach, when possible, and suggested I begin mixing Tonic water and juice before going to bed.

The relief was instantaneous! For the first time in a very long while, I was finally able to sleep through the night, go figure!

I experience none of the noticeable side effects mentioned on the web and have to confess, I am a little anxious about some of the more severe side effects, but I cannot imagine going back to the unbearable pain and sleepless nights!

Tonic water is cheap enough, so for now, I’ll continue using it and keep an eye out for the side effects. (One nice benefit of Tonic water’s bitter taste: no one else in the house will touch it!)

21. Carlin
    Bedford, TX

While on a volunteer work project and suffering from leg cramps, a group of high school
    football players said they drank dill pickle juice when practicing in August heat. I tried it
    and got some relief. I used this until I found out about tonic water that really gives me
    the relief I needed.

22. Jim
    Florida

I had two small bottles of quinine tonic, and now my ears are ringing continually. The FDA should have made these losers put a warning label on their drink if they are going to sell to the public. This is ridiculous. What the hell good is the FDA if they are not honest with the public?

23. Daniel
    USA- Pa

I drink a six ounce glass of Tonic water for leg cramps that were so bad I would freeze were ever I stood and at night would have to roll on the floor and stretch my legs straight out to get any relief, my Dr told me 6 ounces every day so I tried it every 2 day’s and no leg or hand cramps since very good remedy I ever had the relief us soothing .I am grateful for that advice no reactions drinking the tonic and Orange Juice

24. Lynne

Quinine in tonic water also prevents or relieves restless legs syndrome. I always order a gin and tonic on a plane trip of 3 hours or more, when I am likely to get RLS. It works perfectly and also makes the flight more relaxing.