food got stuck

Have you ever had a problem when food got stuck in your swallowing tube? If it blocked your breathing, that would be a life-threatening emergency. But food stuck in the esophagus is uncomfortable and can be difficult to dislodge. Surprisingly, Coca-Cola is a medically approved home remedy in this situation.

Coca-Cola Helped When Food Got Stuck:

Q. During a meal at home, I tried to swallow a piece of stew meat that was a little too large. Unfortunately, this piece of food got stuck. It lodged in my esophagus about half-way down and would not budge. It didn’t impair my breathing, so I wasn’t choking, but it definitely was a problem.

My son went online and found a suggestion that could be a life saver: Take a drink of ice-cold Coca Cola to move the obstruction. I did so and the meat moved instantly with no more problems. I thought you might like to know about this.

Is There Support for the Coca-Cola Approach?

A. Your story intrigued us. We went searching the medical literature for confirmation and were surprised to discover that this remedy has been utilized by health care practitioners for decades (Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, March 1993).

Norwegian gastroenterologists studied 100 patients who came to them when food got stuck in their food tubes (Gastroenterology Research and Practice, online Nov. 18, 2013).

They concluded:

“The treatment of choice of impacted food in the esophagus is endoscopic removal. In cases where this is difficult, we recommend treatment with Coca-Cola and Creon for 2-3 days before complications occur.”

Creon is a combination of pancreatic enzymes that can help digest food. If food blocks the airway, though, it is a medical emergency. In such a case, call 911 immediately and try the Heimlich maneuver.

Get The Graedons' Favorite Home Remedies Health Guide for FREE

Join our daily email newsletter with breaking health news, prescription drug information, home remedies AND you'll get a copy of our brand new full-length health guide — for FREE!

  1. Clayton
    Lexington, NC

    Although I know a good cure for the swallowing problem, I have been lax lately with my health and I need to get back to what I know. Good digestion is aided by the enzymes that are in salvia. It’s recommended that food should be chewed until it is almost liquefied. Additional chewing increases the salvia that is mixed with each bite of food and saliva contains enzymes that break down food for digestion and absorption into the bloodstream. Food not chewed properly will not digest very well and will cause many digestive problems, including getting stuck in the esophagus. My next meal I will get back to chewing my food thoroughly, I will eat less, because the digestive juices in the salvia will make me fill full quicker, therefore I will lose weight and the swallowing problem will go away. That should also help with my high blood sugar and high blood pressure.

What Do You Think?

We invite you to share your thoughts with others, but remember that our comment section is a public forum. Please do not use your full first and last name if you want to keep details of your medical history anonymous. A first name and last initial or a pseudonym is acceptable. Advice from other commenters on this website is not a substitute for medical attention. Do not stop any medicine without checking with the prescriber. Stopping medication suddenly could result in serious harm. We expect comments to be civil in tone and language. By commenting, you agree to abide by our commenting policy and website terms & conditions. Comments that do not follow these policies will not be posted. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Your cart

Shipping and discount codes are added at checkout.