hand sanitizer

To keep infections from spreading in health care facilities, health care workers must get germs off their hands effectively. The World Health Organization (WHO) believes that hand sanitizer is better than hand-washing because it is faster and more effective at removing germs.

Using Hand Sanitizer to Get Germs Off Hands:

How do you apply hand sanitizer? The WHO has developed a six-step 30-second procedure that it recommends for health care workers. But a study conducted in Switzerland suggests that all six steps may not be necessary.

The WHO technique starts with a palm full of alcohol-based sanitizer. Then the individual rubs the hands palm to palm. After that, the person places the right hand over the left and interlaces the fingers, then switches. Then he or she rubs the palms together with the fingers interlaced. After that, the worker scrubs the back of each hand against the opposing palm and covers both thumbs in sanitizer. There’s little doubt this should be a good way to get germs off, but people don’t always take the time to follow these steps exactly.

Can You Use a Less Complex Technique for Removing Germs?

The researchers, led by Dr. Sarah Tschudin-Sutter of University Hospital Basel in Switzerland, compared four hand sanitizing techniques in 20 volunteers. One group followed the WHO recommendations, with a 30 second process. A second group followed a similar procedure but for only 15 seconds. The third and fourth groups followed a simpler three-step procedure for 30 and 15 seconds respectively. Fifteen seconds proved just as good at reducing bacterial counts on the hands as 30 seconds, and the simplified procedure worked to get germs off as well as the six-step one.

The investigators reported these results at the European Congress of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases in Amsterdam on April 15, 2019.

1. Sara
    Southeastern FL

I’m really surprised no one brought up that we NEED GERMS to be healthy.

People are so concerned with killing germs.

I’m certain circumstances I agree, wash your hands. I never ever use hand sanitizer, and being OCD, I can really get down with some washing my hands all the time stuff. I can wash up to 50x a day — but you know what? It’s silliness. The average American washes their hands 8x a day. Dirty people. (Hahaha just kidding!)

In any case, People’s Pharmacy just did an article that showed that hand washing did not actually stop the spread of flu, which I think is the number 1 killer of humans ever — by far and away. The article said you have to get a specific kind of mask.

In any case, let’s not get all crazy about washing. Go play in the dirt.

I just saw an article that said the best thing you can do for your health is to eat dirt….. but I’m not quite there yet. :)

2. Claudia
    MD

I am interested in the ZooNo. I have a lot of problems with eczema on my hands which is made worse with multiple applications of hand sanitizer or even repeated washing with soap and water. I try to use gloves but they aren’t always available.

3. Chris
    Wisconsin

When I was volunteering as a patient advocate at a hospital where I used to live, we had a training session on best practices for preventing the spread of germs, which included effective hand-washing. The nurse-educator who taught the class stressed that friction was an important element in killing germs, in conjunction with antibacterial soaps or sanitizer gels. What’s described in the article — rubbing palms, back of hands, and then interlacing fingers — are the exact steps she taught us.

4. Sherri
    PA

From the time I was a small child, my mother (a nurse) said to wash my hands from the elbows down to finger tips while singing the ABC song, twice. The last line changes from “Now I know my ABC’s” to “Now I know my hands are clean.” Genius for a small child or not so small senior.

5. mike
    nyc

As with many of your articles, this one actually makes you more confused on topics that you didn’t even know you were confused about before you read them!

6. Kathryn
    TX

What about the thought that hand sanitizer “weakens immunity” to germs? This is a hot topic when talking about the use of hand sanitizer. Some researchers say that frequent use of hand sanitizer will cause a resistance to both good and bad bacteria, which could hurt your immune system in fighting off infections. The Food and Drug Administration acknowledges this data and stresses that hand sanitizer is not a replacement for frequent hand washing.” ?

7. FacsRfriendly
    Texas

Use of hand sanitizers is recommended by the WHO while our archaic FDA wants to eliminate such and “just wash your hands.” How ludicrous. Once again it emphasizes the ridiculous out of touch appointees that make unattainable recs for us. There are virtually no antibacterial soaps available to the general public, “just wash your Hands.” JMHO.

8. Roxy
    TX

I guess you just rub the alcohol-based hand sanitizer all over your hands for 15 seconds. If you sing “Happy Birthday To You” while doing it, in the usual tempo, that’s about 15 seconds! I timed it – ha-ha-ha!

9. Gale
    Charlotte

How can you write such an interesting article which leads up to a 3 step simplified procedure for washing your hands well, then never tell what that 15 second procedure is?

10. Marlene
    Memphis, TN

I was in my daughter’s room in the hospital after she had had major surgery. Her cardiologist came in, grabbed a glove (not a pair) from the dispenser on the wall and proceeded to check on her. He never put the glove on and never washed his hands (obviously not a fan of hand sanitizer since he didn’t use that either). This is the first time I’ve heard about the WHO technique. I don’t use such a complicated technique, but I was really interested in the shorter simpler method. I’m still interested but uninformed about how to do it. ???

11. Cath
    WA

I’m guessing that it is the procedure described in the 30 second routine but conducted in 15 seconds.

12. GEORGIA
    N.C.

Why is it important to take Rs meds at a designated time of Day? What difference does it make if your cholestero-loweringl medicine is taken at bedtime or your hypertension lowering meds are taken in the AM?
    I am 89 years old and take all my prescribed meds at midday which is AM because that is the end of my required 8 hours sleep time. I forget to take my PM meds. ;therefore I decided that as long as I take them and the medicine is in my system, the time of day should not make a difference.

13. Paula
    Sequim, WA

I also want to know what is the simpler procedure??????

14. SSA
    TX

And the shorter process is …???

15. Cathy
    Seattle Wa

What is the 15 second procedure that has been proven effective??
    Article doesn’t share this info!!

16. Liz

Yes, where is the description of the technique? The article is relatively useless without it. (And video demonstration would be even more helpful!)

17. Cherrie
    Wisconsin

I’ve always done this: Rub palms together up & down with fingers interlaced, rub both hands around each other from wrist to fingertips, rub palm on back of opposite hand with fingers interlaced, interlace thumbs at base and go around a few times, and rub each hand around opposite wrist. Getting between fingers seems most important to me.

18. Mitchell
    Dallas

I, too, would like to know the less complex procedure.

19. Edward
    Northbrook, IL

What a worthless article.

20. Sandy
    Toms River, NJ

What Harold and Valerie said.

21. Chris Beecher
    NC

Is either demonstrably better than soap and water?

22. Harold
    Ontario,Ca

Interesting, but you didn’t describe the “Less Complex Technique for Removing Germs”?

23. Ralph
    New Jersey

There is a new antibiotic hand sanitizer gel on the market that claims 24-hour effectiveness after application. It is called ZooNo and they claim that for 24 hours, the gel is effective in killing most germs that are encountered, as opposed to standard gels which only kill germs upon application as the gel dries. (Once standard gels are dry there is little or no protection against germs, so reapplications are necessary throughout the day.) ZooNo, if effective, is a significant step up for hand sanitizers. It is more expensive than standard gels, and is available in small or medium-sized aerosol containers. But if it protects you from germs for 24 hours, it will be a real advance in hand hygiene. It’s available through drug stores, and Amazon (of course). I’m currently using it, but have no way of testing to see how well it works. Thought I’d give you folks a heads up on this new product.

24. Herb
    Dc

Did I miss something as the article does not appear to explain what the 15 second technique actually is! What a useless and ridiculous article. At least have a link to a website that explains how to sanitize your hands in 15 seconds

• Terry Graedon

We have asked the lead researcher to explain the shorter technique.

25. Valerie
    Greenville, SC

So, what is the simplified procedure??