wart on a finger

Warts are mysterious growths on the skin that are caused by the human papillomavirus. If you wonder why we term them mysterious, just think back to a case of warts you have witnessed or experienced. Why did they crop up? When did they leave? How can you make warts disappear? There are a lot of remedies, and some of them are pretty peculiar.

Can You Make Warts Disappear with Suggestion?

Q. Years ago, I lived next door to a little girl who had lots of warts. She had been to many doctors without success.

My little boy brought her to me (he thought I knew everything). I told her I would buy them for a dime, but she could never have them back. I made a big thing about buying them and soon they all disappeared.

A few months later, I met her dad in a grocery store and he whispered to me, “Are you a witch?” Just too cute.

I learned this when I was a kid. A cousin had warts and one of our uncles bought them from him. It worked then and it still works, decades later.

A. “Buying” warts is a trick that goes back generations. Suggestion can be powerful medicine. It works especially well for youngsters with warts. Apparently the immune system is capable of making warts disappear under the influence of the placebo effect.

Warts should be examined by a doctor to make sure that they are not a more serious problem, such as a skin cancer, posing as a wart,

Other Remedies That Can Make Warts Disappear:

Q. My 6-year-old granddaughter has warts on her legs. The doctor said to leave them alone, as they will go away in a year or two. The problem is they spread, maybe because they blister and scab. Is there anything we can use to rid her of these ugly, itchy warts?

Choosing the Best Remedy for Warts:

A. The dermatologist is right that warts often go away on their own, especially in children. Most people don’t want to wait a couple of years, though.

If you can’t find someone willing to buy them, here are some of our favorite wart remedies:

• Cut a piece of banana peel the size of the wart and tape it over the wart with the fleshy inner side of the peel on the skin. Change it daily.
  • Apply a few drops of castor oil to the wart, cover with a bandage and reapply daily.
  • Cover the warts with duct tape cut to size. Replace the duct tape after several days.
  • Rub the warts with lemon juice or vinegar several times a day.
  • If all else fails, ask the pediatrician if it would be OK to use cimetidine (Tagamet). One mother reported that her 7-year-old son suffered with more than 20 warts for over two years. Nothing worked. Then she gave him Tagamet twice a day. Within a month most of the warts were gone.

Selecting the best remedy to make warts disappear will depend to some extent on what you and her parents are willing to do, and what she is willing to put up with. Children are particularly sensitive to suggestion when it comes to warts, so make sure that you talk up the remedy you use and let her know it is super-effective. Some dermatologists use pseudo-magical incantations to help boost the power of a wart treatment, and it does seem to help.

If you need other suggestions on treating her warts, you may be interested in our book, The People’s Pharmacy Quick & Handy Home Remedies. This book offers remedies from readers for all manner of problems.

1. Pat
    Wimberley

My grandfather was a farmer far from the city and had no access to doctors, and I was 6 years old. To get rid of 2 persistent warts on my hand, he told me to bury a small stick. I did, and it worked!

2. Laura
    Seattle WA

Our pediatrician suggested we rub the warts gently with an emery board each night. Sure enough, the warts faded away and never came back. Was it the irritation of the emery board or the power of suggestion that we were actively invoking our body to put some healing on these warts? Who knows?

3. Bob
    Monroe, NC

Many years ago, a friend had several warts on her hands and fingers that became troublesome. She visited a surgeon who told her that removing them surgically would possibly damage her fingers, and therefore he ruled that out. A cousin told me to advise her to apply hydrogen peroxide (ordinary peroxide from the drug store) to the warts two or three times a day for a week or so. She did, and the warts all dried up and disappeared, never to return.

4. Mary S
    IL

My older sister came upon a remedy all on her own as a young pre-teen. She dabbed the “milk” of the milkweed plant on her wart and it disappeared. My cousin did the same & it also helped her. We were lucky to live in the country and had an ample supply. But worth growing in your garden if you are susceptible to warts! These were the tall milkweed with pink/white flowers.

5. Lemay
    95678

When I was a young girl, an older man in our small town said that he could cure warts.
    had a friend who had warts all over both hands so I took him to “Rex”. He rubbed oil all over both hands, massaging it in. In 2 weeks the warts were all gone and we returned to show Rex and thank him.

6. Anonymous
    U.S.

I had forgotten all about this “miracle cure.” My mom used it on my brother in the 1960s – effectively!

The mind and body are truly inscrutable and amazing wonders.

7. Nancy
    FL

My grandmother (she was born on 1903) used to get a wart on her fingers occassionally. She would get rid of them by rubbing a peeled potato on the wart and then burying the potato in the back yard! It always worked.

8. LeRoy
    Castle Rock, CO

I was born in 1941, and back when I was a teenager, I had wart on my forearm. Someone told me to put toothpaste on it, no brand mentioned, and cover it with a bandaid. That removed it very quickly. Years later as a young father, our daughter came to me one day with her girlfriend, age about 10 years, who had a wart on her hand, and I gave her the same advice, and it worked. That was about 50 years ago, and they still think I am a genius!!

9. Lucille
    Alberta...

Yes they can be BOUGHT. When I was a kid my uncle bought mine away for a nickel. All I needed was BELIEF !