black pepper better, pour black pepper

Who knows where home remedies come from? Most of the time, their history is untraceable. Who first thought to pour black pepper on a cut to staunch the bleeding? We have no idea. If you search the internet, you will find this remedy attributed to resourceful cooks in restaurant kitchens. Presumably, they used whatever was close at hand that might work. You’ll also find a statement that soldiers in World War II used black pepper to treat bleeding wounds. One reader attributed this practice to a different, earlier war.

Do You Pour Black Pepper on Cuts to Stop Bleeding?

Q. I recall an old story that people started to pour black pepper on cuts or abrasions to stop bleeding because the Confederacy used gun powder for the same purpose. Presumably, the two products have similar clotting powers, though I’m not sure of the truth of the tale.

Black Pepper Saved a Shirt Collar:

At my son’s wedding, I used black pepper on a groomsman’s shaving cut when the styptic pen would not work. This young “MD to be” was amazed. I was amused. It saved the white shirt collar.

A. We couldn’t find any confirmation of the Confederate war story, though we also didn’t find authoritative debunking. There don’t appear to be any studies of black pepper to stop bleeding, but many other readers have found it helpful.

One reader wrote from British Columbia:

“Many years ago my elderly mum got a nasty cut on her hand and poured black pepper on it and wrapped it up. Her landlady, who was a retired nurse, stopped in for a visit and wanted to take a look at the cut. She decided that mum should see a doctor so off they went. He was astonished to discover the pepper on the wound and seemed surprised because he had never heard of using it. Mum said she thought it was a coagulant and had antiseptic properties. Anyway, the wound was clean, and he had to do a few stitches but it healed up beautifully. Mum said she must have learned to pour black pepper on a cut from growing up on a remote farm with no medical help close by.”

Black pepper doesn’t work for everyone, however.

Bob from South Carolina wrote:

“Black pepper never worked for me. I cut my finger once with a new knife and tried the black pepper treatment for about a half hour with no luck. Had to go to the ER where they used the medical glue which worked instantly. I’ve tried pepper on other smaller cuts but never had any success with it.”

Don’t Forget to Use Pressure:

Keep in mind that first aid for bleeding is to apply pressure to the cut. Even black pepper works better if applied under a bandage that can offer some pressure. Do NOT try black pepper on a serious cut. If blood is spurting out, call 911 or get to the nearest emergency department immediately. Apply pressure on the way.

1. Terry
    Houston

When my sister was about 10, in the early 50’s, she was washing dishes, and a glass she was washing broke and cut a big “V” in the back of her hand. Blood was oozing up and spilling out. My mother was at work so we went next door to our neighbor who was in her 60’s, and she poured black pepper on the cut, and it stopped bleeding instantly!!! No pressure applied. Miraculous!!!

2. Lou
    San Antonio

I use black pepper applied with pressure and it works well.

3. Gary
    Long Grove, IL

Ah, so if you have a cut, the pepper spices it together!

4. Merry
    Liberty, Tx

My mother was on a blood thinner when she scrapped her shin. Nothing worked to stop the bleeding until I put black pepper on it. It did not take long for the bleeding to stop.
    Then it became the only thing I used and it always worked.

5. Pat
    TX

I’ve used black pepper many times on small cuts with pressure and had much success.

6. Rosemary
    Florida

Bob from South Carolina may be taking an aspirin everyday, in which case the bleeding would not stop.

7. Ron
    Merritt Island,

I don’t know where I first learned about Black pepper for wound treatment, but have used it several times with great success. When you are at a restaurant and don’t have a band-aid available it is a valuable tool.

8. Doris
    Texas

When I cut my finger recently while cooking, I remembered the black pepper “cure.” It worked quickly, much to my surprise. I have used it a second time with the same results. Neither time was it a deep cut, but the bleeding was interfering with what I was doing, so I figured it couldn’t hurt to try it. It is my go-to remedy now.

9. Tom
    Greensboro NC

I’ve used black pepper several times on small cuts with 100% great results. It doesn’t burn. It just stops the bleeding.

10. Mary
    NC

Years ago, my car overheated when I was out of town. I pulled into convenient store, and a young man who was a mechanic look at my car and said I had a leak in my water hose. It was a Sunday, and back then stores weren’t open. He went inside and bought a shaker of pepper and “clogged up” the water hose, and I drove over 200 miles home with no problems. Sounds like pepper does the same thing with a cut!

11. AC

I have often scratched an itchy scab without thinking and started it bleeding again. I’ve found that coarse ground black pepper is effective on smaller ones, forming a good clot even without pressure.

12. Susan
    Salisbury, UK

White pepper works as well, and I keep that in my cupboard just for cuts.