nails

Nails rarely get much medical attention. They just don’t seem as urgent as high blood pressure or diabetes. Despite this, nails are part of the way we present ourselves socially. Consequently, most people are quite concerned about the appearance of their nails. What should you know about keeping them healthy?

Nail Problems as Red Flags:

Although brittle nails that flake or split are distressing, most of the time this is not a sign of a serious disorder. Some nail problems can be due to nutritional deficiencies, autoimmune conditions or even malignancy, however, so ask a doctor to check a persistent abnormality. Infection and inflammation can affect the nail beds and nails just as they affect other parts of the body.

Nail Fungus:

People worry more about one common nail condition than is warranted. Nail fungus, which can turn nails thick and yellow, is NOT contagious. It can be treated, but in most instances treatment is not necessary. Early treatment is usually more successful than waiting, however. Athlete’s foot should be treated at the same time, since this is often the source of the fungus infecting the toenails.

Learn how to moisturize your nails and care for your cuticles. Find out about supplements (biotin) that may help strengthen weak nails.

Other Skin Problems:

Dandruff, jock itch and seborrheic dermatitis are other skin conditions associated with skin-dwelling fungi. Making the skin inhospitable to yeast is usually a good way to manage these conditions. We also discuss various treatments for rosacea, both oral and topical.

This Week’s Guest:

Chris G. Adigun, MD, FAAD, is a board-certified dermatologist who practices at the Dermatology and Laser Center of Chapel Hill, NC. Dr. Adigun is devoted to increasing public awareness of skin cancer and the harmful effects of U.V. rays—both medical and cosmetic. She has an academic specialty in nail disorders.

Listen to the Podcast:

The podcast of this program will be available the Monday after the broadcast date. The show can be streamed online from this site and podcasts can be downloaded for free. CDs may be purchased at any time after broadcast for $9.99.

Buy the CD

Download the mp3

Air Date:January 6, 2018

1. mianel
    NJ, The Garden State

Dear Joe and Terry,
    I love listening to your radio show via the “stream online from the site” feature on your website. For years I listened to you every week on the radio, until my local station dropped your show. I was really bummed about it until I discovered your website. Now I never miss a show and listen at my convenience. Many shows I’ve listened to multiple times. I can stop the feed and replay any part of the conversation that I want to have repeated. If I would take just a minute to download the podcast, I could be sure of having my favorite shows saved, and they would be more portable; but streaming from the site works fine, and the shows stay available on your website for quite a long time. I listen to a lot of public radio, and I look forward to hearing you guys every week. Though I realize none of us are aging in reverse, I hope we can all continue in this manner for a good long while.

I enjoy reading material too. I subscribe to your email newsletters, read your articles online, and have several of your books and pamphlets. You have put out an amazing amount of quality, useful information. I want to thank you for your dedication to truth and knowledge, and for providing this valuable service to us in such a pleasant manner. I realize this is a business as well, and I’m glad you have been successful enough to keep it going.

I understand how some people would find show transcripts useful. Have you considered the method that Dr Michael Greger uses for his online informational videos on his website, Nutrition Facts dot org? He has volunteers that do transcription from video to print. The transcriptions are posted along with the videos. I know nothing about what it takes to produce shows or transcripts. Even if you found volunteer workers, I imagine there would still be some additional costs and organizational hurdles involved with providing transcripts, so maybe it would be more trouble or more cost than it’s worth.

If you just keep doing what you’re doing, I, for one, will be very happy. Thank you for all you do, for your excellent radio show, and for all the useful information you have made available to us.

• Terry Graedon

Thank you, Mianel. We are exploring a way to offer transcripts of the shows.

2. Jan Haseltine-Watkins
    Isle of Wight, England, UK

I, too, prefer reading. A retired educationalist, I live with my English husband on a small island off the south coast of England. As I read your articles regularly, I see many people request written transcripts. As well, many sound as if they are retired and on a limited or fixed income, hence the need to pay for transcripts would be difficult. Is People’s Pharmacy unable to offer transcripts without additional costs? I would think both methods of transmitting necessary health information, podcasts and transcripts, should be available sans additional cost. Perhaps a tax deduction or write off?

3. Diane

I also have hearing loss. Please have your program available in script.
    I also comprehend better visually than aurally.

4. beth
    California

Zinc oxide is FAR MORE EFFECTIVE than sun screen. I use it all the time when I swim. Put on calves; neck; face and any body part exposed to sun. Washes off well with a petroleum-base make-up remover ever. No sun burn.

5. Cindy
    PA

I agree it would be great to get transcripts of podcasts.

• Terry Graedon

Let me ask this group: It costs money (because it takes time) to transcribe an interview. How much would you be willing to pay for a written transcript? And how many would you want to read in a month?

6. Betty

I do not listen to your podcasts because they are podcasts. Please, please, please, if the thoughts in the podcasts are worth sharing, let us read them.

7. Sandy
    Canada

Prefer to read an article As I am deaf.

8. Carol
    Louisville KY

I’m grateful for the podcasts and wish some of these people would try it. I don’t have the time to sit and read everything that I’d like to. So, the podcasts have been great as I can do the laundry, clean my house, cook dinner, etc. while listening!!

9. Abigail
    Binghamton,NY

Please transcribe
    The People’s Pharmacy
    Show 1105: How to Keep Your Nails Healthy and Beautiful
    so we can read it. Don’t like podcasts.

• Terry Graedon

Abigail, we would consider this if we could figure out how to pay for it. Would any of the people requesting transcripts be willing to pay for them? If so, how much for one?

10. Brooke
    Houston TX

I am 80, and my audiologist tells me that I am losing comprehension faster than losing hearing. I have always learned better through reading than through listening. Please, for the sake of those who are old and deaf, transcribe the podcasts into something we can read!

11. Gerry
    Fla

Would appreciate being able to read it, I don’t do podcasts.

12. Ray
    Texas

Don’t have time for Podcasts. Please post instead.
    I believe you would have many, many more folks reading vs watching.

• Debbie Beacom
      Ontario

I absolutely agree. I am a dementia caregiver for my husband, my time is scarce. If I could sit down and read it at my convenience it would be so appreciated.

13. Angie
    Indianapolis

Agree totally on reading! I will not listen to podcast. Tea Tree oil worked well for me. Recommended by my pharmacist. Went to Vitamin Shoppe and got the one recommended. Put on twice a day, let dry before socks. Cleared up in about 3 weeks