Listerine bottle, bug spray

When biting critters like mosquitoes and ticks carry dangerous diseases, as they often do nowadays, people need to pay close attention to keeping them away. The gold standard for bug repellents is DEET (diethyltoluamide), which has been used by the US Armed Forces since 1946. DEET is quite effective, but it has some drawbacks, including its ability to melt certain plastics and synthetic clothing. Is there another bug spray that would work?

An Unorthodox Bug Spray:

Q. You’ve written about bug spray and I want to share my solution. I apply Listerine to my arms and head before I work outside. I have never gotten bitten when I do this. The effect lasts for at least three hours.

A. So far as we know, Listerine has not been tested as a mosquito or tick repellent. However, you are not the only one who has used this product to keep bugs away.

Another reader wrote:

“Amber Listerine antiseptic has eucalyptus oil in it. I keep a spray bottle with a 50 percent solution mixed with water handy when I’m planning to go outside in the grass or at dusk when the mozzies are around.”

(“Mozzies” is Australian slang for mosquitoes. Perhaps it is fitting that eucalyptus trees are native to Australia.)

Some readers have suggested that spraying amber Listerine around a picnic table or other outdoor area discourages mosquitoes. Again, however, scientists have not tested and confirmed this use of Listerine.

Bug Spray Approved by the FDA:

People who prefer repellents that have been tested and found effective will want to look for products with DEET, oil of lemon eucalyptus or picaridin. DEET and picaridin also diminish the likelihood of attracting ticks. along with compounds called IR3535 and KBR3023 (Pages et al, Vector Borne Zoonotic Diseases, Feb. 2014).

Shoes, socks and pants legs impregnated with permethrin deter ticks as well. These are especially helpful for people who spend time outdoors in brushy areas but don’t want to apply bug spray to their skin.

When ticks, biting flies or midges are more troublesome than mosquitoes, wearing treated clothing and applying IR3535, oil of lemon eucalyptus or picaridin works better than relying on DEET bug repellent along (Diaz, Wilderness & Environmental Medicine, March 2016). Checking the skin carefully for ticks after spending time outside is an essential step in protecting yourself from tick-borne diseases such as Lyme disease or alpha-gal allergy.

1. Linda D

I would really like to read the info you printed about Celebrex and the other substitute from Green something. I am having very poor results from the current Celebrex being prescribed!!!

2. Stephen A
    NC

Using pesticide on your skin like Deet is Not Healthy !!! Even if the FDA approves it. Dermal absorption of Deet or Permethrin is Not healthy.

3. Nancy
    Dallas, TX

I put amber Listerine in a spray bottle, and it works well for taking away itching too!

4. Linda
    Beaverton, OR

I’m not surprised that Listerine applied to a picnic table could prevent flies and bees. I learned from the Girl Scouts in the 60’s to pour a Clorox solution over a picnic table with the same result. In warm weather the table dries immediately & then put on the table cloth.

5. Cheryl
    Illinois

I’ve tried Listerine on several occasions, and it simply, and sadly, does not work.

6. Carrie
    WI

Has anyone used regular or orange-flavored Listerine instead of the amber? Several in my family are allergic to eucalyptus.

• Abby
      Maryland

I made my own spray bottle using a combination of witch hazel, lavender oil and lemon oil. So far, so good. The nasty buggers hate both of those oils as well.

• Dianne
        Florida

Hi Abby , how did you mix your solution?
        Thanks