ginger turmeric and pepper spices, cognitive ability, curcumin control

A component of curry seems to have cognitive benefits in older adults. Curcumin is a principal ingredient in turmeric, and turmeric gives curry its distinctive yellow color. A new study of 40 people between 50 and 90 years old found that taking a curcumin supplement improved their cognitive ability, especially verbal and visual memory and attention (Small et al, American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, March 2018).

What Did the Researchers Do?

The UCLA investigators randomly assigned the volunteers to take curcumin or a placebo look-alike pill. (They used Theracurmin® 90 mg twice daily as the active supplement, chosen because it is more bioavailable than many other curcumin supplements.) The study subjects took tests before starting and every six months throughout the 18-month trial.

Three-fourths of them also underwent PET scans of their brains to detect changes. The scientists designed these images to detect signs of the plaques and tangles that characterize Alzheimer disease.

What Did the Study Reveal?

The people taking curcumin improved their cognitive test scores by 28 percent. Those who took the placebo capsules did not improve their scores. The group on the active supplement also registered a modest improvement in mood.

The PET scans revealed that those taking curcumin had less amyloid and tau apparent in their brains. These proteins are linked to Alzheimer-type dementia. A reduction of these proteins might help explain their improved cognitive ability.

Curcumin Side Effects:

Curcumin did produce some side effects. Four of the people on this supplement reported digestive distress, while two of those on placebo had a similar reaction.

Curcumin could also interact with warfarin or other anticoagulant medication to make bleeding more likely.

The investigators conclude,

“this relatively inexpensive and nontoxic treatment may have a potential for not only improving age-related memory decline but also preventing or possibly staving off progression of neurodegeneration and eventually future symptoms of Alzheimer disease.”

Other Benefits of Turmeric:

Turmeric has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years. It has powerful anti-inflammatory activity, which has been used to ease joint pain. Scientists have reported that it may help protect against cancer and liver disease. Some people find that taking curcumin or adding turmeric to the diet eases their psoriasis. This spice can trigger an allergic reaction for certain individuals, however, so a rash should be taken seriously.

Learn More:

You’ll find much more information about turmeric and other spices that help fight inflammation in our book, Spice Up Your Health: How Everyday Kitchen Herbs & Spices Can Lengthen & Strengthen Your Life.

1. Beth
    SC

What is the makers name for Theracurmin 90?
    I could not find it at Amazon.

2. Marti
    Raleigh NC

I have recently started taking 750 mg. of curcumin for arthritis pain and wonder if this is too much. Also I’d like to know more about the effect on macular degeneration and if it’s okay to use as a blood thinner. 81 mg. aspirin left me with red blotches at the slightest touch to my left arm and to a lesser degree on the right.

3. Marilyn
    TX

Is it correct that one shouldn’t take curcumin if they have macular degeneration?
    And if it is, why? And what about glaucoma and curcumin?

4. Victor
    Wet Palm Beach, Fl.

Have been using turmeric for 4 years by a sprinkle on my oatmeal every morning. Recently got a purpura mark on my left arm, after a while it cleared up when I stopped the turmeric. When I started the turmeric again it reoccurred. Possible an interaction with the flecainide 50 mg. that I am also using. for A-fib condition. Cannot tolerate nsaid’s. but the turmeric does not irritate my digestive system. I am, 91 years old, Forgot a few things, but still take care of myself, outlivd my mother who had alzhiemers disease.

5. Ann
    Hillsboro, or

I’ve been on baby aspirin daily, for years, since my stroke. Can I try the turmeric/pepper/cocoa??

6. Isabel
    Walnut Creek, CA

I read recently (probably in ConsumerLab) that curcumin and turmeric only work well with fat. Also, one small study shows a negative effect on the liver when taken long-term.

What I’m doing until more results come in is to take my curcumin supplement in alternate months. In those months, I double my fish oil supplement.

• Terry Graedon

The Theracurmin research we describe is pills, not IV. And we think you meant “naturopathy” rather than “nephropathy.”

7. Andy
    Florida

“Theracurmin® 90 mg. Where is this product available in this strength? I’d love to try it.”
    I saw this question but no answer yet. I have the same question because there are so many choices out there. I have no way to way to evaluate cost, potency (too high or too low) of each brand to compare and contrast them against each other. It would be nice to know what brand they used in the study and/or a recommendation of a brand.

8. Salvador
    Illinois

My wife suffered from a scalf psoriasis about 9 years ago. None of the medications that her doctor prescribed really worked on her. If not for an article written by Terry Graedon about her own personal experience with psoriasis wherein she was able to control it by taking 2 capsules of turmeric a day for a month and cutting it down to 1 capsule a day after that, my wife would still be a prisoner from that horrible affliction. Thank you so much Terry for sharing your experience about 9 years ago.

9. Mary
    Wisconsin

I wish I could take this. I’ve tried making a tea with just a little turmeric and water, but soon I felt weak and nauseous (I have heartburn issues and can’t take heartburn meds). My heart rate went up considerably after trying the mild tea, and I felt very hot. Not a pleasant experience! Later, a friend gave me a curcumin capsule of hers to try. Same result. Too unpleasant a reaction to try it again.

10. Patricia
    North Carolina

I’ve recently discovered a turmeric latte recipe which is wonderful, especially because I seem to be allergic to caffeine. 1 cup nut milk, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp vanilla, a pinch of salt and a sweetener of your choice. Warm the milk first, add other ingredients and give them a frothing. mmmm… good!

11. Chuck
    Durham, NC

This article (which predates the study cited above) does a comparison of the bioavailability research cited by manufacturers of various turmeric/curcumin products.

Which Curcumin Supplement Has The Best Absorption? (https://www.superfoodly.com/best-turmeric-curcumin-supplement/)

The article states………..”Now in a match-up of Theracurmin versus Longvida, which is best? For brain disease, Longvida still wins since it’s proven to cross the blood-brain barrier. However for the research related to anti-cancer properties, one could argue Theracurmin is superior.”

The PET scans cited in Small, et al would indicate that Theracurmin also crosses the blood-brain barrier. There doesn’t appear to be any research directly comparing the cognitive health benefits of Theracurmin and Longvida.

My personal experience is that Longvida is very effective for arthritis pain. I’ll let you know in 20 years about any cognitive benefits.

12. Chuck
    Raleigh, NC

I have been taking turmeric for several years but recently a friend told me that her physician recommended taking curcumin. If my understanding is correct, curcumin is one component of turmeric. Should I commence taking curcumin versus turmeric capsules on a daily basis as I do, and would this provide me better protection?

13. Sybil
    CT,USA

I took was getting stomach distress from curcumin but it was curcuminm with pepper added for bioavailability. Now I take it without pepper. Maybe it is not so bioavailable but I can take it. Some is better than none.

14. Jesse

My doctors don’t think Curcumin will improve cognitive ability, but they warn against it for many reasons. I can’t take it because I have Macular Degeneration and a brain meningioma. Blood thinner is dangerous as is Curcumin for many illnesses. Dangerous to take supplement and also prescription drugs when we don’t know all they can do to us. Even Aspirin can make Macular Degeneration worse. A well-balanced plant-based diet is the better medicine.

• Terry Graedon

Yes, curcumin would be dangerous for anyone taking an anticoagulant and also for anyone, like you, for whom an anticoagulant would be risky.

• Gerri

The nurse practitioner who monitors my blood every 4-5 weeks says it is okay for me to continue using tumeric along with my blood thinner but she had to adjust my dosage. I was on 5mg of warfarin and she increased the dosage to 5.5mg. My tests are good. No bleeding. The tumeric/curcumin combo is the only thing that seems to help my arthritis and I would hate to give it up.

15. Frederick Milton O III
    Madison, Wisconsin

One cannot read all the scientific papers one wishes to… there simply isn’t time. I missed many recent articles and papers on Curcumin and Liposomal Curcumin.

Here is an interesting paper I just found online that discusses Liposomal Curcumin and some ways of making it. The “Freeze-Thaw” method may be amenable to home use with proper basic R&D.

LIPOSOMAL CURCUMIN AND ITS APPLICATIONS IN CANCER
    U.S. National Library of Medicine — National Institute of Health (NIH)

16. Frederick Milton O III
    Madison, Wisconsin

A study with 40 subjects is a very small research sample. We should further note that in this study only 20 people actually took a commercial supplement, cutting the number of people who were actually studied for the effects of a commercial supplement in half. One cannot merely take it for granted that a 40 subject study proves anything, and getting all excited about it is less-than-optimal science reporting.

It also seems counter-productive to me to for this article to seemingly conflate a commercial supplement with turmeric at the end of the article. They are not the same.

I take turmeric daily with black pepper (piperine) and cocoa powder (quercitin) to enhance curcumin absorption. I am also a caregiver for someone with memory problems, which makes my quest to avoid them all the more urgent on a daily basis. I will only put my faith in real science, not in the cheerleading crypto-advertising “schmience reporting” in the mainstream media.

Liposomic Curcumin may offer increased absorption with fewer cases of digestive upset as a side-effect. Studies are needed, as well as a simple DIY method of producing Liposomic Curcumin at home.

I would like to see follow-up studies that have a much larger number of subjects participating before I will accept that a 20 person study of a commercial supplement is valid.

17. Rita M
    N.c.

I started taking Turmeric for my arthritis and it really helped a lot. The pain actually went into remission and I stopped taking it. It was great for at least a couple of months when arthritis pain came back, I went back on it. Turmeric works.

18. Larry M
    Raleigh, NC

> The people taking curcumin saw a 28 percent improvement in their cognitive test scores, while those on placebo did not.

What about “word finding.” I’m 72 and typically pass the cognitive tests every six month with top scores. But I still have the frustrating over-60 word-finding problem. Everyone shrugs it off, but it’s annoying and makes me look bad.

Has there been any testing with curcumin specifically on word-finding?

19. Shirley
    Seattle

Theracurmin® 90 mg. Where is this product available in this strength? I’d love to try it, being 83 and still living alone. I do find myself getting a little short on short-term memory.

20. Lili
    Illinois

How would one decide if it would be better to take curcumin or tumeric ?

21. x
    Missouri

It would be helpful for readers if you could let them know who funded this trial and who among the investigators has financial interests. After double checking the report given here on another site I decided reviewed the actual paper. There seems to be more than one party who might be interested in the trial outcome. That does not mean the trial is not valid, but I think it is information readers want to know.

22. Evelyn
    AZ

What is the optimal mg to take daily?

• Terry Graedon

This study used 180 mg a day: 90 morning and 90 evening. That’s not a bad place to start.

23. Pat
    Indiana

Aside then from the studies mentioned, what is the dosage recommended for a daily supplement???

24. Janez
    Slovenia

Absolutelly, I have 71 years and last three years I take every day curcumin. It best solution for arthritis and menatal health.

25. rosa
    balto. md

I also heard that ROSAMARY can help your memory..