vinegar for reflux, fight fungus, relieve gout pain

Have you ever had to fight fungus on your feet? The infection may show up between your toes or spread over the soles. To get rid of it, you may have tried an antifungal lotion or cream, such as clotrimazole, miconazole or tolnaftate. Perhaps you have developed a regimen for treating your shoes as well. Many People’s Pharmacy readers would prefer a home remedy, so long as it works. Here is one reader’s story.

Can You Fight Fungus Between the Toes?

Q. I have had trouble with fungal infections between my toes. I used clotrimazole, which seemed to help a bit.

What really cleared it up was apple cider vinegar. Once a week after bathing, I would use cotton wool with neat ACV applied to it. I wiped between my toes and the front part of my foot. My feet were better than ever after doing that.

I read that fungi have a protective coating around them that stops the immune system from killing them. ACV apparently breaks this protective coating down so your body can then kill the fungus.

Apple Cider Vinegar Against Foot Fungus:

A. Thanks for sharing your approach. Researchers have noted that acetic acid (vinegar) has antifungal properties (Sleven et al, Mycoses, May 2016).

Vinegar Sock Soak to Fight Fungus:

An intriguing recommendation was published in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology (Sept. 22, 2017).  The authors suggest a “vinegar sock soak.”

Here is their protocol:

“Each evening, patients go to a bathroom or other place with a vinegar-resistant floor, don old cotton socks, pour a few spoons of plain or apple-cider vinegar and a few spoons of water over the toes, and sit and read for 10-15 minutes. They then doff the socks, apply topical antifungals, and go to bed. In our experience, compliance, efficacy, and satisfaction are high with most patients achieving complete clinical responses within a year.”

We assume that most of these people were treating toenail fungus. That takes a year to eliminate, since the nails must grow out completely. We expect athlete’s foot infections to clear up far more quickly.

Although it is expressed in nonspecific language, it appears that the dermatologists are recommending a dilute vinegar solution. Many readers have tried soaking their feet in half vinegar and half water. That might also be a good proportion for the sock soak.

1. Bobby Gillis Sr
    North Carolina

A lot of good information

2. Daria
    Dallas

Have persistent fingernail fungus for which I’ve been prescribed Triamcinolone & Oxiconazole, applied 2x daily. Anyone have experience with this combo? I too appreciate The PP’s consistently helpful information & remedies. Commenters are also awesome. Thank you!

3. Betty
    36117

I don’t have it on my feet or toe nails but have it across my stomach, down to the pubic area and inside upper legs. The doctor prescribed Lamasil and I took a 7 day supply, but not completely gone. Also had anti-fungal crème. Will try ACV but have already tried white vinegar and oil of oregano. Surely it will eventually go ahead.

4. janet
    ca

I cured a toenail fungus with white vinegar. I just rubbed it on the affected toenail as it grew out. I didn’t use any medication.

5. Mary

I too used Apple Cider Vinegar between my toes. It really does work.

6. Jill
    NJ

I sometimes get red and irritated skin between my toes that has a funky odor. Never went to the doc for it so wasnt sure if it was a fungus or not. But I found that keeping my feet bare more often helped and also applied Listerine (the original amber formula) before bed clears it up.

7. Jean
    United Kingdom

I have recently had a fingernail fungus which seemed to defy all pharmaceutical remedies. I read somewhere on the internet that Vicks Vaporub rubbed onto the nail twice a day would cure it. Because of the mess and smell (which I cannot abide) I smeared a small amount of Vicks onto a plaster, twice a day, and wrapped my finger tip. Occasionally I dropped Tea Tree Oil before applying the Vicks. Within two months the fungus was gone. I am now waiting for the nail to grow out.

8. Barbara
    Georgia

I get such good recommendations for home remedies from your site. Thank you. I had a fungus on a little finger that I treated with yellow listerine. My nail healed and is doing great, thank you. It did take until the nail grew out for it to heal completely.