chronic pain

Spine surgeon David Hanscom does some of the most complicated surgery you can imagine on bad backs. But his patients get even more relief from chronic pain by employing the nonsurgical techniques he offers them in preparation for surgery. Sometimes they feel so much better they don’t even need to go under the knife.

How Can You Alleviate Chronic Pain Without Surgery?

Learn how a skeptical patient whose years of crushing back pain started with a bad fall from horseback reluctantly put Dr. Hanscom’s expressive writing advice into practice. What happened next was astonishing. The principles Dr. Hanscom uses in his practice apply not only to back pain, although that is his specialty, but to any form of chronic pain.

This Week’s Guests:

David Hanscom, MD, is a board certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in complex spine problems in all areas of the spine. He has expertise in adult and pediatric spinal deformities such as scoliosis and kyphosis. A significant part of his practice is devoted to performing surgery on patients who have had multiple prior spine surgeries. He works for Swedish Neuroscience Specialists in Seattle, WA. The photo is of Dr. Hanscom.

Though he believes that surgery and medication have a role, he knows that these standard courses of treatment aren’t what’s needed to treat chronic pain. Instead he provides the framework so the patient can find his or her solution allowing them to live free of pain. His book is Back in Control: A Surgeon’s Roadmap Out of Chronic Pain, 2nd edition.

His website is http://www.backincontrol.com/   Facebook   Amazon link

Mark Owens, MEd, worked for more than two decades as a wildlife scientist in some of the most remote parts of Africa. He survived a plane crash, charging lions, leopards, elephants and Cape buffalos, as well as ivory poachers who tried to kill him . In 2006, after he had returned to the USA, being thrown from a horse broke his back and crushed his chest. He suffered excruciating chronic pain for the next nine years. Then Mark met Dr. David Hanscom who offered him an alternative to yet another spinal surgery. His experience is detailed in the foreword to Back in Control.

Listen to the Podcast:

The podcast of this program will be available the Monday after the broadcast date. The show can be streamed online from this site and podcasts can be downloaded for free. CDs may be purchased at any time after broadcast for $9.99.

Buy the CD

Download the mp3

1. Joey
    TX

It is amazing how every comment on here raves about the ability to overcome chronic pain without medication or other means. Well I am here to tell you that after 23 surgeries 10 being on my back 4 hip replacements, 3 to repair my nose and eye sockets all caused by a drunk driver but there is no way I could cope without pain meds.

I take two different regimens one long acting and one for breakthrough pain and I do great when the doctors leave it alone at the appropriate dose where it was effective.

Last Friday, they discontinued my breakthrough meds and I feel like I wanna die. Wouldn’t care if I did right now. Quality of life PEOPLE, not quantity. Does anybody understand this concept?

Not all patients respond to all therapies but if you get one that you do, please leave the medical providers alone and let them do their jobs.

2. Jan
    FRANCE

I think I may be the ONLY one here outside the US so thought I’d share what our UK and French friends say about Americans: ‘They always travel with a pill for everything’; ‘They seem to get sick a lot.’ We discussed this and can only come to the conclusion that you’ve not had the benefit of a NATIONAL health service which so many European countries have. This leaves you at the mercy of ‘the market’ and Big Pharma. Self-help and remedies seem to be what everyone has to do as medical care seems so expensive or perhaps you’re at the mercy of insurance companies. It’s very sad to see.

3. Dan Cavanaugh, MD
    Chapel Hill, NC

I am a professor or orthopaedic spine surgery and practice at the University of North Carolina. While I agree with much of what was said about non-operative treatment of spine issues during the program, I felt that the practice of spine surgery was misrepresented.

Several comments were made about the lack of success of spine surgery in general and how often spine surgery can make chronic pain worse. I disagree with this statement and I believe that to publically feature these comments without appropriate explanation is doing harm to the general public.

I am in agreement that many surgeries can be avoided, and that non-operative treatments should be exhausted before surgery is considered, however there are occasions where spine surgery can be very successful. In my own clinical practice, I believe that my patients do very well with surgery, namely because the indications to do surgery are very specific. Surgery specifically for back pain does indeed have questionable results, however there are other indications for surgery (ie ongoing spinal cord compression) where surgery is not only effective but really necessary to prevent worsening neurological issues. I believe that the practice of spine surgery was misrepresented and wanted to clarify.

4. Brit' Bunny
    SC

May I ask why my comment was deleted? I’d like to know so I don’t make “mistakes” next time you ask for feedback. Thank you.

5. James
    Greensboro, NC

Dr Hanscom sound very much like what Dr. John Sarno has written in HEALING BACK PAIN, THE MINDBODY Rx, AND THE DIVIDED MIND. I have read all thee books and have personally experienced a cease of back pain as well as heel pain in both feet for which I wore orthotics for years. I would be interested in what relationships these two Medical Doctors’ practice and study have to each other.

6. James
    Greensboro, NC

Dr Hanscom sounds very much like what Dr. John Sarno has written in HEALING BACK PAIN, THE MINDBODY Rx, AND THE DIVIDED MIND. I have read all thee books and have personally experienced a cease of of back pain as well as heel pain in both feet for which I wore orthotics for years. I would be interested in what relationships these two Medical Doctors’ practice and study have to each other.

7. BRIT' BUNNY
    SC.

I have read Dr. Hanscom’s book and it is well written.

Dr. John Sarno was the original pioneer of this cure for many pains from different ailments. His book Healing Back Pain and another book Mind Body Connection were well received. Both books have helped me deal with ME/CFIDS.

8. Steve
    Maryland

Haven’t listened to the show yet but from reading so much about Black Seed Oil I would buy a bottle and give it a try (I did buy one). There are over 450 studies backing up the benefits of BSO and pain is just one of them. I have been using it for 1 week as of today. Taking 1 tsp in a.m. and one before bed time.

9. Rick
    Tennessee

Back pain affects many people. I’m actively looking for help in trying to handle the systemic problem of lower back pain. I went a number of different routes trying to find a solution that I could live with. Appears to be many contradictions from different medical resources on what is the right thing too do. It seems to be difficult to get a consensus of opinions. I have often found one approach totally lambasted by another medical person. Confusion appears to be common place and creates a lot of fear to a person that is suffering from the pain.

I walked out of a neurosurgeons office after never actually being able to talk with a doctor. Three trips to the office and three times only got to talk to a Physicans Assistant who’s solution was to get an cortisone injection. I was never physically examined. The PA just said we would start with the cortisone injection routine. Showed up for the injection and my blood pressure was so high they canceled the injection. Reschedule the procedure and was told they would sedate me. I was called a couple of weeks later and said the doctor disapproved sedation. Came in again for the injection and they gave me anxiety medication and again blood pressure problem prevented getting the injection. Never did talk to a doctor. Left this office and went to Pain Management.

They were glad I did not get the injection. Actually talked with the doctor and went through a number of injections as part of a required test for Medicare. Did not like the required process, but Medicare required that two separate positive tests had to be done and then they would go in a third time and burn a number of nerves that send pain signals to the brain. I did not like the injection process the firsts time and decided the problem would never be resolved this way because the burned nerves would grow back in approximately 8 months. I would be back in again to have the nerves burned off again. This procedure was not going to solve my back problem and instead it was only going to resolve the symptoms on a temporary basis. Had a great doctor that explained everything. I did not like the idea of having this done and knowing this was only going to give me temporary relief.

Decided this was not the route that I preferred taking. Will continue to look for help in finding the corrective action that might solve the problem.

10. Claudia
    Virginia

I just listened to the podcast with Dr Hanscom on the advice of my PCP whom I went to out of frustration! My stress -anxiety -and sleep deprivation and depression are all calming down after 4 years of searching for help with the life that I had not planned⚡️

Now, to be able to write about it, as Julia Cameron suggests in the “Artist Way,” which I found very helpful 20 years ago! Tearing it up will be an welcome benefit:)

I will be ordering the book and asking my dear PCP to walk on this journey with me!

11. Arlen
    Wisconsin

I’m wondering if there are brain-based similarities between this chronic neural pain and some cases of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) that are otherwise unexplained.

Are there any instances of the same therapy salad helping with CFS?

12. Hewlett
    Florida

I love The People’s Pharmacy, but I really do agree that many of the articles mostly lead us to a place to buy a book or a tape or something. I’m not interested in that. I also haven’t the time to sit and listen to the radio sometimes. I would love it if information could be available on the People’s Pharmacy newsletter or if there were instructions so I could print out the info and read it later. Meantime, I keep listening and loving your e-mails. I’ve learned a lot over the years.

13. Marilyn L. W
    Maryland

I wish we could get more info via this column as promised in the heading rather than having to buy a book or article or try to listen to a radio broadcast at a later date. I don’t own an iphone (really, everyone doesn’t) and don’t even know what a “podcast” is. Lots of people don’t.

14. Lois

Expressive writing has helped me in many ways, with mental and emotional pain, some of which translates into physical pain. But it is not a cure-all. Many approaches help some people, but no one approach helps all. We each must seek for what helps each individual, which takes willingness and perseverance. I am mostly skeptical of those claiming to have “the” answer. I am glad we have the full range of options to try.

• Bob
      Pennsylvania

I agree with a few comments. Thought I may be getting some info as opposed to buying a book etc.

• JS Wulff
      WA

Ask your library if they have the book. I think people often forget to use the library

15. Carolyn
    Plano, TX

Thank you for this important information. Writing is easy and available to all. I have tried many things to alleviate pain, medicine, ice, acupuncture, tens unit etc. but this is doable and free.

16. Rebekah
    NC

For the last 3 weeks, I’ve had ongoing knee pain due to a pulled muscle. It’s been bad enough that I limp and/or hold on to something as I walk along. Everything he talks about here is totally within my belief system and I really like that he wants to empower the patient. I am extremely pleased to say the journaling really, really worked!

I was 90-95% pain free when I got up today and I had only journaled one time. My belief is that if this will work on the back….we’ll, it will certainly work on other issues. Thanks!!!

17. Thelma
    N C

Can you give me any advice on Shingles. I am having terrible pain after 10 weeks

18. Mary Jane
    NYC

We need more non-surgical techniques, so we can participate in our own healthcare.

19. Linda
    Charlotte, NC

I just listened to the podcast with Dr. David Hanscom about chronic pain & just want to say thank you so much for airing this show! After a very distressful year, I developed myofascial pain syndrome & Dr. Hanscom has given me new hope with becoming pain free again without relying on NSAID”s, which have their own negative side affects. I’ve also ordered his book & can’t wait for it to arrive. Thank you so much for the wealth of information you provide to help people make educated decisions when it comes to healthcare & overall well-being.

20. Karen
    North Carolina

I only heard the end of the radio program and thought the repair to the nervous system was amazing. Bought the book

21. Marilyn
    Kansas

“White Coat Syndrome” When I see my endocrinologist, the nurse weighs you takes you to a room to wait 10 or 15 minutes for the doctor. Just before the doctor comes in she comes back to take your blood pressure. My blood pressure has never been high there. If more doctors followed that practice you would have fewer patients diagnosed with high blood pressure. The alternative is to keep a log which I have done.

22. Esther
    KY

I loved to listen to your ahows. This one , I have sent texts to family members and friends who have experienced back surgeries or put off back surgeries. The missing limb pain phenomenon was a perfect discussion point. I will definitely get his book. Thank you for alternative therapies. I wonder how this would work for drug addiction therapy? Should be similar issues. Right?

• Ray C

do all the research. your suppose to rest 15 min before taking blood pressure.i take mine at home,yet it is higher at dr office.rushing to weigh you,take vitals,then anxiety waiting on dr being late. i take 1/2 of the amount prescribe to me and my bp is fine and all my blood work is fine

• Ann M.
      Arkansas

I completely agree, as I, too, have “white coat syndrome.” If my BP is taken soon after I’m rushed into the exam room, it’s sky high. Taken later in the visit, it has returned to a normal level. I had to work hard with the officious nurse to get her to realize that, by her waiting a while, she would get a much more accurate reading. She finally agreed when she saw the difference it made.

23. Mary
    Wisconsin

I wouldn’t think it possible, but was thrilled to hear answers to pain for so many people is happening through this revelation. Thanks for the show and allowing so many to hear options to heal without a knife. Excellent show. Excellent guests and excellent information. I don’t know how I lived without WPR/NPR before we discovered this gem of information and education. Thank you, thank you, thank you and BRAVO for job well done. Thank your guest, Dr. Holcomb for his wonderful work and bringing the education to the forefront.

24. Mike
    FL

On march 9th show on pain, meditation works simalar to writing thoughts down. You look at the negative emotions or resentments or anger and let it go out of the top of you head, so to speak. This was a great show.thanks for having it.

25. Susan
    NC

My husband died 6 months ago, and my grief is profound. I have found that the best way for me to deal with this emotional pain is by writing letters to him. I find, when I have finished a session of writing to him in my grief journal, I feel a sense of peace and calmness. The tears cease.

• Cynthia
      Los Angeles

Susan, this is beautiful, and I thank you for the suggestion. I also want to share that, in this moment, I feel for you deeply, and you have inspired me to continue on in life. I would never end my life. I just mean I have sort of quit living. I want you to know what an effect you have had on me and again, I thank you. Carry on bringing your light, as you may have no idea how profound and healing YOU are.
      Cynthia

26. Carol
    Sarasota

wish that when I clicked on the like that said “Listen to the Article” I could actually listen to the podcast rather than read a short review.

• Joe Graedon

Carol,

Our shows are broadcast live on Saturday mornings at 0700. We must respect our public radio stations right to first access. Some stations air the show on Sunday. As a result, we do not post the radio show until the Monday after the live broadcast.

If you wait until Monday morning you will have access to free audio streaming of the show via your computer. You can also order the mp3 file for free on Monday and download the show to your electronic device. You can also access it via iTunes as a podcast. Thank you for your understanding.

27. Helen
    Columbia SC

Show 1071. What is the broadcast date for Columbia , SC?
    Thank you. Helen

• AMY
      WILMINGTON, NC

Thanks for the explanation on podcast listening and availability. This program and guests are incredibly enlightening.

28. Alice
    Georgia

Recently a diabetes advisor said fruit should not be in your breakfast or evening meal. Is there any validation for this?
    Since yogurt and blueberries are my favorite breakfast I was not happy.

29. William T
    Raleigh 27612

Disappointed so little information about relieving back pain.
    Too much advertising.

• Mary Jane
      NYC

I had enjoyed fruit for breakfast for years, but one of the most useful pieces of advice I have received in recent years was to start the day with, e.g., a vegetable omelette. My osteopath told me, “the first thing you put in your mouth SETS THE DIALS for the day.” In other words, even if you avoid sugar, the fruit causes your body to anticipate more sweets. I have found that following this advice changes my desire for something sweet. I have a piece of fruit mid-afternoon, and that seems to suffice.

30. Jim
    Birmingham

“But his patients get even more benefit from chronic pain by employing the nonsurgical techniques he offers them in preparation for surgery.”

Unless you have discovered some “benefit from chronic pain” I think you mean “relief from chronic pain”.