sleepy man, Klonopin for insomnia, melatonin under your tongue

Millions of Americans suffer with insomnia. They have trouble falling asleep, or they wake in the middle of the night and toss and turn when they can’t get back to sleep. When they stumble out of bed in the morning, they may not feel refreshed. Often, people turn to sleeping pills for help with insomnia, but these can cause next-day drowsiness as well as other, more alarming, side effects. Could you get relief from insomnia by slipping melatonin under your tongue?

Melatonin Under Your Tongue:

Q. I have suffered with chronic insomnia my entire life. A few years ago, I heard about a melatonin supplement (GNC Melatonin 1 mg) that is held under the tongue until it dissolves. To my surprise it worked and changed my life.

What Is Melatonin?

A. Melatonin is a natural hormone produced by the brain. It helps to regulate the body’s natural sleep-wake rhythm.

Research supports the role of melatonin in helping people overcome jet lag. Night shift workers sometimes find it helpful in combatting sleep disorders (Burman, FP Essentials, Sept. 2017).

Controlled-release melatonin has been recommended for chronic insomnia (Matheson & Hainer, American Family Physician, July 1, 2017).  Although we could find no clinical research on the use of sublingual melatonin for insomnia, the 1 mg dose that you are using appears to be safe.

Melatonin is used to correct problems with the circadian clock that controls day-night rhythms. You can learn more about that from our interview with Dr. Russell G. Foster, Director of the Sleep and Circadian Neuroscience Institute at Oxford University.

1. Curtis
    New Jersey

I’ve been a shift worker for 31 years, I’ve tried everything. Melatonin seems to make me sleepy, It should be taken in small doses and the problem is no one sells less than 1 mg.

• Cam
      Houston, TX

Natrol brand has 1 mg Melatonin…They have on3 in a quick dissolve tablet that works well.
      I found it on Amazon..I also heard there is a spray formula.

Also some pharmacies sell pill cutters, so you can cut the 3 mg in half.

Good luck and sweet dreams

2. Janie
    NC

A respected study showed the optimum dose of melatonin is 0.3 mg. OTC bottles typically contain 3 mg pills, or 10 times the effective dose. I buy powdered kind and manage dose. Less than 1mg works for me.

3. Sarah
    Charleston, SC

3 mg Melatonin work beautifully for me! I got a big box store brand of tablets and chew one about an hour before bedtime. Just keep it by your favorite chair so you don’t forget to take it! It doesn’t help to take it immediately before bedtime. Also tried your suggestion of some raisins before bed to keep from getting up in the nite. Why they work I don’t know, and don’t care, but it’s miraculous! I get up only once, if at all!

4. Mary

Are there any side effects to the use of Melatonin?

5. D.B.
    Chicago

I have been using a 3 mg dose of Melatonin. I fall asleep. Unfortunately I have to get up during the night. I tried to take it then. It did not help and I felt sleepy during the day.

6. Joy
    Florida

I went almost three weeks of barely sleeping trying to quit Ambien cold turkey. Melatonin (1mg) dissolved under my tongue worked well or a product called Midnight which contains 1.5 mg Melatonin with lemon balm, chamomile, and lavender. Midnight also can be purchased as a CVS store brand for a few dollars less and is the exact same formulation as Midnight. You can also take it again in the middle of the night if you wake up, as long as you have 3 hours left to sleep.

7. Ruby
    NC

Don’t waste your money! I tried the 10mg Melatonin tab and could have gotten better results with an aspirin. Didn’t even make me yawn. Total ripoff.

• Cam

Sometimes the smaller dosages work better and faster. I use to take 3 and 5.
      Now I do 1mg fast dissolve (Natrol brand) and it works better.

8. Thai

Melatonin definitely helps me. Integrative medicine physician leader Dr. Andrew Weil, whom I’ve followed for decades, has said that doses larger than 300 Micrograms may signal our body to stop producing its own Melatonin. The only place I’ve found a low dose Melatonin supplement is Trader Joe’s, which sells a chewable 500 Microgram supplement. I take it most nights. I notice it helps the most if I haven’t taken it for a few days, which might make sense if our body becomes used to a regular dose, so the supplement doesn’t have the same fresh, jolting affect to our system!

9. Dagny
    Philadelphia, PA

I use Source Naturals spray melatonin and find it quite effective. The ‘sublingual’ part of the dosing seems to be key. I tried taking the pill form that’s supposed to be taken a few hours before bedtime some years back and it was unpredictable. It failed more often than it worked.

I also recommend tart cherry juice, an ounce (a standard jigger or two tablespoons) sipped about half an hour before bedtime. I think I read about that remedy here, as a matter of fact.

10. Peggy
    North Carolina

I had been taking Ambien/Zolpidem 5 mg for over 15 years. Although in the last 7 years, I had been cutting the dose in half. I wanted to get off of Ambien completely.When I stopped the Ambien, I struggled getting to sleep. I exercise regularly, avoided certain foods, and limited my intake of water in the evening so I could fall asleep and stay asleep.

I started taking 1 mg of dissolvable Melatonin to help me sleep. It took about a week before I noticed it working. It actually helped me to get to sleep but I would then wake up 2 hours later. So I would take another 1 mg Melatonin and would sleep an additional 3 hours. I have been taking Melatonin for about 6 months now. I can now fall asleep on my own but I still wake up 2-3 hours later.

If I cannot fall back to sleep on my own, I take 1 mg of Melatonin and I sleep for another 3 hours.

11. Elliot O

I usually don’t have trouble falling asleep but when I do, I have been using 1 mg sublingual Melatonin for years. I like the Source Naturals brand and order it on the Internet. When my schedule changes and I have a need to get up earlier than usual the next morning, I use it the night before so I can fall asleep earlier than I otherwise would be able to.

I have tried to use it to change my body’s sleep schedule ahead of time when changing more than four time zones on a trip. It was recommended to start the cycle a day or two before the trip but this effort has always failed miserably. Now I wait until I am on the trip.

If I wake up in the middle of the night and have trouble falling asleep, I rarely use Melatonin. I find something to keep me occupied for an hour or so then go back to bed.

12. Patty
    Chicago

I have been cautioned about Melatonin causing changes in skin pigmentation. Does anyone know if this is true? When I’ve attempted to research this question, there is a good deal of conflicting information.

13. Ellie

If you consume the 3 mg. pill of Melatonin for long periods, your body quits its own production of it. I take 3 mcg. of Melatonin and the body is still able to produce it. Trader Joe’s is the only place I have found it.

14. Debbie
    Henderson, NV

I take melatonin every night, and so does our dog who has cancer and was getting up 2-3 times a night. We’re both sleeping like babies now.

• KATHLEEN
      WEBSTER

Melatonin is a hormone, so it was not recommended that I take more than 3 mg a night. Otherwise the higher doses do not work. 3 mg works for me.

15. Elle
    Arizona

Yes, spray sublingual melatonin fixed my insomnia problem. I take it every night and sleep well. Cal/mag and glycine help too.

16. Will
    SC

I read about Melatonin in Time Magazine about 40 years ago. At that point I had lots of swollen stiff knuckles that had been jammed or dislocated playing basketball. I began taking melatonin and within two weeks the swelling and stiffness in my fingers was almost gone. I have taken melatonin ever since and at 69 my fingers remain fairly supple and pain free.

17. KATHLEEN
    WEBSTER

Melatonin 3 mg works for me. They say not to use a higher dose, as it does not work any better; or could be harmful because it is a hormone. I am interested in others who have tried this supplement.

18. Dave
    Kentucky

I take 2 tablets 325mcg of Melatonin each niight with a glass of water and I am asleep in no time.

Dave

19. Linda

I’ve been using 3 mg. Melatonin for a month. It does make me fall asleep quicker, but I still wake around 1 a.m. and stay awake til 3.

20. Tony
    Thailand

I never believed nonprescription medicine would help me sleep. A new Doctor I visited suggested melatonin and gave me some 2 mg tablets. I slept beautifully but I did feel a bit groggy the next morning. I cut the tablet in half and took 1 mg and also had a very good night’s sleep. So they work for me. I am 87 years old and have had problems sleeping.

21. Anna

Can Melatonin be given to autistic person on medication?
    Does Melatonin interact with SSRs.
    Thanks