Dogs love bones, but veterinarians usually warn people not to give their pets bones from the dinner table. Turkey, chicken and lamb bones may splinter when they are chewed and injure a dog that swallows them. Some folks may have tried to avoid these problems by offering their dogs “bone treats.” These processed tidbits are not safe either, however. The baking or smoking used to create them also makes the bones brittle.
What Is Wrong with Bone Treats?
The FDA is warning owners that bone treats can cause intestinal blockage, choking, internal cuts, vomiting, diarrhea, rectal bleeding or even death. The agency has 15 reports of dogs who died after consuming bone treats. The bottom line seems to be no bones or bone treats for your dog!