vision

Being able to see is something most of us treasure, especially if we imagine being deprived of good vision. But do we know how to take care of our eyes to keep them healthy and working well?

Our guest, Dr. Peter McDonnell, is an ophthalmologist. He describes the most common problems that can rob us of our eyesight and what we can do to prevent them.

What You Should Know to Protect Your Vision:

Are there eye diseases that run in your family? Has a parent or a grandparent experienced glaucoma or macular degeneration? Learn how you could reduce your likelihood of developing these problems.

Is there anything to the idea of vitamins for the eyes? We also discuss diabetic retinopathy and cataracts. How do you make a decision on the proper timing for cataract surgery? You can listen to our bonus interview with Dr. McDonnell about how to relieve dry eyes.

This Week’s Guest:

Peter J. McDonnell, MD, is the director of the Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute. He is professor of ophthalmology at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.

Listen to the Podcast:

The podcast of this program will be available the Monday after the broadcast date. The show can be streamed online from this site and podcasts can be downloaded for free. CDs may be purchased at any time after broadcast for $9.99.

Buy the CD

Download the mp3

Air Date:October 7, 2017

1. Elizabeth
    Willmette, IL

I wanted to read the article on eyesight on my computer. Don’t know name of radio show or station and don’t know how to access podcast. Hope you can start printing these vital articles online. Thanks. Elizabeth Leider.

2. Tom
    NC

This was one of your shows during which you seem to spend a fair amount of time giving background, without focusing on real issues relating to eye disease and care. For example, how the brain receives images and turns them upside down is really not relevant to anything. On a topic like eye health, I wish you’d spend more time with disease, remedy and care.

3. dand e
    SOUTH AFRICA

Reading is a good idea, also it can be printed for later on if you have forgotten something said.

4. Ortho
    North Carolina

On the substance of show 1050: From personal experience I wish to underline the doctor’s comment that no surgery is risk free — and complications in cataract surgery can be serious and require almost immediate treatment to prevent loss of sight. I would urge persons electing cataract surgery no matter how routine it seems to know beforehand the complications rate for the clinic or doctor if that can be found, and to know for sure where to go and who to see if there is a serious complication – especially one requiring the services of a retinal specialist.

5. Mrs Davis
    Texas

I would greatly appreciate this info on eyes to be in written form. I do not want to listen to a podcast or archive of a radio show. I’d rather read it.

6. David
    Lakeland, Florida

Please post written transcripts.
    I am not certain what a “podcast” is, but given the context within which I see it written about I believe it means “audio content”.
    I prefer reading instead of listening.
    I rarely waste time trying to download audio content.
    My health has benefited from reading Peoples’ Pharmacy over the years, first in the newspaper, now on the internet.
    Thank you for helping people for many years!

7. Martha

I, too, would greatly appreciate a writen summary of any podcasts. Thanks!

8. Gayle Y.
    TX

I listen to your podcasts when I’m walking. Many times I have extended my walk just so I can finish the podcast! It’s a great motivator. There are times when I just don’t really want to walk but listening keeps me going! I try to walk several miles every day and really appreciate all your programs. I have learned a lot!

9. Morgan E
    Seattle

Like all the other comments about a written option I don’t have the time or desire to listen to a slow paced podcast of information that I could glean by reading the text in a fraction of the time. This would also eliminate having to take notes.

10. Bob
    South Carolina

Aside from the degenerative issues involving the eyes how about covering some of the physical aspects (i.e., far and near sighted problems) which are muscular in nature as well as vitamins that can help the retina. Do eye exercises work? Do vitamins work? I feel they do to a point but would like the doctor’s perspective on this.

11. Glenda
    Greensboro

Where is the article we’re supposed to read? I don’t want a pod cast I want something I can print out and keep.

12. joan
    TEXAS

Please provide either a summary or transcript of the program.
    It is much easier for me to read than try to make the podcast work. I really appreciate your informative program and happily refer others . Thank you.

13. Fran
    NC

I so strongly agree with the many comments above that I don’t have time to take an hour out of my Sat. morning to listen and, if I did, I would not know what they are saying because my hearing is poor. Also, there are so many speeds of talking and enunciations that it is more difficult, even for people who have no hearing problems, to understand each other.

I have another problem with your site since I switched my email address from AOL to gmail. I have to get back all the way out and after each article. I have no learned how to go from one article to another, but that my just be my poor computer skills. However your site is the only one with which I have that type of problems. I will struggle and get what you write however I can because your information has helped me live to be between 85 and 90 years old.

14. Barbara
    Houston

Please make the written transcript available. I don’t have time to sit down for an hour and listen to a podcast. I can read all of it in probably ten minutes of less.

• Glenna
      TX

I totally agree about asking for a written transcript. I just don’t have time to listen to audios. Sorry

• carol
      TX

A transcript would make this information accessible to the deaf, too.

• Joe Graedon

Many people have requested transcripts. We would very much like to provide them, but we rarely get requests from more than a dozen people. That would mean the cost might be quite high.

To help us better understand what is reasonable, please let us know how much you would be willing to pay for a transcript.

15. Carl
    Lucedale, MS

When I Play Show 1050, How to Protect Your Vision, using itunes, it stops after 20 minutes, every time. I don’t see any way to resume playback, only to restart at the beginning, only to stop again after 20 minutes. Could you fix it so it will play through the entire show?

16. Cindy
    FL

I agree with all that want to Read information instead of listening to it! Takes much less time.

17. Mary
    Arlington, TX

I often miss the original broadcast, & have no idea how to listen to a ‘podcast’ – just checked the website & iTunes, & it appears to require downloading something else to my computer … – would appreciate the information as others have said, without extra costs & without trying to ‘read the article’ & getting almost nothing online.

18. arthur
    paradise, ca

I agree with most everyone here and also say that I could probably read through an article quicker than listening to the broadcast or podcast, plus many of those online product-selling infomercials force one to watch a video presentation (often at a slowest-reader pace), which can appear to be rather manipulative, and we don’t want the People’s Pharmacy to seem to be anything like that!

So yes, please make all of the radio shows available in written form as well, thank you!

P.S. If not the entire conversation, at least a summary of it the way Dr. Joseph Mercola does with the articles on his website.

19. Valerie
    ny

I love your radio show, but regarding your email newsletters, I agree with the other writer– If you say “read article” then please have the text of the article available. Otherwise, please say “listen to podcast” (if it’s available for free) or “purchase podcast” (if it’s not available for free). It’s very annoying to be misled! Thank you.

20. Elaine
    44139

Where is the article we are supposed to read. Some of us like to read and not listen to pod casts.

21. Josephin

When you write ‘read’ and then it is only a podcast, that is misleading. I don’t have time to listen to a podcast, but I can read articles quickly.

22. Sunny
    Alaska

Please put info in print.

23. eleanor
    hollywood, florida

Agree that podcasts aren’t the alpha omega of your viewing/listening. Public workplace isn’t for listening – – many like myself don’t have the patience for them – but will take the time to read even a moderately long article – love your site – have followed your work for many years.

24. Carolyn
    Houston TX

Could Blepharitis be a fungal infection?

25. Dawn
    San Antonio, TX

How do we know when a broadcast date is? Your program is not available in my area so I have no way of knowing. Thank you!

26. Dale
    Greensboro, NC

I agree with Maureen concerning a printed summery of the Pod-Casts. GREAT IDEA

27. rebecca
    san antonio,tx

From personal experience never get plugs for your tear ducts to correct dry eyes like when tears start coming down your eyes. Tried DCR surgery twice & it did not work plus have many complications.

28. talks to trees
    binghamton, ny

What does Dr. McDonald know about the use of N-acetylcarnosine to prevent the progression of and possible reversal of cataracts?

29. Jolnk
    Central Florida

When you say “read article,” (reference “protecting your vision”….I would not be expected to be directed to a podcast that had not yet aired…I would expect to be directed to an article on your website.

30. Maureen
    Hartford, CT

I LOVE The Peoples’ Pharmacy programs! I have been a listener for years, buy your books as they are released and preach the info you provide to anyone who will listen to me.
    I like to read info on your website, but cannot listen to these podcasts while I am at work, so I wonder whether you ever make the programs available in readable format?
    I can read much faster than I can hear the highlights of these experts’ advice!