man with leg cramp, muscle cramps disappear

As football teams gear up for practice, coaches around the country are stocking up on pickle juice. Why? Tradition has it that a gulp or two of pickle juice makes muscle cramps disappear. Now we have some understanding of the possible mechanism.

Pickle Juice Makes Muscle Cramps Disappear:

Q. I often get muscle cramps in my legs. I have found that drinking pickle juice relieves the cramps within a minute.

It doesn’t matter what kind of pickle juice-dill pickles, sweet pickles, bread-and-butter pickles. I’ve even used relish juice. I’ve recommended it to others who have used it with similar success.

A. Coaches have long relied on pickle juice to treat their players’ muscle cramps. We suspect that vinegar is the magic ingredient.

How Does Pickle Juice Work?

At one time, people thought muscle cramps were due to dehydration, potassium depletion or low magnesium. While those factors may make people more susceptible to cramps, the more recent hypothesis is that muscle cramps result from motor neurons firing uncontrollably.

Strong flavors like vinegar, ginger, hot peppers, mustard and quinine all stimulate receptors (TRP channels) that can override the inappropriate nerve firing. You will find other muscle cramp remedies and hundreds of additional simple treatments for common ailments in our book, Quick & Handy Home Remedies.

It's almost Black Friday at The People's Pharmacy!

Black Friday at People's Pharmacy 2017
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
View Specials Now

1. Mary
    Oregon

Yellow mustard really works for me plus it contains turmeric which gives it that bright yellow color.

2. Phil
    Palm Springs, CA area

I’m 70 years old and am on my feet standing at work all day so I experience severe leg cramps on those evenings.

For months, I used Natural Vitality Natural Calm, a relaxing magnesium supplement, and it worked very well, but then for whatever reason it stopped working plus it started giving me an upset stomach. The product used to be called Peter Gillham’s Calm. Perhaps there was a formulation change during the changeover.

Then I began taking Hyland’s Leg Cramps PM, and it only worked intermittently and after a while didn’t work at all. I visited my doctor and she suggested this product anyway, but said that I should include Tonic water because of the Quinine in it. On the first evening that I took both I experienced the worst case of night-time leg cramps ever!

I have a certified holistic nutritional therapist who I work with occasionally, and she sold me an electrolyte supplement called Electro-pH Complex (K-86) which worked very well, but only for about a week.

One afternoon I went into a convenience store and purchased a bottle of Neurobliss (http://www.drinkneuro.com/product/bliss/ I think this is only available out here in Southern California.) That night I had no leg cramps. I checked out the ingredients and found that it included Chamomile, which is a muscle relaxer. I began drinking a bottle of this at the end of each work day. I had no night-time leg cramps for a month! Unfortunately, as with all of the other remedies, the cramps returned last week, but very mildly so.

After all of that I went to a vein specialist and discovered that I have diseased valves in both legs (my varicose veins were a clue) that were probably causing the heaviness, pain and cramping in my legs, plus overall fatigue. I’m entertaining getting a procedure called ClosureFast, a endovenous radiofrequency ablation. I have one more visit with the doctor before I make a final decision. I suggest if anyone is interested to research it for fear that I may have misstated it.

Finally, regarding the pickle juice. My pharmacist actually recommended that. I laughed and made the sarcastic comment that it worked only because the taste distracted from the discomfort. I’m on a mini-vacation this week and will not be on my feet as much. After I return to work I’ll give the pickle juice a try and report back.

3. Pat

As a person who frequently gets cramps during the night, I welcomed the chance to try something natural….and, it has worked. But, to go even further, the other night I woke not with cramps but barely able to move with sciatic nerve pain and realized my knees were really aching….HARD!

It was late to be taking pain meds so I got up and tried a tablespoon of mustard. By the time I got back into bed I had no more pain, of any kind. Before reaching for any kind of medications for any kind of pain, I will first try my mustard. For me it has really worked wonders. Pat

• Phil
      Palm Springs, CA area

Unfortunately, I’m one of those few Americans who detests yellow mustard, and Dijon and spicy mustard are only just okay. Turmeric, I’ve read, is in mustard and gives it its color. I take Turmeric supplements and use it on food as a spice. For me it has helped greatly with inflammation which in turn has helped with overall aches and pains, but unfortunately not with leg cramps. Don’t know if that actually contributed to the subject being discussed, but I thought I’d share it anyway.

4. Babs
    Topeka

Are the pickles to be dill?

5. Frost
    Massachusetts

I often carry small packets of mustard for fast food. When I get cramps outhiking, or driving home afterwards, I open one up and it keeps the cramps at bay. Carrying a jar of pickle juice is not practical, but a few mustard packets fit just about everywhere.

6. Jan

What causes motor neurons to fire uncontrollably?