drug metabolism, orange juice, grapefruit juice

For decades, Nobel prize winning biochemist Linus Pauling advocated high-dose vitamin C to help prevent cancer. For the most part his ideas were dismissed as unproven. But research suggests one way that vitamin C might protect you against cancer, though we must leap from mice to humans.

How Vitamin C Might Protect People Against Cancer:

Now, a new study published in the journal Nature shows that vitamin C may help reduce the likelihood of leukemia. Stem cells require a lot of ascorbate, also known as vitamin C. These are the cells that lead to the development of all the cells that circulate in the blood.

When levels of ascorbate fall, the epigenome is damaged and the stem cells become more likely to transform into leukemia cells instead of ordinary white blood cells. This research was carried out in mice and confirmed in test-tube studies.

Should You Take Vitamin C?

As a result, this research suggests that people who may be at higher risk for leukemia should be especially conscientious about getting adequate amounts of vitamin C from their diet or from supplements.

Agathocleous et al, Nature, Aug. 21, 2017

Where Will You Find Vitamin C?

Many fruits and vegetables are rich in ascorbate, which might help explain why a diet rich in fresh produce has been lined to a lower risk of cancer. The best sources include blueberries; broccoli and cauliflower; cantaloupe and other melons; citrus fruits such as grapefruit, oranges and tangerines; cranberries; green and red peppers; mango; papaya; pineapple; raspberries; spinach and other dark green leafy vegetables; strawberries; sweet potatoes; tomatoes; and watermelon.

1. Tourmaline
    Chicagoland

Every time I read an article that gives credence to Linus Pauling’s research, I smile inside. I have been taking Vit C, 1 to 4 g/day, since age 16. Now at age 65, the effects of Vit C for me are too numerous to list.

I’ve known about Linus Pauling’s research for decades and have spread his gospel to those I meet. A healthy life is the reward for those who read and understand the point of his research.

I especially like the comment above that loose stools are not diarrhea. Loose stools tell you that Vit C is doing its work. Just find your level of normal and modify that as time goes on to keep yourself healthy. And don’t forget to share your excitement with others.

2. Paul Riley

I understand one Kewe is 100 percent the needed daily diet about of C. So we strive to have one for Susan and one for me with breakfast. Enjoy!

3. Ines

Can’t hurt to try it. A gentleman here @ CV has done much research on health topics & is a firm believer in vitamins & other dietary supplements.
    By the way, how can we be sure that the OTC supplements, vitamins, minerals contain what they say they contain? Wasn’t there a review done a few years ago which was not at all reassuring?

4. MIMI
    Columbus, OH

Vit C also takes the sting/pain and swelling out of wasp stings,
    I found.

5. Kristy
    New Mexico

I had breast cancer 9 years ago. When I finished treatment, my oncologist told me to take 500 mg of vit C daily.

6. Honin
    East Coast

I take Vitamin C capsules in divided doses: two in the mornings and the other two at night. My total daily dose is 4000 mg, and I am rarely ever sick!

7. Greeley

Correlation is not causation. Cancer is at least partially caused by an immune system constantly suppressed by high levels of the stress hormone cortisol, as a result of our high-stress lifestyles and “built” environments. Hunter-gatherer populations have NO CANCER, so it’s an environmental and lifestyle problem. The adrenal glands, especially in our high stress world, depend on Vit. C to function. However, failed adrenals result in lack of cortisol and autoimmune diseases. Stress management is the key to cancer prevention, not Vit. C. Stress R Us

8. Garry TM
    KY

“… who may be at higher risk for leukemia should be especially conscientious about getting adequate amounts of vitamin C from their diet or from supplements.”

I believe that being conscientious about vitamin C extends to all of us, regardless of being “at risk” for anything. We are currently increasing our understanding of C. From the production of collagen for our skin, to our cardio vascular system, to our eyes…..the list goes on and on. Routinely functioning with low C levels will prevent scurvy, but will generate many other risks throughout the body.

9. barbara
    hazlet twp., NJ

if I take Vitamin C in pill form – what would be the best dosage?

10. Maria

What would you consider to be an adequate amount of vitamin C each day?

11. HN
    Florida

The amount of vitamin C that Linus Pauling used to successfully treat many conditions cannot be obtained from the diet. For example, his personal 18,000 mg daily dose is equivalent to the vitamin C in about 200 oranges. Higher therapeutic doses of vitamin C by mouth will bring on loose stools or diarrhea in most people, so Dr. Pauling was treating cancer using intravenous vitamin C (IVC) at doses of 50,000 mg to 150,000 mg. Fortunately, I.V. Drip Lounges that offer high-dose vitamin C and other vitamin and mineral infusions are starting to show up in many cities–if you’re battling a major disease or want to try to prevent one, find a vitamin infusion lounge (or a doctor who offers it) near you.

12. AL
    Kentucky

How much C supplement should I take? I’m 81/

13. Marie

I vote with Linus Pauling. If you get too much Vitamin C, your body will tell you and you will have loose stools; that doesn’t mean diarrhea. Since I tend toward respiratory difficulties of all kinds, I don’t have that problem until I take more than 12 grams or 12,000 mg of Vitamin C. Normally, I take between 8 to 10 grams of Vitamin C and am happy to report that it has been quite a while since I had bronchitis or pneumonia. That’s undoubtedly a larger amount than most people would be able to take, but one must listen to one’s body.