a canker sore (aphthous ulcer), remedy for canker sores

Canker sores, technically known as aphthous ulcers, are nasty sore spots that crop up inside the mouth. Unlike cold sores, canker sores are not infectious. Sometimes people have a hard time figuring out what triggered a canker sore. In other cases, though, they know right away that biting their cheek or brushing their teeth too vigorously preceded the sore spot. Is there a good remedy for canker sores?

Kiwifruit as a Remedy for Canker Sores:

Q. I get canker sores when my system is too acidic from eating lots of sweets and simple carbs. One to two kiwis a day heals them overnight.

A. You are not the only one to find that sweets can trigger canker sores. Nor are you the only one to find kiwifruit helpful as a remedy for canker sores.

Many readers report that kiwifruit speeds healing of canker sores inside the mouth. We could find no scientific support for this home remedy, but it seems benign as long as you are not allergic to kiwifruit.

Other Remedies for Canker Sores:

Don’t overlook other possible remedies. You may wish to look at other potential causes of canker sores so you can eliminate them to the extent possible.

One reader cautioned:

“I am a practicing general dentist and I’d like to advise all of the readers that DO get canker sores to immediately change their toothpaste. Nearly every name brand toothpaste contains sodium laurel sulfate (SLS) – a common detergent. Turn over your bottle of hair shampoo. One of the first three ingredients will be SLS. This ingredient throws off the balance of your mouth and your body then needs to repopulate certain bacteria and neutralize your mouth. For some people, the temporary imbalance can yield canker sores.

Weleda, JASON, Burt’s Bees and Dr. Ken’s are a few of the companies who manufacture SLS-free toothpaste. Switch your toothpaste and you will notice a serious drop in canker sores.”

Karen confessed:

“I am gluten intolerant and end up with a canker sore in my mouth when I have eaten gluten by mistake.”

Jim offered a completely different remedy for canker sores:

“I’ve always used powdered alum (a spice used in pickling) for canker sores – wet finger slightly, dip in powder and press on sore. Let spittle drain into sink for about a minute. Rinse. I think it puffs up the sore, allowing it to heal, but it probably has some analgesic properties as well. I seem to get canker sores when traveling, so I keep a little container of powder with me.”

A few years ago, we wrote about sixteen home remedies people like to use to treat canker sores. Tell us about your favorite in the comment section below.

Join Over 145,000 Subscribers
at The People's Pharmacy

1. Margie
    North Carolina

I use a q tip swabbed in raw honey a couple times a day and the canker sore will be gone in short order. As a kid my Mom would give us an extra helping of green vegetables which worked as well.

2. Andrea
    MIchigan

IMPORTANT about Kiwi fruit. It is a blood thinner. Ask your doctor if Kiwi fruit is ok for you. I take Xarelto and my pharmacist said that if my gums start to bleed then to cut back on the Kiwi for a while and never eat more than one per day.

3. Marilynn

I don’t get canker sores, but I do suffer with lichen planus – which is an autoimmune and very painful mouth sore problem. It is seriously impacting my life. Thanks for any help.

4. Nikki

Saturating a cotton ball with hydrogen peroxide and placing it on the canker sore for a few seconds gets rid of my canker sores within 24 hours.

5. Ginny
    IL

I have used hydrogen peroxide on a Q-tip applied directly to the sore. Gone within a day or two!

6. David
    Lakeland Florida

I dissolve a little Himalayan pink salt in the saliva in my mouth for 5 to 10 minutes, swishing it around thoroughly (then spit it out – do not swallow or you will have loose stools) every few hours and canker sores heal up FAST!

7. Carla
    NE Ohio

Kiwi’s work great for me, and I am grateful to The People’s Pharmacy because I learned about them here!

8. Bonnie
    North Canton, Ohio

Watermelon Frost was recommended to me by a Chinese pathologist years ago. It makes my canker sores go away in just a few days vs the 2 weeks it would normally take. I use the powdered version which has an unpleasant taste but it works. I put it on the sore a few times a day or as often as I remember. I can now get it via Amazon.

9. Shel
    Wisconsin

Dissolving one daily sublingual vitamin B12 tablet under the tongue for 2 days is quite effective at relieving the soreness and aids in healing the canker sore. Must be the sublingual tablet though. We have found this at Walgreens for approx. $9 per bottle. We gave this advice to a doctor who suffers from canker sores as well. Sure enough, he now passes this info on to his patients with canker sores.