a bottle of budeprion xl 300mg

A decade ago we received a message from J. in Danville, New York. She said:

“I have been taking Budeprion XL 300 mg for three months instead of Wellbutrin XL 300 mg. I find that I am easily upset and cry very easily. Sometimes I feel aggressive. I also have short, stabbing pains in my head. Taking the brand-name drug (Wellbutrin) helped me feel the best I have felt in twenty years–not depressed and able to enjoy being with my family and friends.”

That letter started a saga of woe and intrigue with the Food and Drug administration. When we published J’s message in our syndicated newspaper column, we started hearing from other people with similar stories. At first it was dozens of letters. Then scores. Eventually hundreds of people wrote to say that Budeprion XL 300 and some other generic bupropion products were not working as well as Wellbutrin.

We sent these messages on to the FDA. The answer from executives at the agency was that this was all a tempest in a tea pot. These were psychosomatic reactions (headache, anxiety, irritability, nausea, dizziness, insomnia, tremor, mood swings, panic attacks, depression, suicidal thoughts, etc). A highly-placed FDA staffer insisted that such side effects could not be brought on by the generic drug. Budeprion and Wellbutrin were supposed to be identical.

After five years of arm-wrestling the FDA, we learned that the agency would request removal of Budeprion XL 300 and some other generic bupropion products. At long last the FDA admitted that there were problems with the absorption of these generics. They were not considered “bioequivalent.” Here is a post we wrote nearly five years ago.

Patients Vindicated! Generic Wellbutrin Withdrawn

Fast Forward to Bupropion 2017:

We had hoped that the problems with generic Wellbutrin (bupropion) were behind us. Officials at the FDA seemed more vigilant about approving this generic product. Sadly, we are starting to hear from readers again that they are experiencing problems. Here is the latest story:

Q. I believe you helped reveal the generic Wellbutrin (bupropion) failures several years ago. Is there any chance that there are still problems with some generic pills?

I have chronic fatigue, for which I take bupropion. About eight months ago, I started having bad nausea every single day. I tried everything, but the only thing that helped was Dramamine, which made me too drowsy to function. I even tried lowering my dose of bupropion, but the nausea didn’t go away. (My morning dose stayed the same.)

I read a recent news article (Bloomberg) about the differences between generic and brand-name drugs. I realized the release mechanism of my morning pills might be the problem. I take two bupropion in the morning, get nauseated and crash around midday.

I’m convinced that the pills are dumping the active ingredient in my system far too quickly, causing that rollercoaster side effect profile. It started when I got a new job and thus, a new online pharmacy that sent a different generic.

After that insight, I switched to a longer-acting version and I haven’t been nauseous since. Does the FDA do testing for this type of problem?

A. We alerted the FDA to problems with generic Wellbutrin (bupropion) back in 2007. It took five years for the agency to acknowledge there was a serious problem with some slow-release bupropion formulations. Although these drugs were removed from the market, we have continued to receive complaints about certain generic products. The FDA doesn’t test samples submitted by individuals.

Other Readers Complaining about Generic Wellbutrin (bupropion)

Inez in Preston, MD:

“I have been taking Wellbutrin for years. Of course insurance required a change to generic bupropion. I tried it and it DID work. My pharmacy changed to a different manufacturer. The pills even looked different.

“It was bupropion XL. After a week of headaches, nausea, vivid dreams, etc. (felt like withdrawal; like I wasn’t even taking it) I realized that is the only change and symptoms started a day after the change.”

Carolyn in Colorado:

“I had been on Wellbutrin for 20 years or so. Bupropion or what ever that pill is had an horrible effect on me. It took a year or so to find the right one in the first place. I have tried what they call bupropion and had a horrible time. It also smells like sulfur which I am allergic to.

“Tried another which did not work. Horrible. I am having a terrible time not wanting to end it all. I feel that I can not make it and just want to leave. Why mess with something that works?”

John in Texas reports a similar situation:

“Reading these entries is rather alarming. I have been taking the round small bupropion XL for 2 years. I experienced a drastic improvement in my bipolar 2 depressive symptoms.

“Within the last 2-3 weeks of taking the same dosage, but a new manufacturer, I am having suicidal ideations. These thoughts are persistent. I have never considered thoughts such as these…ever! This manufacturer was just approved. It’s an oblong, white pill. Anyone else out there going through anything similar?”

Laura in Arkansas feels blindsided:

“I feel like I’ve been blindsided by the manufacturers of name brand Wellbutrin. I used to take it and it was affordable. Now, I have no option. It’s too expensive to use. The drug companies get you used to using it then jack up the price so high nobody can afford to pay for it. Thanks manufacturer of name-brand Wellbutrin XL.”

Can You Believe the Price?

We just checked with our local chain pharmacy. The cost for one month’s supply (30 days) of brand name Wellbutrin XL 300 was $1,836. Yup, you read that right. That means each pill costs over $60. Put another way, a year’s supply of brand-name Wellbutrin XL 300 could cost a depressed patient over $20,000.

The original developer of Wellbutrin was Burroughs Wellcome. When that company was acquired, the drug became the property of GlaxoSmith Kline, now known as GSK. More recently, the drug was acquired by Valeant, a Canadian drug company.

We checked with PharmacyChecker.com. This organization compares prices. They say that Canadian pharmacies charge roughly between $1.30 and $2.19 per pill for the branded version of Wellbutrin XL 300.

The Canadian Option:

We have created a Guide to Saving Money on Medicine with tips on how to use generic drugs wisely. There are also legitimate Canadian pharmacies where you can buy brand-name drugs at more affordable prices. Access to this online resource may be found in our Guide section:

Share your own experience with Wellbutrin (bupropion) below in the comment section. While you are at it, please let the FDA know if you have had problems with either Wellbutrin or bupropion at their MedWatch site. We told executives at the agency that we are once again hearing about problems with this antidepressant but we are not sure whether they are really paying attention.

1. Joan
    Shubuta MS

I have been taking this G E Bupropion for 7 years… Yes, I was also affected by the recall several years back. This new manufacture is not selling the proper grade equivalent. This is the worse I have been in years. Depression, nightmares, trouble even leaving the house.

Even thoughts of ending it all. I can not function like this.. In a complete fog all day, crying spells, insecurity. I do not want to loose all that I have gained. But there seems to be no joy in my life everything is hard to do.

Actually very scared. Will have to discontinue use until someone steps up and takes care of this problem. They need to do a class action suit. Maybe then they will think twice about selling crap replacement pills.

2. Brenda
    CA

I’ve recently started on Bupropian. Never the brand name though. I have recently been charged from one genetic brand to another. Since then I’ve had terrible difficulty sleeping and my RLS is worse than ever. The only thing that had changed is this Rx. Of course, when at the major chain pharmacy (the only one I canuse withmy insurance) I’m told it’s virtually the same.

I need to do something soon. Even with sleep meds and my other meds and melatonin i’m still waking up a couple hours after I go to bed 😫

3. Keek
    WA

I’ve had the same issues as other with the generic. It is not even close to equivalent. For the past year I’ve been paying for Wellbutrin XL out of pocket from a Canadian pharmacy. A 90-day supply was $204.00. My dr. would send the prescription to them. Sadly, the U.S. government is forcing them to close their website – not due to any issues with mail order pharmacy but with an issue several years back with their wholesale pharmacy. A similar issue happened with CVS, but the US gov is not forcing them to close. You can look up the details. I really don’t know what I will do after they close in July because my insurance will not cover name brand anything, and the generic XL version of Wellbutrin doesn’t work at all. I suspect a lot of pressure from Big Pharma was behind this.

4. William
    oregon

Switching to the non-generic version of Wellbutrin (thank you, Canadian pharmacy and People’s Pharmacy) solved difficulties I had experienced over the years with different generic versions. Most notably, panic symptoms, which I have not experienced since starting the brand version five months ago.

5. L
    Atlanta area

I have been taking generic bupropion for several years. Because of the insane price hikes this year- (and raised our premium to a nearly impossible rate)- we were told to order our meds through some mail order pharmacy or switch to Walgreens from Kroger pharmacy, where we have been for the past ten years. This past month, I noticed the bupropion (300 cream) from Walgreens looked different from what I have been taking. I can definitely feel it lacking effectiveness, with the some of the depression, irritability, and anxiety returning- the depression in particular is frightening for me. Luckily our mail order pharmacy (after having various problems with Walgreens, we switched again) has sent me the same generic as Kroger pharmacy. By the way, I don’t blame this on Walgreens at all- I am sure they are different in certain regions. It just happened to be my experience.

6. Amber D.
    VA

I have been taking Wellbutrin XL (brand ) for almost 13 years, with amazing results. It was the only thing that cured my recurring depression and allowed me to live a normal, productive life. The insurance offered by my employer recently changed, and I was forced to switch to the generic because the brand would have cost me nearly $1800/month WITH insurance coverage. My psychiatrist said his patients have not done well on the generic XL, so he put me on the generic SR, which I take twice a day (instead of once a day with the XL).

I’ve been on the generic for about 6 weeks and feel worse than I have in years — depressed, crying for no reason, hopeless. This is the second time in the last 13 years that I tried a generic version of the drip (the last time was a decade ago when I tried the generic bupropion XL). Both times my depression returned within weeks of the change. I am beside myself. The generic is obviously not being absorbed by my body at the same rate or to the same extent as the brand.

Why can’t the FDA look into this? And why can’t my insurance company force the brand to negotiate a lower price? I know I’m not the only one who has had this experience.

7. Becky
    Nebraska

I just started taking Buproprion for Wellbutrin SR in October of 2017. Never took the brand-name drug. It has helped with my depression, but it increases the ringing in my ears and I feel like I’m easily agitated and on edge.

My dose was recently increased to 200mg 2x a day, and the ringing is worse, I feel like I cry more easily and my jaw is clenched all the time. I sweat just walking down the hallway at work. I’d love to have the relief of the drug without the physical side-effects. It is difficult to take. But at this point I’m not sure what else to do.

8. MES
    California

My insurance company (United) will not cover brand name Wellbutrin. I take Wellbutrin XL 150 and it wants to charge me $2000 a month! Last year my doctor filed appeals and numerous documents to finally allow them to give me the brand name and NOT the worthless generic version. Now, even though I have changed nothing, United is saying that approval has “expired”! I need to go through all of it AGAIN and there are no guarantees they will approve it this time. Do these insurance companies really want to be responsible for thousands of suicides??! Why do they think we demand the brand-name version… for laughs? NO, because it DOESN’T work!

• Marge
      Illinois

Yep – United has even DENIED the Appeals TWICE. I am stunned by this. Even more, I am SHOCKED at how this drug company has increased the price! I am surprised they are even afloat at this rate. No doubt, they have very deep pockets. I have been on XL 3000, so you can imagine what that one costs. Mine is also used for pain, which causes depression, as we all know. I am tempted to go thru Canada, but have heard one is being shut down for giving counterfeit drugs. They are being criminally prosecuted. So, now what?

• Belinda
      Georgia

I have had the same problems I was on the brand Wellbutrin years ago and it was wonderful but the price kept going up even though I had insurance now it’s over $1,000 out of pocket a month the generic has never helped me I don’t understand why the price keeps going up because of the medication has not changed it’s a shame I’ve tried everything else in the side effects are terrible.

9. Melissa
    Midwest

Like Kay Florida maybe? 4.25.18 I THOUGHT PERHAPS I had noticed SOME undigested pills but when I saw TRIPLES (My dose is three 150 mg bupropion XL in the AM) passing through undigested AT THE SAME TIME I began to catch on. They are passing through my system entirely undigested at least part of the time from the manufacturer Par Pharm which I know because I have checked a few times, still in original condition after a couple of meals and 10 or 11 hours with little change. No wonder I spend a majority of each day looking out of the window at work wondering why I even bother to live…..I am in month 4 and a couple of weeks of this manufacturer!

I have been taking this medication, mostly as a generic, for over a decade and I know how I am supposed to feel when I am getting the medication in my system. If I hadn’t spent so many years living with depression, being educated about it by my own means and otherwise, working on it, in therapy, working my way out of it, around it, making ‘friends’ with it, etc.

I might not know any better than to follow these horrible thoughts but even I could fall prey to having nothing but these thoughts day in and day out. I don’t know how we can say that we live in a modern, civilized country, some would say the greatest country in the world, when we allow such a disparity in the manufacture of drugs within these generics and turn a blind eye to it.

10. Helen
    Indiana

My insurance just denied my claim for name brand Wellbutrin 300xl stating that I needed to try two other antidepressants before they would make the approval. My problem is I have already done that with disastrous results.

The first was in 2002 when I took Paxil. That was before people knew that antidepressants could cause suicidal thoughts/ideation. I had no idea that I was slipping further down a well of insanity until I almost killed myself.
    Inspite of major depressive disorder, I stayed away from antidepressants until 2007 when I finally sought professional help. I was placed on Wellbutrin 300xl and responded immediately and positively to the medication. When my month sample ran out, I got a refill at the pharmacy. They gave me Budeprion. Within days I was spiraling out of control with no way of knowing what was happening since all generics are the same as name brand, right?

The only reason I didn’t commit suicide this time, was because I was fostering a dog that started acting strangely and refused to leave my side. Especially in the shower, which is where I would fantasize for hours about cutting my wrists as the water grew cold. I would hallucinate/fantasize about my blood mixing with the water and circling down the drain. My dog would sit with her head poked through the shower curtain. Weird, I thought. That dogs’ behavior is strange. No. It was me.

I researched what would make a dog act like that and realized that I was the one who was sick. It came into sharp focus and I finally did research and found The People’s Pharmacy report on Budeprion. I showed that to my Psychiatrist and she switched me to the brand again straight away.

Now, 11 years later, I am successfully being treated using therapy and the same Wellbutrin regimen from 2007. I have an excellent and successful career and life. I am terrified about what to do next. I can start taking the generic, Activas and hope for the best, when the worst actually means possible death. Or I can wean myself off the few remaining Wellbutrin and hope for the best, where the worst means I’m incapacitated by crippling depression.

It all sounds horribly dramatic, but I assure you, this is what my current reality is. What do I do? I’m clinically diagnosed with the same disorder by three independent doctors. Every time I’ve taken a different medication, I’ve gone crazy. Only this time I don’t have a dog to snap me out of it. It is a most terrifying thing to lose your mind, and not even know it is happening until it is almost (or is) too late.

These brain medications are nothing to trifle with. They aren’t just some random ‘feel better’ pill. They are actually keeping me alive and functioned and off disability (or worse). I feel like calling the CEO of my insurance company and telling them I’d be happy to try the new meds with the caveat that I move in with them and they deal with whatever consequences come of the medication switch. Is there any hope for me?

Or is my time simply up as a functioning and successful adult? Can anyone help? I have 8 days of meds left. When those are out, will my time be up or is there some white knight pharmaceutical solution on the horizon of which I am unaware? I don’t want to die…now. Can I say the same in 3 weeks? Will I still be here in 3 weeks? I’m just a number to the insurance company. Perhaps I’ll leave directive to carve that number on my headstone instead of my name.

• Toni
      Harrison Twp., MI

Do these insurance companies ever really look into our records to see what ant depressants we have already tried? I don’t think they do. Then when we finally hit on a name brand one that works they decide then not to cover it and demand that we get generic. Why should I feel worse just so they can save money?

11. Kathy
    Fairmont, WV

I had taken brand name Wellbutrin for 20 years for major depression. Brand name helped my depression so much. The generic ARE NOT the same. I feel that it is very unfair to sell these generics when they are definitely NOT as therapeutic as the brand ones.

12. Dawn
    Texas

I recently started taking bupropion again (I took it years ago, and it worked well but was off it for a number of years for various reasons). It was working extremely well, and my depression improved dramatically while I was taking the PAR Pharmaceutical generic (300 mg XL, round, white with A102 on it). But when my pharmacy recently filled my prescription with the Actavis brand (same dose, long white oval with 142 on it). Right away I noticed that the effects of this pill felt MUCH weaker than what I was used to. After about 10 days I was feeling severely depressed (thoughts of self harm), I was having vivid nightmares, and experienced dizziness and trouble concentrating. After a day or two of this sudden severe depression I realized it must have been caused by the switch to Actavis. I went back on PAR Pharmaceutical brand and felt better almost immediately. I don’t know if this was simply a bad batch but I’m very disturbed at the almost total lack of efficacy of the Actavis brand.

• Brittany
      Maryland

I’ve had a bunch of life changes happening around the same time that I was switched in the EXACT SAME WAY as you, and I’m just now coming to realize that it’s probably the med switch. I kept using my same techniques for coping that I learned from therapy, and they weren’t working anymore. I’m more easily frustrated and have been crying way more often (even at work!) and have been straining my personal relationships pretty heavily with all of my insecurity.

I just received my latest 3 month supply and they are no longer the Actavis brand. I’m going to discontinue taking the Actavis and go for the most recent ones. Crossing my fingers that it works.

13. Kay
    Florida

For years, I was on Wellbutrin XL 300, which was covered by my health insurance with a slightly higher copay than generic as long as the doctor indicated it was “medically necessary”. Any time I moved, had a new doctor, they would insist I try generic again. It didn’t work. But also, I noticed what some have reported here for the brand name XL, undigested or partially digested pills passing.

And no, it was not just the shell. Because of that, with the help of my current doctor, we tried generic formulations immediate release and sustained release (changes in insurance coverage made it worth another try). For whatever reason, I react horribly to the generic sustained release, but finally found Mylan immediate release, 2×75 mg both taken in the morning worked well enough. My pharmacy refilled my prescription the first week in April, 2018 with a new manufacturer, Heritage Pharma, and it’s been straight downhill ever since. I can’t sleep, am anxious, angry, blow up easily, and am gaining weight after a year in which I lost 50 lbs., reduced blood pressure, pulled A1C from over 7 to just over 5, reduced triglycerides, and according to my regular doctor have all the indications of excellent health now–until this damned cheap crap being sold as Wellbutrin.

I have had issues before when pharmacies changed my thyroid medication manufacturer and was told by CVS that because different patients reacted differently to different generics, they contracted to stay with the same manufacturer and I am now fine on generic. The same with another medication. What is terrifying is the negative effects can range from simply ineffective to truly dangerous. As far as the Mylan bupropion, now that I am on the Heritage Pharma for a few weeks it’s clear I’m having withdrawal symptoms, and they are serious. I will write and report the problem, but have no hope the government, particularly this administration, will take any action to address what is demonstrably a flawed measure of bioequivalency.

I don’t know what to do, but as soon as my prescribing doctor’s office opens today, I will be on the phone with her seeking help, and on the phone with CVS. Though my local CVS is quite helpful, don’t have much hope they can help me if CVS no longer carries the Mylan. It infuriates me for patients to be dismissed as having psychosomatic symptoms. I’m a retired college professor and after decades of experience am a student of my own specific reactions to supposedly identical medications which, for me and many others, are anything but identical.

14. Tracy
    California

I have been taking generic Wellbutrin SR 200mg twice a day for many years. For the last 9 mos. I have been struggling with exhaustion, slow reflexes, feeling constantly sedated, hopeless, sad etc. I asked my Dr. why the meds aren’t giving me energy like they used to. The pills look the same, round and pink. I have a bottle of extra Pills from several years ago, same shape and color so I assume same manufacturer. They are the same strength. I have been taking them for 10 days now and feel terrific! I think the new pills must be different and are not effective for me. Now what do I do? I can’t tolerate SSRI’s. Maybe I will try different maker and hope that works. It’s SO frustrating to find what works and then have that taken away.
    I don’t think I have ever tried the brand name. Has anyone been able to find it for a reasonable price? Mexico maybe? It would be worth it to go there and buy it if I have too!

15. Mary
    Tennessee

I have been taking Wellbutrin XL for 20+ years but only in about the last 8 have I been taking the generic because my doctor wouldn’t allow it before. I researched it and found out that some generics caused problems, and some did not. Recently, my pharmacy switched to Par Pharm. I have been blowing up at people for nothing, angry all the time, depressed again, can’t lose weight, can’t make decisions. This is a nightmare! This is the only drug that has ever worked for me, and now it is causing me problems. Help!

16. A
    Los Angeles

DO NOT start taking Wellbutrin. This is the biggest regret of my life. After years of searching for an anti-depression medication, it did bring me relief. But when I tried weaning myself off, because I wanted to get pregnant, it triggered life-long migraines and then fibromyalgia. Since 2005, at the age of 40 I have been on anti-migraine and pain medication, and at the age of 48 I have been on disability. I am in constant pain. I have missed my life. My life is over all because of Wellbutrin. My neurologist said he believes it should be pulled from the shelves. I agree.

17. Mary
    MD

I had been on Wellburin XL 300mg for 12 years without problem. This Feb I had a huge seizure; was in the hospital 4Days with medical bills over $10,000.

This was so scary. I was taken off the Wellbutrin because of the risk of seizure. I stopped cold-turkey; sweats and constant vomiting for over a month, but I am feeling much better now. I cannot believe the FDA has not pulled this drug off the market.

I am lucky I was not driving when this happened. This drug is pure poison. I guess I need an attorney. I have lost 2 months of work and have huge medical bills. So glad I am off that poison.

18. Meryl
    East Coast

I found this because I was looking up issues with generic Bupropion XL 300 mg. I had this issue with the rapid bioavailability of the med about 10 + years ago, resulting in panic attacks, and asked for my doctor to prescribe the name brand instead. I immediately stopped having anxiety attacks. Once the problem was IDed by the FDA and apparently pulled the problem versions off the market, I went back to the generic. In the last few months, maybe up to the last year, I’ve noticed my anxiety, irritability, anger are completely out of control to the point where I don’t even recognize myself sometimes. I’ve asked my Dr to lower it to 150 mg but I’m now wondering after seeing this article if we’re yet again experiencing issues with the generics. It’s infuriating (or is that just the bupropion setting me off :) ). The manufacturers should be forced to do bioavailability testing in human subjects for every available dose. Frustrating, to say the least

19. Bee
    Washington

Is there a generic for Wellbutrin SR150 that works like the name brand? If so, who is the manufacturer? I’ve been on Wellbutrin for years but the name brand medication has just gotten too expensive.

• Dee
      Upstate NY

I have taken Bupropion (Wellbutrin generic) by Mylan for years with no problems. You may want to see if it’s available. Recently, my pharmacy changed to Bupropion by Solco, which I am finding is ineffective. Back to depression, mood swings, anxiety, irritability, etc. Just starting to attempt to get Mylan product again. Very discouraging.

• Amber
        Missouri

My pharmacist reports today that Mylan is “out of stock” with bupropion (Wellbutrin). I’d already been paying $80 per month instead of the insurance $10 co-pay because they said they were losing money getting a “brand specific” generic instead of the little pink-red pills that gave me horrible headaches and didn’t work at all. I tried them for over a month three separate times. It wasn’t psychosomatic. So now I’m stuck. I’ve taken this med for 15 years. It works. Or it did. Guess it’s back to the trial and error game again to find a different med.

20. Jan
    19015

This is the second month in a row where I refilled my script for Wellbutrin XL 150mg at a big-chain pharmacy. The price was $5. I’m paying out of pocket. I don’t know what’s going on. I can’t find anything about a massive price reduction. Of course, I did not question it.

21. Joan
    Mississippi

I was caught up with the bad drug replacement 5 years ago. Had a very bad reaction was almost hospitalized because of it. Now they have changed it up again. The dark red replacement pill my chain pharmacy has changed to is horrible. Nightmares, anxiety, depression, confusion. I can’t go through this again. Am allergic to most other anti depressants so what am I going to do now. They are going to have big problems with this off brand. Is there nothing we can do to change this? Class action? Just got my life back to where it is functional. Am at a loss as to what to do now

22. Laura
    New York

I have occasionally noticed (getting gross here) a pill in my stool. The only pill I take anywhere close to this shape is Bupropion HCL XL 150. When I have noticed it, it seems to be intact. I decided to put on disposable gloves ones day and picked it up. Outside white color had discolored (of course it had passed through me) but when I squeezed it the contents were still inside and still white.

So does this mean it had NOT broken down enough for the medication to be absorbed??? This first occurred at least a year ago (my memory is awful so I’m not sure exactly how long ago, could be longer). On the occasion I do see it in my stool (50% of the time), half of that I pick it out and see if it’s full. More often than not, the contents are still inside. I have found that it is just the shell of the casing but not as often. The pill is small, white and round.

23. Kelly
    NC

I was stable for years first on brand name Wellbutrin and then on a generic. However, over the past year I have been dealing with worsening symptoms of depression. I thought I was going crazy. I suspect now that I was suffering because the Actavis bupropion XL 300 is not as effective for me as what I was on before my pharmacy switched brands. A month ago I got switched again without notification to the Par brand. It took me weeks of panic attacks, unusually vivid dreams, utter lack of motivation, suicidal thoughts and problems with anger management, to realize that the Par bupropion is the culprit. (Years ago I had a similar problem with Teva before it was withdrawn from the market, which took me much longer to work out because my pharmacy swore up and down at the time that it was identical to brand name Wellbutrin. I know better now, in large part because of the People’s Pharmacy article.) Currently I am trying Mylan with better results. I hope my health continues to improve. It’s criminal that generics that can range so dramatically – and disastrously – in effect are considered interchangeable by the FDA and commercial pharmacies.

• Kim
      Texas

Kelly could you tell me where you are getting the Mylan brand? That works best for me and I’m having a hard time finding it.

Thanks.

• Stacy
        NJ

I am full swing in worse depressive mode in years . Has happened before with certain bupropion xl 300mg suppliers. Only Actavis (formerly Watson) and another A-starting one, Anchen or something, work. I don’t think any of the oval ones like bluepoint are the same. I remember every time to tell them, but this last time I messed up and ended up with ineffective ones. I wish I could take brand name. I have no other generic medicine problems. I take dollar tree ibuprofen with no issue!

• Lou
      Delaware

I just had the same thing happen – found a pill “shell” with powder still inside. I’m taking Bupropion XL 150 from Actavis

24. Victoria
    Seattle

Dammit. I’ve been having insane mood swings, lost all my sex drive, been crying constantly, etc. and I was convinced I was premenopausal/having marital issues. Turns out, the generic for the 150SR (purple round pill with 525 on it) is from some out-of-country manufacturer, and people have had loads and loads and loads of problems. Thankfully, I have an understanding and available doctor who is able to lobby for me + walk me through the ropes of getting the brand name through insurance. I almost lost my mind and ruined my life.

25. Kay
    WASHINGTON

On February 8, 2018 my pharmacist switched me from

Actavis South Atlantic LLC’s Bupropion Hydrochloride – 24 HR Bupropion Hydrochloride 300 MG Extended Release Oral Tablet

to

Golden State Medical Supply, Inc.’s version.

I’ve been experiencing severe depression and suicidal ideation since the switch. Before this, my depression was under control.

I’ve reported this to the FDA using your link and am returning to my pharmacy today to ask the pharmacist to switch me back and to make an official report. I am posting here so that others can see this and feel confident in asking for the same thing if they are experiencing similar symptoms.

Please keep reporting and encouraging consumer labs to do more testing on bupropion again. It will save lives. The only reason I feel confident asking for the switch is because of your reporting on previous problems and this most recent post about July 2017. I was on bupropion for years and have only experienced suicidal ideation since taking the Golden State Medical Supply version.

Thank you so much.

• Sherry
      Texas

Thank you for this post. Unbeknownst to me my pharmacy switched my Bupropion from ACTAVIS to IMPAX in March. And I had no idea why I was back in my ‘dark days’. Now I know and can try to get this corrected.

• Claire
      New Jersey

I have been the exact same, constantly crying and telling my gynecologist I’m premenopausal. Had my IUD taken out. I have been a mess. I have been on bupropion XL 300mg and a generic topamax. I stopped the generic wellbutrin a few weeks ago to see if that was my issue, and it did help some but I also believe it’s the generic topamax as well. I have now slowly weaned myself off of that. I have now been approved for the name brand Wellbutrin and will be picking it up today so I am praying it works, as my anxiety is back so badly.

26. Kody
    california

Yes, I too tried using the Valeant coupon and was told that in California they no longer can take the coupon. I researched further and found that our great state of California passed Assembly Bill 265 which prohibits the usage of Prescription coupons in California. However, there is an exception to the law. Section 132004, (C) The individual has completed any applicable step therapy or prior authorization requirements for the branded prescription drug a mandated by the individuals health insurer, health care service plan, or other health coverage.

I called Valeant Wellbutrin XL customer service on 3 separate occasions and they were unwilling to help, even though I read them the exception to the law. The law is easily available on Google. In contrast, Pfizer, the maker of Zoloft did allow me to use their coupon at the pharmacy. I’m not sure what to do either. I may attempt to contact news companies to see if they would help with a news story. Maybe pressure from the public will do something.