painful hemorrhoids

Women have to make a lot of adjustments right after giving birth. Their bodies change dramatically in that process. While many of the alterations are nature’s way of helping a mother nurture the infant, some aren’t helpful at all. The development of painful hemorrhoids is one such change.

What Can a New Mother Do About Painful Hemorrhoids?

Q. Right after I delivered my baby, I realized I had hemorrhoids. It felt like an entire bunch of grapes, and it made bathroom visits very painful-worse than childbirth.

The doctor recommended a sitz bath. It is a basin to put under the toilet seat, so that warm water can gently clean that area. It was wonderful.

He also prescribed lidocaine. I applied it once I had my bottom dry.

When I needed to sit, I used a hemorrhoid circle, like a big doughnut, to make sitting more comfortable. The other thing that helped while I was recovering from labor was stool softeners. They definitely made it easier while the hemorrhoids were healing.

I hope this helps other new mothers who find all that pushing brought out the hemorrhoids as well as the baby.

Soothing Sitz Bath:

A. Painful hemorrhoids are a common complication of pregnancy and delivery. Many women have found a sitz bath soothing. You can even get the benefits of soaking in warm water by sitting in the bathtub.

Lidocaine is a topical anesthetic, so we are not surprised that you found it helpful. Other readers have found relief from hemorrhoid pain with witch hazel or zinc oxide. Sometimes a dietary supplement such as horse chestnut may also ease the pain (MacKay, Alternative Medicine Review, April 2001).

Join Over 145,000 Subscribers
at The People's Pharmacy

1. Lara
    SC

I got mine while vacationing in Greece. Nothing seemed to help so I finally went to a doctor. He recommended swimming in the cool “salty” ocean (which was downright cold) and prescribed a stool softener. Worked like a charm.

2. Emily
    California

I have found taking Horse Chestnut to be very helpful – that, and Butcher’s Broom. In addition, I read once about using a topical application of honey, which I decided to try. It worked surprisingly well!

3. Rev

A 2nd in 10 years routine Colonoscopy 2.5 years ago greatly aggravated my very mild external hemorrhoids which had rarely bothered me. The Doctor who did the Colonoscopy prescribed Preparation H. I tried it and several other brands without success for over a year. I had little pain but the swelling was nearly always there in the evenings when they would shrink temporarily during my before bedtime warm water soaping and rinsing shower.

Finally, I gave on the store salves at the end of the evening shower and switched to covering the hemorrhoids with soft Dial bath soap only. I sometimes also did that during the day after a bowel movement. Within a month it seemed to be a permanent cure. However, it is so easy to apply the soap after a shower, I still frequently do it. I’m a 83 year old man.

4. J R
    ROANOKE RAPIDS, NC

I have never had a baby, BUT I have had hemorrhoids. My wife also had a problem with them, until we heard about a relief.

I was told, to relieve hemorrhoids to eat 1 Tablespoon of Molasses each day. I was hurting bad enough so I ate 1 Tablespoon full of Grandma’s Molasses. The second day, I had less pain and I ate 1 Tablespoon of the molasses. The third day, I had less pain and I again ate the molasses. After about a week, I was not bothered with any hemorrhoids.

After my wife observed my relief, she tried it and her hemorrhoids pain also went away.

It worked for us. Hope it will work for you.

5. Pam

Having suffered from hemorrhiods since teenhood, I drink at least 8-10 glasses of water/day. Have had some of them popped in the emergency room to relieve pressure.

Then came childbirth. I still have inner ones & outer ones. The only things which keep mine under control: Magnesium each night to keep stools soft.

Tronolane applied externally after each bowel movement. Rutin supplements (one/day 500 mg.) to control the swelling. I don’t eat seeds/nuts because these aggravate the hemorrhoids.

6. Barbara
    Albany, NY

Be very careful with Horse Chestnut. It can make you horribly nauseous and can even make you vomit. If you do use it, take it with food. Epsom salts in the Sitz bath will help as well.

7. Brenda
    TX

Your suggestion to apply Noxema to hemorrhoids was a very good suggestion. I use it now when I have a hemorrhoid acting up.

8. Kris
    Darien, CT

I had hemorrhoid pain that was exceptionally painful (way worse than the lacerations and stitches from childbirth) after delivering my third child.

I used high-dose hydrocortisone suppositories, which my MD prescribed, in addition to lydocaine and pain medictation. The suppositories are what did the the trick for reducing the size of my hemorrhoids.

9. Hilary L
    Devon, UK

As a qualified aromatherapist and midwife, I would recommend up to 3 drops of geranium essential oil in a sitz bath (a large bowl of warm water you can sit in). One or two drops of lavender oil could also be used to soothe.