A box of Aleve (naproxen sodium) capsules 220mg (NSAID), pain relief

Pain is one of the most common reasons people seek medical care. But physicians often face a dilemma when they treat joint pain, back pain or muscle spasms with prescription pills. Drugs that relieve pain effectively frequently carry frightening side effects, especially over the long term.

Problems with NSAIDs for Pain Relief:

Doctors usually rely on a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) such as celecoxib (Celebrex), diclofenac (Cataflam, Voltaren), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB), meloxicam (Mobic) or naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn) to treat arthritis or other inflammatory diseases. But these pills can harm the kidneys and increase the possibility of a heart attack or stroke if they are used for more than a short time.

Limited Pain Relief from Steroid Joint Injections:

Likewise, steroids such as prednisone or methylprednisolone calm inflammation well but pose hazards even in short term use. What about steroid injections? New research demonstrates that repeated injections into an arthritic knee do not help the pain, but they do speed cartilage loss. Arthroscopic surgery, though extremely popular, is not supported by research data either.

Will Home Remedies Provide Pain Relief?

As a result, people in pain find themselves in a difficult situation. Should they try home remedies for pain relief? Perhaps. Sometimes simple remedies can work reasonably well in the short term. Recent scientific advances in the study of transient receptor potential (TRP) channels help explain how some old-fashioned approaches work.

Your Calls Are Welcome:

Have you found medicines that allow you to manage your pain well? Which remedies have you found helpful? Have you experienced any troubling side effects from taking-or even from stopping-the drugs you have used for pain relief? We are interested in your stories, and we’ll do our best to answer your questions. Tune in Saturday, May 20, 2017, from 7 to 8 AM EDT or call 1-888-472-3366. You can also reach us through email (radio@peoplespharmacy.com) or Twitter @peoplespharmacy.

Listen to the Podcast:

Buy the CD

Download the mp3

Air Date:May 20, 2017

Join Over 145,000 Subscribers
at The People's Pharmacy

1. Paul
    Texas

We all need relief not sympathy. a lot of the pain remedies, have side effects, including; — particularly, IBUPROFEN . I found a pain relief, that states that it is the #1 alternative, to ‘ Ibuprofen & NSAID’. This has no side ffects, and appears to work for my family and me. The name is; –” AminoActiv”, —[ NOTE THAT THERE IS NO ‘E’ at the end of, Activ. 855-442-6466. Also try, — ‘AminoActv.com’, on Google.

2. Laurie N
    Albuquerque, NM

I wish I could understand your audio programs, but I can’t because of poor hearing. It would help if you could have a downloadable PDF with the text for each program. TIA.

3. D H
    Southern California

I have nothing to add other than I appreciate the information in this website.
    Thank you & continued success.
    Laguna Woods Village, California

4. TOM
    FL

I took 1 Aleve a day for 6 weeks and would up with 3 stomach ulcers that had to be cauterized and had 3 blood transfusions to make up for the blood lost in my liquid stool. Dr told me he’s 99% sure the Aleve caused the ulcers.
    Tom, age 83, in Florida

5. Janice

Cont.. I was in a MBA 50 yes ago. Yes, I have acute chronic pain in my spine with muscle spasms which can bring me to tears. Go Natural. Research holistic medicines. No coffee. Watch your diet. No sugar! Read. Cut drama from your life. Find a well balanced doctor! Organic EVOO. Laugh…!!

• Janice

Corrections: MVA with head injury, broken bones. I have pinched nerves, scoliosis, a knee going out, spinal stenosis, DDD, acute tinnitus, Cppd and more. I’m 68 yrs and biting the bullet everyday.

6. Janice
    West Coast

NSAIDS are the worst to take whether It or prescription, topical or tablet. OTCs have soo many side effects that are dangerous. P/T is a waste of time and money. Steroid injections cause serious consequences. Chiropractors can pinch nerves in the spine! Western medicine is a huge network of money making Practitioners (key word is practicing)!

I’ve tried prescription pain meds which are just a bandaid and Drs are fearful plus get angry if patients even ask to try something. The US medical industry is a MESS. Chemicals, cancer causing) are added to our water, in the sky, baby products and sunscreens have added 1,4 dioxane!! Our food is laced with poisons. My advice is return to your grandmother’s ways of everything!

Get a jar of Vicks, a heating pad, ice bag, bottle of iodine. Stretch your muscles and walk everyday plus get sunshine 10 minutes per day. Take a good cod liver oil. Get a pet. Swim easily. Plant a small organic veggie garden. Always buy Reverse Osmosis water and stay hydrated. Pray!!

7. Lee
    Winchester, Virginia

I have had bursitis in my hips for many years. I cannot use NSAIDs as I had severe ITP after ten days of using ALEVE plus Zantac in 2003…lost all my platelets. Dry-needle therapy, from my PT, is the best treatment I have found. It is not a quick, miracle cure, but within a few weeks, my pain is relived and walking down steps, sleeping on the affected side, getting out of the car is painless.

When the pain begins, I need a series of treatments, sometimes the treatment lasts a year, sometimes it lasts for 2 years,. I may have a one time “touch-up” if I feel mild discomfort. If you have a good therapist, it is life-changing.

8. Tony
    Thailand

I have been having acupuncture for the last two years. I have back pain, knee pain and neck pain. Acupuncture has relieved nearly 90% of the pain. It does not cure the pain so you have to have it perhaps twice a week to start with for a couple of months and then after that once a week.. It really works but the person doing it must be qualified. Before I used to take a lot of NSAID andthey cause a lot of problems. I take glucosamine 1500 g a day for about six months and it keeps my severe knee problems under control. I take it to 6 months and then six months off and then another six months. I have been doing this for the last 20 years with good effect. by doing this I have aavoided a knee replacement and I’m now 86 years old

9. Elaine B.
    Florida

At one time, I had serious collagenous colitis, which needed treatment. Don’t know exactly what caused it, but my gastro guy told me to use nothing but Tylenol for pain. He said it is the safest drug to take in order to offset GI problems. This was about 15 yrs ago. I have not had any reoccurances, Take nothing but Tylenol for pain, and it works.

10. danielle
    Texas

I recently started using the ActiPatch for pain relief. I found it in Europe and it looks like it will be sold in the US this year. It is nonpharmacologic and a great option for chronic pain. I used it on my lower back and knee pain. After two days, my pain disappeared by 90%. It uses electromagnetic technology.