Woman scratching itchy arm, poison ivy remedy

When warm weather arrives, we start spending more time outside in fields or woods. As a result, we may come home with itchy bites. Chigger bites are especially irritating. A brief blast of hot water can calm the itch for a while. Could a poison ivy remedy also be soothing?

Poison Ivy Remedy Stops Itching:

Q. My favorite remedy for chigger bites is the poison ivy remedy Ivy-Dry. This product stops the maddening itch of the bites.

I live in an RV and can’t carry a lot of extra stuff with me. An RVer friend tried Ivy-Dry for chigger bites and decided he would rather use that than any of the preventives. I apply the liquid version with a cotton swab. I’ve loaned my bottle of Ivy-Dry to fellow RVers and it helps all types of itches.

What Is in This Poison Ivy Remedy?

A. Ivy-Dry contains benzyl alcohol, camphor and menthol. It is marketed as a way to treat the itching of poison ivy and poison oak as well as bug bites.

How It Works:

The skin contains nerve endings that are equipped with transient receptor potential (TRP) channels. These respond to temperature and touch as well as menthol and camphor. By stimulating these TRP channels, you can overwhelm the nerves that are creating the itch sensation.

Preventing Chigger Bites in the First Place:

We still believe prevention is the best approach to chiggers and other biting bugs. Insect repellent with DEET or picaridin is effective.

Some people report that dusting their shoes, socks and pants legs with powdered sulfur (flower of sulfur) keeps the chiggers and ticks away.

1. Wayne
    Indiana

Powdered sulphur on the skin at penitrations in clothing and tight skin to skin contact areas is very effective against chiggers. I used it dayly for years (all summer) with the area dusted depending on my expected exposure and don’t think there is any danger to the user.

2. Sid
    Orangevale, CA 95662

As a youngster I used rubbing alcohol on chigger bites and found it to be quick and effective.

3. Carol
    Bloomsburg

I learned many years ago that showering in very hot water will relieve itchiness for up to several hours. If rash is only on the hands and arms, simply do this under the faucet. The relief has to do with the release of histamine. It does seem counter-intuitive, but actually stimulates your body to action. This practice has helped relieve the maddening itch of poison ivy for me numerous times over the years.

4. abigail

Is sulphur powder safe for use if we are going in and out of our house where we have pets?

5. Laura

Last Summer I ended up with some chigger bites ~ two different times ~ after I had visited a friend in the country. When I noticed the itching and the red spots I applied colloidal silver and never had another itch ~ never! I applied it every day for a while. The spots were with me, but the itch was gone.

6. Terri
    McKinney, Texas

So glad to know about this product that is good for poison ivy as well as big bites and other itches! Thank you for sharing.
    As a child, when I got chigger (red bug) bites, my mom would run a bath and add some liquid bleach (Clorox) (maybe a half cup) to my bath water- it killed the chiggers and stopped the itching!! Always worked and still does! I’ve shared this remedy with lots of friends and family and they tell me it worked for them too!

7. Peter Baillos

This might be something to try if itching continues.

8. Keith
    Nashville

We use antibacterial wipes to calm chigger bites. Just wipe down your legs and thighs after being outside and the chemical in the wipes soothes the itch.

9. Cindy

Vick’s works wonders on bites also. I carry Oil of Oregano in my car as it works great on stings also.

10. Suzanne
    Texas

I live in the country and am in and out of the house maybe a dozen times a day. I add a spray top to a bottle of 70% rubbing alcohol and keep it by the door. Every time I come in the house, I spray my feet (if wearing flip-flops), ankles and legs with the alcohol. The little devils never get a chance to bite and I never have chigger itches. My guess is the alcohol kills on contact.

11. Sara
    Mountain Rest SC

I use Tea Tree Oil for bug bites and poison ivy. Very effective!

12. joyce
    nc

I had a chigger bite once on my ankle. I read to cover the area with fingernail polish. I used clear polish and it stopped the itch instantly. The article said the chigger needed to breath (or something like that) and the polish would stop that ability. I have gotten so much info from you in the many years I have been reading your articles I would have thought that was from you. Anyway, thank you for all your help that you give.