medical marijuana

Americans are changing their attitudes about marijuana. A new Yahoo News and Marist poll of more than 1,000 adults found that two thirds think opioids prescribed by a physician are more dangerous than medical marijuana.

What Did People Think About Medical Marijuana?

The vast majority of the respondents believed that marijuana should be legalized for medicinal purposes. That includes both people who have tried marijuana themselves and those who have never used it. Of the 1,122 people polled, 573 had tried marijuana at least once and 160 reported using it regularly.

Yahoo News/Marist Poll

What Does Medical Marijuana Help?

Researchers are just starting to investigate the potential health benefits of marijuana. Cancer patients find it helpful in overcoming the side effects of chemotherapy. People with multiple sclerosis use cannabis for muscle spasms and neuropathic pain.

1. Beverly
    Cleveland, OH

It should be legalized. It was just consider a crime because it is just too helpful to people. At this point in time it is hard to trust the medical doctors that hardly know anything about nutrition.

Where do we go to be treated gently with patience and a kind heart? Most doctors treat us like numbers. Not entirely their fault. It is called the “bottom line.”

2. Mary Lou
    Texas

Most people I have talked to think it’s way past time to make medical marijuana widely available. Decriminalization of recreational use needs to happen, too.

3. dand e

What can you suggest to replace Creon as pancreas doesnt produce enzymes and close to being a skeleton.

4. fred
    Lakeland Fl

marijuana should be legal thru your Dr.

5. Susan
    Wisconsin

There is a serious pattern of Glaucoma in my family. My father went blind from Glaucoma, his mother went blind from Glaucoma and his paternal grandfather went blind from Glaucoma. For them, there was little that could be done. I have glaucoma. I’ve been on several different drops for more than 20 years. Marijuana has been shown to be effective when these drops fail. I want to be able to tap any possible treatment before I go blind.

6. PattyPR

I am pain medication daily for chronic severe pain. I was hit twice in the legs sixteen years ago by a pickup truck driver who ran a red light. I was in the cosswalk, and the “walk sign was on. I have nerve damage, torn ligaments, torn miniscus, ACL tear. Though I can walk, the pain becomes excruciating. I have been on Norco for years and it just takes the edge off. I want to try medical marijuana, but is is not legal in my state. I even discretely asked around, and the illegal weed for sale in my area is strictly for getting high, something I’m not interested in. I have no record and don’t intend to do anything to create one. I just want effective, safe pain relief at a reasonable cost. I am hoping for legalization in my lifetime, but I am already a senior.

The history of why Marijuana became illegal is quite interesting. Many assume it is Big Pharma’s influence, but there is more to it. Watch on You Tube “The Most Powerful Plant on Earth – The Hemp Conspiracy” by Top5s.

I saw on the news this week that 61%(?) of Americans now advocate legalization. I hope that trend continues.

7. Busy Fingers
    BC

I really think MM has a future in medicine. It works well for pain without the side effects of the usual prescribed meds and /or OTC drugs like Tylenol and no stomach irritation. CBD can be stopped at any time without withdrawal symptoms if taken sensibly. In my opinion its a sensible approach

8. Carole
    FL

I voted for it in 2016 because of it helping some cancers, also I had seen videos of children with seizures that it calmed down within a minute after using it. This was enough to convince me. On the ballot it read “to be used for medical use only”. I have seen lists of diseases it will help. Now FL is one of the states already legal. No side effects like from steroids or other drugs but it’s best to check with your Dr.
    Carole

9. Jim
    Texas

I have tried it baked into cookies. I didn’t eat the whole cookie at one time. I ate a bite and saved the rest. I have Osteo arthritis and 3 herniated discs in my lower back after a short period of time (a half hour or so) I noticed the pain had subsided considerably and lasted for several hours. my concern is if this could become addictive, and would the body accustomed to the marijuana forcing the person to take more.

10. Gerry
    Florida

My problem is the smoke. I can’t stand cigarette smoke and marijuana cigarettes are even worse. I am so allergic. I can smell it even from 2 buildings down in the area where I live.

11. Janet
    Roanoke, VA

I see on the news that people want the weed and I agree with medical use ONLY. Smoking it can damage the lungs even more than tobacco. You never hear about why the Smoking is bad for you.

12. Elaine
    Groton, CT

Marijuana should be legalized – period. Then nobody would have to wonder about medical marijuana.