Stiff painful joints can interfere with activities like gardening, cooking, playing tennis, climbing stairs or walking the dog. While we think of osteoarthritis as a condition that primarily affects older people, it turns out that most people with this condition aren’t yet eligible for Medicare. As many as 30 million people may suffer with this condition.

How Can You Ease Joint Pain?

Many people with arthritis take NSAID medication to ease joint pain. Unfortunately, many discover that the relief is elusive and the side effects are all too real. We will discuss pros and cons of the most common drug treatments.

What are the optimal strategies for treating osteoarthritis? Can nondrug approaches like exercise or a diet with anti-inflammatory foods help ease joint pain?

Arthritis doctor Beth Jonas will be in the studio with us to answer your questions about painful joints. Call in your stories and questions: 888-472-3366 between 7 and 8 am EDT on Saturday, April 22, 2017.

This Week’s Guest:

Beth Jonas, MD, is a rheumatologist with the University of North Carolina’s Thurston Arthritis Research Center in Chapel Hill, an Associate Professor of Medicine, and Director of the UNC Rheumatology Fellowship Training program.

Dr. Jonas’ clinical interests are in the evaluation and management of patients with arthritis, including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, and enteropathic arthritis.  She has a strong interest in medical education and educational scholarship, and is highly involved in teaching rheumatology to learners at all level from undergraduate medical students to rheumatology fellows.

Listen to the Podcast:

Buy the CD

Download the mp3

Learn More:

You’ll find more information about medications for arthritis and nondrug approaches to easing joint pain in our online resource, Alternatives for Arthritis.

Air Date:April 22, 2017

Newsletter Reading List

1. 1Show 1077: Dr. Andrew Weil on Drug-free Alternatives to the Meds You Take
  2. 2Should a Flip Flop on Saturated Fat Freak You Out?
  3. 3Is a Daily Diet Soda Bad for Your Brain?
  4. 4To Think Better, Get Your Exercise!
  5. 5How to Help Exercise Boost Your Brainpower-Drink Beet Juice First
  6. 6Ice on the Face Could Counteract Shock
  7. 7Will a Whiff of Orange Erase Trauma?
  8. 8Alarming Anticholinergic Load Scrambles Brain
  9. 9Overlooked Antibiotic Side Effects Can Destroy Lives
  10. 10Pickle Relish Will Do in a Pinch Against Leg Cramps
  11. 11How Does Vicks on the Feet Calm a Cough?
  12. 12Is There Any Hope for Severe Hair Loss?

1. Joan S.
    Sun City Center FL

I am in my eighties. I’ve had both rheumatoid and osteoarthritis for many years. Aware of the dangers of taking too many Tylenol pills each day I take only two acetaminophen PM tablets and wear arthritis (compression) gloves at night to aid in sleeping.

Using a step machine, I have been exercising every other day for half an hour for five years. This has improved my cartilage-less knees significantly.

2. Paul
    Kannapolis, NC

I am a recent subscriber of the 140K who receive this news letter. Both of you have a willing attitude to “listen” to your guests on your program. Your web page contains a mountain of helpful health information. On Sunday mornings before going to church I send out a FAMILY NEWSLETTER to 57 families, and I plan on forwarding this issue to them in the next few days. THANK YOU. Paul (78)

3. Paul Riley
    75043

This is one of your Greatest Show. Dr. Jonas has more than mastered her subject. Thank you for your sapient questions and sagacity. What do I do for my occasional arthritic joint pain. 1) I do what my wife says. 2) I take contractein (like the cartelage found in sharks). 3) I eat sardines and avoid sugar. 3) I avoid highly processed foods and eat sensibly. 4) I don’t worry about my spelling. 5) I actively learn about being healthy living, including listening to you.

4. Kenneth
    Johnston, SC

Hi, this is Kenny Davis from Johnston, SC and when I have a pain in my leg or arm, not necessarily a pain in my joints, I dissolve an aspirin on the area and the pain goes away in about 5 minutes. Thank you!

5. Tom
    Holmes Beach, Florida

I hear that Emory University (among other med schools) is reporting success with injections of a patient’s own stem cells mixed with their body fat.
    I understand that these (very targeted) injections have been used successfully to regenerate tissue between knee and hip joints and (unless it’s bone-on-bone) can avoid the future need of joint replacements
    What do you know or think about this procedure?

6. Gary
    Martinsville

What about glucosaamine, chondroitin, and msm.

7. Kathleen M. Rose
    Virginia

How about using foods to reduce joint pain? A low-oxalate diet works wonders. Forget the so called healthy spinach & those nightshade veggies.

8. Ann
    Burbank, ca

I have osteo arthritis and every year, once or twice a year my right thumb (severely arthritic shown in an xray) swells up and turns red. I cannot use my right thumb at all because of severe pain, or the 2nd day (small improvement) and by the 3rd day its back to normal. It affects my right knee as well and my body during this flare-up feels lousy too. I take no nsaids, just regular aspirin. Ice or heat does not help the thumb. What can I do about this? Thank you.

9. J. David A
    Springfield, MO, USA

I hope you at least mention prolotherapy – not popular with surgeons. Another way of preventing knee and ankle deterioration would be vastus medialis and peroneal strengthening especially in women.

10. Jim
    Birmingham

“Playing tennis” is an “important activity”?!?!