bottle of beet juice, beet juice cause vertigo, beetroot juice

Is it smart to use every possible means of lowering blood pressure? Sometimes we need that kind of intensive effort. But pulling out all the stops isn’t always necessary. Could drinking beet juice cause vertigo? One reader thinks so.

Beet Juice for Heart Health:

Q. I read that beet juice is good for your health and heart. I have high blood pressure and take losartan and metoprolol to control it. I also had three stents inserted in my arteries almost four years ago.

I started to drink small amounts of beet juice in February. Within two days I had episodes of lightheadedness, vertigo and nausea. That might have been the result of food poisoning, so I held off drinking more beet juice for several weeks.

Three days ago I drank a bit more, and again I had episodes of light-headedness after a couple of hours. Did drinking beet juice cause vertigo and lightheadedness? I’ll be asking my doctor as well when I have my annual physical.

Beet Juice to Lower Blood Pressure:

A. One reason beet juice has such a healthful reputation is that it can make blood vessels more flexible and lower blood pressure (d’El-Rei et al, International Journal of Hypertension, online March 21, 2016). Perhaps adding beet juice to medications like losartan and metoprolol might have lowered your blood pressure too much. Symptoms of hypotension include lightheadedness, dizziness, feeling faint and nausea.

One study demonstrated that a glass of beet juice lowered systolic blood pressure by over 8 points (Kapil et al, Hypertension, Feb. 2015).  That’s as much as some anti-hypertensive medications.

Monitor Your Own Blood Pressure:

We would encourage you to measure your blood pressure at home. If your blood pressure is under good control with the medications you are taking, your doctor may advise you to avoid the additional effect of beet juice.

Join Over 145,000 Subscribers
at The People's Pharmacy

1. Healthier
    Finger Lakes

Some BP medications also lower heart rate in addition to hypertension as part of the treatment of specific heart conditions. Reducing or eliminating your PB meds because beet juice does the job may not be wise w/o first checking with your MD.

2. Martha
    Southport

My doctor, who is viligant about my health, doubled my lisinopril to 40 mg in Dec. In January my blood pressure drpoped to 60/100 and I could hardly walk the dog. She saw me immediatly and changed my meds but has now diagnoised lupus and referred me to a reumatologist. Researching lisonopril’s side effects, I see that 1 to 2% get drug induced lupus. Do I even need to see the rheumatoligist?

3. Mary
    98121

It seems, considering the potential side effects of prescription medicine, that it makes a lot more sense to use beet juice and other natural remedies as long as you are monitoring your blood pressure regularly. I wonder if anyone has studied the results with powdered reconstituted beet juice, which is available and not expensive?

4. Laureen
    Charlotte NC

If Beet juice is lowering your Blood Pressure too much while on medication, to my way of thinking, it makes more sense to wean yourself off of the prescription medications (with your doctor’s guidance), then continue with the beet juice. Sounds like a lot more healthier way to reduce high blood pressure.
    In response to the reply that stated BP meds were cheaper than Beet juice, depends on your health ins.

At my local Walmart a month’s supply of a good quality organic Beet juice at an 8oz glass a day, costs me $24.00 a month. I can’t get cheap $3-$4 meds, so $24 a month is a bargain for me and yes, it has lowered my BP. Still not enough but working on more walking and have found “OMG I can Meditate” app., this does lower BP too. Good luck to all and do your best to get off of prescription BP meds. My belief about them, in the long run, you will be no better off!

5. Anne
    ACT

Why don’t you just add a small piece of fresh beetroot to your morning smoothie? I do and it tastes great. I only take half a very small dose of blood pressure medication per day.

6. William
    Scotland

I found exactly the same thing. I took about a quarter of a cup of it and could hardly stay awake. I do not take any pharmaceuticals.

7. Tony

raw beet juice has lowered my blood sugar considerably. I take 1/2 a glass every morning with 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar. In order to counteract this effect. I have reduced my medication

8. Robert
    60544

Perhaps you have it wrong regarding blaming beet juice for the effects on blood pressure drugs. Perhaps it would be more prudent to blame the pharmaceutical drugs for interfering with the positive effects of the beet juice. One only needs to look at the side effects of the blood pressure drugs and behold, there one would find that the drugs cause many of the side effects that were being experienced.

9. Martha
    NC

Again, drink the darn juice and reduce the medications! Why is no one using any logic? Isn’t it better for the person’s overall well being to use a natural product if available than a prescription medication? Come on, talk to your doctors, research. You are not ignorant. It’s your body.

10. JBG
    IL

“If your blood pressure is under good control with the medications you are taking, your doctor may advise you to avoid the additional effect of beet juice.”

How about continuing the beet juice and reducing the medications?

• Terry Graedon

Also a possibility. Obviously, either way you need to keep track of your blood pressure to make sure it is responding appropriately.

11. caroll
    FORT WORTH, TEXAS

How can I purchase the Blood Pressure brochure using a check. . .mail where?
    Fort Worth, TX

• Terry Graedon

Please send $3 check with a SASE to:

Graedon Enterprises
      B-67
      PO Box 52027
      Durham, NC 27717-2027

12. Cindy

Beet juice has made a big difference to my blood pressure, both systolic and diastolic. I do take Losartan but have been able to stay off a second or third medication by drinking about 6 ounces of fresh beet juice with or shortly after my evening meal. Never on an empty stomach though.

13. Luke
    Florida

Beet juice costs a fortune and I doubt it is that effective. It’s a lot cheaper to take prescriptions. Try weight control, exercise and low salt diet instead.