pills and Canadian Flag, medicine from Canada

The cost of prescription drugs has been skyrocketing. Cancer drugs jumped 18% to nearly $40 billion last year. Drugs for Hepatitis C were over $18 billion. Prescription drug prices are far outstripping inflation.

According to Time Magazine (May 30, 2016):

“U.S. spending on medicines is forecast to reach $610 to $640 billion in 2020 before rebates. That’s more than the U.S. military budget.”

Many people have seen their prescription drug costs rise astronomically. Even when people have insurance, their co-pays have busted budgets. In many cases insurance companies force people to take generic drugs which are often made in countries like India, China, Slovakia, Hungary, Brazil or Thailand. In recent years there have been dozens of reports of fraud, mismanagement and poor quality control from foreign generic drug manufacturers. That is why some people are looking for alternatives like Harry from Madison, WI:

Q. How can I find reliable Canadian online pharmacies? I have a really expensive drug that my Part D does not cover. Thanks for your help!

A. Let’s start with the reality that buying prescription drugs online from Canada is technically illegal. The FDA has made it clear that it does not like this idea one little bit.

Fortunately, the feds realize that if they arrested grandmas and grandpas for buying heart medicine from Canada they would create a firestorm of controversy. As a result, millions of U.S. citizens have been buying medicines from Canada safely for years. But how can people find reliable Canadian online pharmacies? There are fraudsters galore on the Internet!

Readers Recognize Hypocrisy:

Visitors to this website note that the pharmaceutical industry has been working hard to prevent U.S. citizens from importing personal drugs from Canada. The FDA is equally adamant that this is a dangerous practice. At the same time, most of our generic drugs (and many of our brand name medicines) are made in countries where there has been inadequate oversight.

Here are some comments from visitors:

Richard in Sarasota, Florida says:

“Big Pharma says that importing drugs from Canada is unsafe. What hypocrisy when U.S. drug companies are manufacturing drugs with ingredients from admittedly suspect foreign sources and charging prices for them as much as eight times more than drugs from Canada.”

Penelope adds this about the oversight of the U.S. drug supply:

“All the hype about the supposed unreliability of Canadian pharmacies strikes me as the height of hypocrisy; especially when the Canadian supply chain is much more closely monitored! We may be facing another Bopal, Chernobyl, or Gulf Oil disaster with the drugs coming in from overseas.”

How to Find Reliable Canadian Online Pharmacies:

First, realize that just because a website says its Canadian does not mean it’s true. There are a lot of rogue websites that masquerade as Canadian. That’s why it is worthwhile to use services like CIPA (Canadian International Pharmacy Association) or PharmacyChecker.com. They can help verify if online Canadian pharmacies are legit.

Authorized Generics:

We have just revised our Guide to Saving Money on Medicines. Not only does this 20-page downloadable guide list several verified Canadian pharmacies but it will give you insights on “authorized generics.” These are generic drugs that are licensed or made by the original brand name manufacture. Sometimes they are made on the same production line.

Most physicians, pharmacists and patients have never heard about authorized generics, but we think this represents an option to access lower-cost generic drugs that should be identical to their brand-name counterparts. The FDA seems reluctant to provide practical information about authorized generics, perhaps because it might undermine the public’s confidence in “regular” generic drugs. We think you deserve more information about this secret source of generic medicine.

We hope you find our updated guide helpful for getting quality medications at a fair price. We include our “10 TIPS FOR SAVING MONEY ON MEDICINE” that should make a significant difference to your bottom line.

Please let us know what you think by rating this 20-page guide after downloading it.

Share your own story about reliable Canadian online pharmacies in the comment section below.

Join Over 145,000 Subscribers
at The People's Pharmacy

1. Barbara M.
    TN

I am in need of a quote on Latuda-20mg or 40mg. I would consider a 100 per prescription. I
    need help because US prices are way above my budget.

2. HelenM
    Modesto

I have also purchased drugs from Canadian pharmacies in the past. When my insurance did not cover Celexa, I discovered that a generic was available from Canada. A couple of years ago, as I was choosing which Medicare Advantage would give me the best coverage for my many prescriptions, I also decided to look up Lyrica from Canada and found it is available there in the generic.

What a rip-off we suffer from Big Pharma: Pfizer went to court when Lyrica’s patent was going to expire in 2012 and asked for an extension because some of the profit from the med went to a university. And they got it, now due to expire at the end of next year. Between the insane price on this and insulin, I went into the donut hole in March of this year; earliest yet. In 2010, around Nov, I went into the donut hole and had to pay cash price for my Lyrica, around $400, now would be over $1000. My 43% of the negotiated price last month was almost $440. And I will have to do this once again. If I buy insulin, the cost per vial could be as high as $200. I think I will research buying it from Canada.

• Terry Graedon

We don’t recommend buying from Canada when you are in the doughnut hole because those expenditures don’t count towards getting you out of the hole.

3. Marlene
    Madison, WI

I have been using Canada Drugs Online for many years, ever since the generic of an antidepressant I take was found to have been misformulated. This has made me suspicious of all generics. The non-generic form is terribly expensive in the U.S. but affordable from this online Canadian pharmacy. I have nothing but good to say about my experience with this pharmacy.

4. Gerry
    Georgia

I have bought Zyrtec from Canada Pharmacy.com for many years. It was originally a prescription drug but is now OTC, however because I take it every day it is worth buying from Canada. I have bought rx drugs from Canada because I am not enrolled in a drug program. The only drugs I take are allergy meds, and they are inexpensive whether from Walmart or Canada. You can also save on your pet meds.

5. Sue

Thank you for finally covering Canadian pharmacies. I have been ordering from them for 10 years. The US pharmaceutical industry is totally a ripoff. If anyone wants to contact me, I will give you the names of the two from whom I order the most often.

• Deborah
      Albuquerque, NM

Sue: Would you please send me your info for websites. Thank you

• Mary
      Indiana

I would like to try ordering a very expensive drug I take from Canada to see if the price is indeed lower than what I pay at Costco. Kindly send me the web site that you are using. Also, how do you handle the price when paying via American currency, or do you use a credit card?

6. Beverly
    WI

My parents bought their prescriptions from Canada for years and paid about 1/3 of the U.S. price. The drugs they purchased had been manufactured by well-known companies in the United Kingdom.