bee hive steward

You may not think of bees as domestic animals, but any beekeeper would set you straight. Bees range far and wide when they forage for nectar and pollen, but they return home to the bee hive. Products of the hive have long been used for healing.

Healing with Products of the Bee Hive:

We get updates on bee venom therapy, also known as apipuncture. We hear how bee stings can be used to ease the hard-to-treat pain of post-herpetic neuralgia.

Our guest experts also describe how to use other products of the bee hive such as honey, propolis and royal jelly from the complementary perspectives of a physician and a beekeeper.

This Week’s Guests:

Andrew Kochan, MD, practices physical medicine, rehabilitation and prolotherapy in Los Angeles. He is director of the Institute for Healing Arts Research and past president of the American Apitherapy Society. Dr. Kochan is on the board of directors for both the American Apitherapy Society and the American Association of Orthopedic Medicine. He is on staff at Northridge Hospital Medical Center and has been practicing prolotherapy for 30 years and apitherapy for 25 years.

Lady Spirit Moon Cerelli is a certified beekeeper, NC, MH, and a certified apitherapist. She is president of the BEe Healing Guild. Lady owns and operates BEe Healing Apiary in Spring Creek near Hot Springs, NC. Raising resistant stock bees, she is an 8-year no-treatment beekeeper. The photograph is of Lady Cerelli.

BEe Healing is sponsoring a project in Senegal, Africa. The BEe Healing Guild, a non-profit, is also sponsoring the Gathering for the mind, body, spirit for sake of the honeybee, human, and Mother Earth, taking place on September 10 & 11, 2016. Information can be found on http://www.beehealing.buzz/.

Listen to the Podcast:

Buy the CD

Download the mp3

Air Date:April 16, 2016

1. Clare
    Texas

I had a swollen knee that I thought came from pushing my stiff knee in a yoga class. It swelled. When I went to doctor, since I was going to a trade show in Vegas and needed to walk long distances. They said I had arthritis, drained the knee, and gave me a shot of Cortisone and said I would be back in three months when it wore off.

It was better after cortisone and draining but after about three and one half months it was definitely getting worse, and I had quit my walking 2miles three times a week.
    Then I was watering and backed into a yellow jacket nest and slapped the back of my arm, not realizing what had happened and five yellow jackets had stung me. I didn’t take antihistamine because I needed to drive into town, 45 minutes away that day.

The next morning I woke up, got out of bed, and my knee was 70% better. Over the next couple months it got better and better. That was 11 months ago, and it doesn’t hurt at all now . It is just amazing!!!

2. Helena
    Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada

In reading about bee sting therapy and the relief of shingles pain. I wondered if it has been used for nerve pain as a result of Lyme Disease.

3. Viki
    Mooresville. NC

My grandfather was a hard working farmer and over used all parts of his body. He was diagnosed with bursitis (I think it may have been a rotator cuff tear). Anyway, He would get a honeybee to sting him for pain relief. He would sometimes use the electric fence and shock his shoulder. He kept doing it so it had to have helped.

4. ariel
    USA

i use honey for.. 1. put honey on a band aid and place on a pimple the next morning the spot is amazingly better. 2 i put honey and band aid on insect bites it relieves inflamation, redness,and stinging at least i like to use honey for these things.

5. Dwight
    Two Rivers, WI

Awesome!

6. Lady Spirit Moon
    Spring Creek

Any time you use a product from a beehive, use caution, even if there is a warning on the label. Every product that is made from something from the beehive will have components that may create adverse health affects. This is why I suggest that folks take 1 grain (pellet size) of pollen under the tongue before chewing, then gradually increase the number of grains (pellets) until they reach 1 teaspoon or tablespoon a day.

7. Lauren
    California

Just a note from my personal experience: Years ago I took Royal Jelly as a supplement and quickly developed severe itchiness, redness and generalised swelling and difficulty in breathing. I rushed to the doctor and received a shot of adrenaline to prevent anaphylactic shock.
    I never before had had a reaction to bee stings or other bee products. It has always amazed me that there was no warning on the label of this health store product.

• Maggie
      Vancouver Island, BC

I had the same experience. Very scary & I had no idea that Royal Jelly could cause such an extreme reaction, thankfully I had some Benadryl in the cupboard & thought to take it!! There was no warning on the label., I lived out of town on my farm at the time & I am so grateful I had that Benadryl available because it saved me from a very serious event. Hopefully this product has a warning now…My breathing was so shallow & heavy & I was home alone at the time. It needs to have a ‘warning’ clearly in place!!