cut papaya

Popular heartburn medicines called proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) can be great for alleviating symptoms. If a person decides it is time to stop taking one of these PPIs, however, the withdrawal can trigger rebound acidity. The resulting heartburn may be very difficult to manage, and some people find it next to impossible to discontinue a PPI. This reader reports that papaya enzymes made a big difference in this effort.

Getting Off Prilosec:

Q. I recently went off Prilosec after reading that such heartburn drugs can weaken bones and increase the risk for dementia. To ease the resulting reflux, I drank apple cider vinegar tea with a little honey after meals.

This worked wonders for a few weeks. I still had occasional heartburn and chewed an antacid a few times a day.

Papaya Enzyme Tablets:

My daughter gave me a bottle of papaya chewable tabs and I eat three each day. I’ve not had a bout of heartburn since.

After years of being on Prilosec, I’m happy to say I’ve been off it for three months and am almost completely heartburn free. I don’t need the apple cider tea, and I’ve also dropped 10 pounds since I’ve been serving myself smaller portions to avoid overeating.

A. Stopping acid-suppressing drugs like esomeprazole (Nexium), lansoprazole (Prevacid) or omeprazole (Prilosec) can be challenging because of rebound hyperacidity. The resulting reflux symptoms are often painful and long lasting.

Papaya enzymes have a reputation for aiding digestion, but there has been little research on this approach. The same could be said of apple cider vinegar for heartburn.

Although many readers affirm that both approaches are helpful, we do not have solid scientific evidence to support these remedies. One product, GutsyGum, contains the antacid calcium carbonate plus licorice extract, papain (papaya enzyme) and apple cider vinegar. In one small study, GutsyGum eased heartburn symptoms better than placebo gum (Journal of Dietary Supplements, June, 2015).

Join Over 145,000 Subscribers
at The People's Pharmacy

1. Nancy Kimberlain
    Spartanburg, SC

Thank you, thank you for the papaya enzyme recommendation. I have been taking omeprazole for about 20 years and when I tried to stop, always had to go back to the medicine.

I take 4 papaya enzyme tables and have started eating papaya fruit. Can you take more than 4 of the tablets per day? I feel a lot better and am happy to have something to help me get off the omeprazole. Too many bad effects with these medicines.

Check our Voltaren tablets and write about it. I read where this may be something for cancer. I have had breast cancer and my doctor told me not to take the voltaren tablets as they were to hard on your stomach and he did not want me to take them with my cancer meds. I enjoy reading your reports each week. Thank
    you again.

2. KT
    NW

After years of intense heartburn, and upper endoscopy that showed acid damage, and a prescribed regimen of Nexium (twice a day) I read about the damage caused by being on Nexium.

Originally, a gastro. Dr. told me I may need to be on Nexium for life. Five years later, my general Dr. warned me its side effects and urged me to get off of it, but said it would be very difficult to stop.I tried licorice tablets & tums, avoided coffee & alcohol & spicy foods – but none of this helped much.

I read about papaya enzymes (here) and bought some tablets. About 8 months ago I started this regime that has worked!!!

1 – Never eat until you’re stuffed
    2 – Gradually wean off of Nexium : From 2/day to 1/day to 1/every other day to 1/every 3rd day to 1 every 4th day, etc. This step takes months
    3 – While weaning off of Nexium, take one licorice tablet in the morning and a papaya enzyme tablet after dinner (do not exceed recommended doses, but if allowed, take papaya enzymes after any large meal)
    4 – Take Tums (or similar product) on occasion if needed.
    5 – After 8 months, I am completely off Nexium, with no pain throughout the weaning process. I continue to take papaya enzyme tablets. They work!!!

3. Barbara
    Florida

This Gutsy Gum sounds great. But where can I buy It? Barbara

4. Ralph
    Wisconsin

I’m curious how apple cider vinegar which I seem to remember is an acid aids in gastric reflux. Does anyone know the science here?

5. MARIE
    No Carolina

Recently I stopped taking Omeprozole because I thought it was causing a monthly loose bowel session. I found that was the cause and have not had a loose bowel since. I am going to try the Papaya for help with my occasional heartburn. I was taking the Omeprazole for many years and never realized it caused the bowel reaction

6. Chris

Is there any problem with taking papaya enzymes and heart meds?

• Terry Graedon

We are not aware of any problem with this combination.

7. Thomas
    Portland, Oregon

I began decreasing the bothersome heartburn by reducing the Prilosec pills (taken for years) to one tablet every other day, then to one tablet every other two days. At the same time I minimized the amount of daily coffee (from fresh ground beans) I consumed each day, I added fresh buttermilk to my diet, and an occasional helping of sauerkraut and lastly prepared a small bowl of low fat, plain yogurt with fresh berries for breakfast. The addition of the probiotics made an amazing difference. I now longer have heart burn. Best of luck, it worked for me.

8. fran
    virginia

I started using almonds for heartburn when I stopped nexium. I had found the recommendation on an IBS newsletter I receive. I just eat a few and it actually works!

9. Diane

Chewing gum helps my heartburn but the gum one buys today is almost all chemicals and I’m not sure where to find some without any flavoring. The point of chewing gun is the increased saliva one swallows, so perhaps someone can come up with another answer.

• Sue

Try Glee Gum. You can buy it online unflavored.

10. danindenver
    Denver, CO

I suffered from chronic heartburn for decades. As I got older, I knew something was wrong, but didn’t know what. I perceived that I was overdosing on soda pop and one day, in a fit of obstinance, I stopped drinking Pepsi for about 3 years. Then my family discovered the low-carb diet fad. I tried it during a family vacation. By the end of my vacation, I noticed that I no longer had symptoms of indigestion. I threw away the balance of my bulk purchase of Pepcid AC and I rarely ever feel the need for it.

Today, I don’t abstain from sugar, but I’ve cut out pretty much all rice, potatoes, pasta, and Italian food, in general. I rarely have soda pop.

Living in Colorado, I eat lots of jalapenoes. I don’t know why doctors think chilies cause heartburn. It doesn’t for me. And I have mostly decaf coffee – lots of it.

If I feel that I’m overloading on carbs, I eat an apple and I’m fine.

I like carbs, but they don’t like me.

11. SGH

I’m in the process of tapering off Prilosec. It was my Dr.’s idea! Thank you for printing all the helpful ideas in this and other articles re getting off of PPI’s.

12. William
    Comano Island WA.

Three Ounces of Carrot juice after a big meal will take care of the rebound acidity! Even processed juice works. If you can’t get the luice eat a small whole carrot.

13. Rzzycat
    Texas

I got off PPIs with Betaine HCl with Pepsin. It took a while to do so. I learned that thyroid disease can make it seem like you have too much acid when in fact you have low stomach acid. I am much happier without taking these drugs and feel like I am getting more nutrition out of what I eat. I barely need to use the Betaine now, there is very little reflux and if there is, just a little ACV with some apple juice and it’s all good.

14. Kathryn
    Florida

I finally got off Prilosec after 20 years. I had tried previously but was not successful until after suffering another fracture decided I had to get off it. Dr. Michael Greger’s nutritionfacts.org supplied the answer – dehydrated strawberries. They also help heal Barrett’s esophagus. They worked so well that I make a strawberry tincture which I take every day now. I also have a papaya tree which has been fruiting often this winter, so that may have helped also. I am so glad be done with the Prilosec after all these years.

15. Kat
    Florida

I keep candied ginger on hand in case I get indigestion. I find chewing a piece or two (about the size of a quarter) usually does the trick. Or good old baking soda in water also helps. Doesn’t taste the best, but also helps. Of course, not overeating is the first defense against indigestion. I also take a good probiotic daily, which has also helped with a flatulance problem I was having.

16. Doris
    North Carolina

Four to five months ago I started to get acid reflux every day. First stopped drinking coffee and that helped a lot. Then started taking Tums and that also helped somewhat. Never took any PPIs. Then began taking papaya chewable tablets. The acid reflux now is only occasional. Whenever it does rear it’s ugly head, I chew on the papaya tablets and they solve the problem.

17. Luis

Papaya is incredibly easy to grow. The tree will not get large; you can plant them sort of close together (you need a male and female plant close for them to bear fruit)–and is practically self caring. In about two years after planting seeds, you will have a plentiful supply of yummy fruit.

• Bob
      South Carolina

How do you tell the difference between a male and female papaya seed? Will it grow in the south east region of the U.S.?

18. Steve
    Right Coast, US

Vinegar (any kind) is the cure for reflux. I got off PPIs 10 years ago and I’m 99.9% cured of my reflux. I did a fairly complete comment about it a year or two ago on this site, below another article. I’ll try to find it and link / repost.

19. Conie

I find Calcium carbonate to be very constipating.

• Carrie

I tried the vinegar cure and ended up in the ER with the worst heartburn ever. My doctor said: “Do I have to show you again how much acid erosion there was in your esophagus when you had your endoscopy last month? Vinegar is pure acetic acid. What were you thinking?”

I had to stop taking Nexium because it caused a serious heart arrhythmia after about five or six year. I taper off using papaya tablets and still use them, That plus avoiding my food triggers for heartburn works very well for me. But vinegar…not so much.

• Steve
        Right Coast, USA

You could have fixed that situation with some antacid, which would have been faster and cheaper than a trip to the ER. I never had a heartburn problem, just reflux.