Author, The Ghost in My Brain

Head injuries are all too common, affecting millions of Americans every year. They can result in brain injury if the brain gets jostled inside the skull. This can be a problem even if the incident did not result in a loss of consciousness (a “blackout”). Around 5,000 people daily experience a concussion as a result of head injury.

How Can You Tell If a Bump on the Head Caused Lasting Damage?

Sometimes it can be hard to assess the impact of such an accident, whether it was due to slipping on the ice or getting rear-ended in a car. The standard medical tools don’t always reveal the true extent and nature of a head injury. If people continue to have difficulties with balance or cognitive tasks long after such an event, conventional medical wisdom holds that they just have to learn to adapt to their deficits. But what if that dogma is mistaken? Is there anything that can be done to help a person overcome impairment due to brain injury many years later?

Dr. Clark Elliott tells about his amazing experience of recovering from a severe concussion from which he had sustained apparently permanent damage. Learn what approaches helped him overcome the severe impairment he had suffered for many years, and listen to the therapists who made such a difference in his life.

This Week’s Guests:

Clark Elliott, PhD, is professor of artificial intelligence at DePaul University in Chicago, IL. He is the author of The Ghost in My Brain: How a Concussion Stole My Life and How the New Science of Brain Plasticity Helped Me Get It Back. His website is clarkelliott.com.

Donalee Markus, PhD, is a specialist in neuro-cognitive restructuring who practices clinically applied neuroscience. She creates instruments that maximize intelligence and catalyze creativity using clinically applied neuroscience. Her website is designsforstrongminds.com

Deborah Zelinsky, OD, FNORA, FCOVD (Optometric Doctor, Fellow of the Neuro-Optometric Rehabilitation Association, Fellow of the College of Visual Development), is a neuro-optometrist who specializes in bridging the gap between neuroscience research and eye care. To find a practitioner of neuro-optometry, consult the website: https://noravisionrehab.com/

Other websites of interest: The Society for Neuroscience (sfn.org)

And the Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics (https://www.worldbrainmapping.org)

Listen to the Podcast:

Buy the CD

Download the mp3

Air Date:November 7, 2015

1. Sue
    GSO nc

was wondering if the EMDR therapy would be connected in any way to the treatment?

2. bob
    usa

I listened to today’s guest and gave a nervous laugh at the fact that i share many of his symptoms and of those with head injuries for many years now. I wondered if a brain infection could also cause such symptoms? What about the effectiveness of the therapies on people with PTSD who have executive functioning issues, but are otherwise “normal”? I “lost” my executive functioning approximately 7-8 years ago,(hindsight) becoming unable to complete Algebra formulas(“A” to Failing student in 3 months after 2 years of high performance return to school) and had a mild heart attack(stress induced, no definitive cause or physical damage) and 6 months later an aneurism/embolism(something “popped” inside my skull/sinuses and there was internal bleeding) associated with a severe sinus/dental infection that was near my brain with extensive necrotic tissue, several micro surgeries to remove/correct followed by months of physical healing/rehab, and the psychological/cognitive continues daily. The infection was undetected but present for many months prior. This coincided with a traumatic physical attack on me by a person with a gun that altered my life considerably.

Daily struggle to function cognitively, brain seems constantly overwhelmed with tasks once regular and basic. Too much light and sound at the wrong times can completely short circuit my perception to the point of vertigo; also certain geometric configurations of environment, doorways and peripheral vision stimulus. Driving now takes my FULL attention, rain on the glass is very confusinng. Additional Repetitive example: I have 7 keys on a keyring for locks I have used thousands of times, each key is very unique relative to the others, which I had to do purposely to sort them. I will often stare transfixed for several seconds at a door or lock completely baffled at what to do with these “things” in my hand that I know I should know. Feel like my brain does not have enough RAM, and like I am watching someone else fumbling around for their keys. Have to put keys away, close my eyes or look away, and “try again” sometimes to figure out what to do and which one to use. Very frustrating, and a bit frightening. Brain easily overworked and can take several days of rest to recover after using it for long periods of time for work and even studying, reading, or other stimulus once easily done. Computers and televisions are intolerable most of the time, way too much stimulus!! Mental retention is horrible, I forget the morning by afternoon sometimes, and if reminded, it literally seems like months or years in the past.

I do home remodeling/renovation, and the linear aspect of that trade is absolutely mind-blowing at times. Just trying to figure out the next step in a process done many times before is like trying to do a mathematical formula. The actual work is easy once my brain figures out which tool to use, as a box filled with tools can shut it down trying to figure out what a screwdriver is. Often have 3 or 4 projects going at once, as I “forgot” I was working on the others. More issues early in the day, less at night. I am a person with above average intelligence who once made a good living doing money market trading, which my mind no longer comprehends completely so I stopped trading.

Some days I am totally fine. Otherwise mostly healthy, bit arthritic for my age, no drug, plenty sleep, eat healthy, exercise/relax regularly, 44yo white male who no one suspects can’t figure out how to start his car sometimes(often). I have severely isolated myself socially in the last 5 years, as this “condition” is embarrassing, and people make terrible assumptions about you. Any thoughts appreciated.

3. frank
    corning, ny

Very informative and helpful to me since I’ve done some research on football and brain damage, wrote a letter to the editor about it, have given a couple of talks on the topic, and have bugged the local school district to take this issue more seriously.

• Wes
      Charlotte

WOW I am with you; couldn’t have said it better!!

4. Arlean
    Blacksburg, va

I just listened to your show and would like to know if there is any help for people who have suffered brain injury from stroke and aneurysm as your guests talked about concussion. My sister survived two aneurysm operations 3 years ago at the UVa. hospital in Charlottesville h, one year later she had 2 strokes. She had no lasting physical problems which was amazing, but now she is plagued with depression which has changed her life and personality dramatically. Do you know if there is any help?
    Thanks so much for your weekly program. My Sat. morning revolves around your NPR 7 am program which is always so well done and stimulating.

• Julie A. Reynolds, PhD

As a result of listening to this show, I am now in vision therapy to resolve symptoms from a concussion I suffered 2 years ago. I met another patient at my neuro-optometrist’s office who has the same symptoms I have, but she suffered a series of strokes. I think it is definitely worth it for stroke patients to look into neuro-optometry as one possible treatment

5. Maggy Krahe
    Raleigh,nc

This program was excellent. My 20 year old son still has issues from football concussions when he was in high school. I also would like to ask, as a 1 year breast cancer survivor, can these strategies help my chemo brain? Thank you.

6. Lolo
    raleigh

I suffered a severe head injury when I was 16, I am 56 now. I have ADD that inhibits me from doing a lot of things I would really like to do.

Any suggestions?