The Castor bean (Ricinus communis) has been used for thousands of years for an amazing number of maladies. The seeds are also a source of ricin, one of the most toxic chemicals known to man. Fortunately, the oil does not contain ricin so it can be used safely. You will be amazed at the versatility of castor oil.

Q. Castor oil completely eliminated a wart that I had tried to get rid of for twenty years. It did not even leave a scar.

I applied the oil on the wart after showering and at bedtime and covered it with a bandage. I kept this up until the wart was gone, maybe two months.

A. Castor oil has a very long history as a medicine, going back to the ancient Egyptians. It’s been used as a wart remedy for decades, if not centuries.

Soreness & Bruising

The ricinoleic acid in castor oil has anti-inflammatory activity. People often apply it to overworked muscles to ease soreness. Some people use it to prevent bruises by applying it to the skin immediately after being bumped or struck.

Treating Scars

Occasionally we hear from someone who has used castor oil on a scar. This person was enthusiastic:

“I had an operation a few years ago that left a 7 inch scar that felt like a shoelace under my skin. I used castor oil on it unfaithfully, several times a day when I would remember, or sometimes not at all.

“One day I noticed my scar was peeling. Now it feels thinner. It’s about half the size it was, after a month of haphazard use.”

We caution that some people may react badly to castor oil on the skin, developing a rash. It makes sense to test it on a small spot before applying it to a large area.

The Bottom Line on Castor Oil

There are few natural remedies with such a diverse track record as this ancient oil.

Share your own experience with castor oil below in the “ADD MY THOUGHTS” section below and please vote on this article at the top of the page.

1. Alan
    Plainfield, In

I had two warts on my face, one was small and went away in less than two weeks. The second one took longer but eventually went away. The secret seems to be contact time. The longer you can keep the castor oil on it,the better it works.

2. Marge
    Wisconsin

Have been using Castor Oil on my face and eyes for Rosacea for several months. It is definitely helping my eyes & the facial irritation is better but not completely resolved. I also use Tea Tree Oil in the mix I put on my face (but not my eyes).

3. Mark
    Liverpool, NY

Will castor oil help psoriasis on the elbows ?

4. Jo
    Dallas

I have had adult acne (for years) due to leaky gut. We have found that castor oil mixed with tee tree oil helps. We alternate with Greek yogurt (no sugar), manuka honey and cinnamon Even though I continue to have digestive issues, I no longer experience any skin issues or itching. I have tried most over the counter and home remedies and the aforementioned worked the best.

5. Jessica

I used it for styes in my eyes and it worked like a charm.

Also, I use to have severe dry eye syndrome caused by Lasix surgery. Went on for 6 years. I tried everything and nothing worked. Read about using castor oil. Placed it in my eyes. Within a month my eyes felt better and now they are completely normal. I don’t know if it was the castor oil, but I had literally tried everything for so long. My eyes were in pain often when I tried to sleep. For years. I really think it was the castor oil that did the trick.

6. Jeri
    United States

I used castor oil on a wart that developed at the hairline near my temple. I rubbed it on the wart 3 to 5 times a day. The wart started crumbling away after about a week until it was completely gone.

• Deanna
      75949

My dermatologist told me several times to be sure not to get it in my eyes

7. Pat
    Omaha, NE

Castor oil helps me with itchy skin when nothing else helped. I cannot get a diagnosis from a doctor as to why my arms itch every summer through the fall, and thru research, I think it’s the sun. Anyway, nothing helps but castor oil, I put it on after I shower.

I also used it one time when I had very rough heels, I put it on at night and then put on socks before I went to bed. It cured them in a month and it’s been 2 years since I had that problem, it has not returned.

I learned about castor oil from reading books by Edgar Cayce, he told of hundreds of uses for it.

8. Jennifer
    Texas

Decades ago I was traveling with a girlfriend in the then Yugoslavia. While swimming in the ocean she stepped on a sea urchin or something other creature that left painful “dots” in her heel. She wanted me to remove them with a needle. I don’t recall how our plight came to a local’s attention, but somehow …. in spite of the language barrier …. castor oil was recommended. We were told to apply it topically, which we found very strange since we’d seen how the characters in Our Gang movies were given castor oil orally. But we followed the suggestion and the little dots went away. I remembered that about castor oil ever since.

9. Rick Matz
    Springfield, MO

Dr. Norm Shealy in Springfield, MO who operated a holistic clinic for years advocates the use of “castor oil packs”, especially for abdominal pain/distress.

Wet a cloth with castor oil.
    Lay down and cover the abdomen with the cloth.
    Put a layer of food wrap type clear film over the cloth to protect your heating pad.
    Lay the heating pad, turned to low, over the pack and leave on for 30 minutes or so.

I don’t know how or why this process works but I have experienced audible bowel sounds and a sensation of relaxation/movement in the bowels with a reduction in abdominal distress using this method. I have tried using the heating pad alone and not had the same results.

The castor oil is thick and sticky and will not wash completely out of the cloth so use a cloth you can through away. Put a towel under you to protect you bed clothes if any runs down.

10. hanna
    florida

Castor oil mixed with good quality baking soda shortens the time to get rid off of skin growths. Often to two weeks.

11. Jean C

It is also good for toenail fungus. Getting rid of it but takes time and using it every day.

12. Trish
    Florida

Good ol’ milk weed plant “milk” does the trick! Break the stem and the white milk that you see is what you apply to the wart. Put it on three-four times a day and within a week’s time it will be gone!