cherries, powdered cherries

Joint pain, especially knee pain, can really interfere with mobility, not to mention quality of life. Little wonder, then, that people avidly seek out remedies for knee pain. One reader found success with an unusual combination.

Gelatin to Strengthen Nails?

Q. I am 55 years old and suffer from arthritis in my knees. One day I decided to try some unflavored gelatin with tart cherry juice because my nails were not growing as well as they used to, and gelatin is said to help with that. Tart cherry juice is supposed to act as an anti-inflammatory compound.

Much to my surprise, the pain in my knees subsided substantially within a week! I had tried OTC pain relievers before to no avail.

I now swear by this gelatin mixture I drink every morning. I find that if I miss my morning concoction of remedies for knee pain, I feel pain before that day ends. Drinking it helps me so much that I go to the gym more often and have much relief from both the gelatin and the exercise. (My nails are no better, though.)

A. We love your story! Anything that helps people exercise is worth a try.

Combining Remedies for Knee Pain:

Tart Cherry Juice:

Many readers report that tart cherry juice can help alleviate the discomfort of gout or arthritis. In fact, there is research demonstrating that tart cherries are effective at relieving arthritic knee pain (Schumacher et al, Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, Aug. 2013). You can learn more about tart cherries, cherry juice and other remedies for knee pain by listening to our podcast, Show 1079: What Is the Science Behind Fabulous Foods for Health?

Unflavored Gelatin:

Other readers agree that unflavored gelatin can help ease sore joints like your knee pain. There has been relatively little research on this (or other home remedies for knee pain). One study we found sounds promising, although it is inconclusive (Kumar et al, Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, March 15, 2015).

You are the first we have heard from who has combined these two remedies for knee pain. We are sending you our Guide to Alternatives for Arthritis, with details on these and other natural approaches for joint pain.

Try MSM for Double Duty?

As for the nails, we have heard from some people that MSM supplements may be helpful. We haven’t seen studies, but it might be worth a try. MSM might also help ease arthritic joints.

Revised 5/15/2017

1. Martha

Buy tart cherry juice concentrate through one of the on-line vitamin houses such as Swansons.
    Much cheaper and goes a lot farther.

2. Joyce Slick
    94903

I have been adding 2 Tablespoons of Certo to 5-6 oz of grape juice for arthritis daily and I believe it helps. courtesy of Peoples Pharmacy.

3. Alexander

It is Interesting, but could you please provide recipe? How many gelatin and juice.

4. William F. Wallace
    brandon ms

I went to three orthopedists before my chiropractor diagnosed my knee pain correctly: it turned out to be an IT band problem, the only remedy for which is stretching and maybe massage. I bought one of those rollers you will find if you Google IT band and it really helps, but by asking around I found that it didn’t cure the problem so you can’t quit using it.

5. Diane
    Upstate NY

We’ve been combining tart cherry juice and gelatin for years to help with my knee arthititis and my husband’s hand arthritis. We sometimes add selzer water to the tart cherry juice to help cut the high sugar content- very delicious- but don’t plan on adding gelatin to this- very foamy! For other ways of incorporating gelatin, I find that putting gelatin in non-dairy yogurts also works well (these yogurts tend to be more “runny” than regular dairy yogurts). My husband often puts gelatin right into his hot, black coffee. I have severe (bone on bone) arthritis in both knees but still stay very active. I think that the tart cherry juice and gelatin use is part of my success story.

6. Delores

I have been drinking the acv with cherry juice. The recipe is to put 2 packs of Knox gelatin in 1/4 cup of water then pour it into 1 cup of cherry juice. The only thing that you will taste is the cherry juice.

7. TK

Trader Joe’s has the tart cherry juice at a very affordable price…and it’s the real thing!

8. Carla

How much cherry juice and gelatin is needed?

9. Mary

I would like the recipe for the gelatin and cherry juice mixture.

10. MARY M.

what is the recipe for tart cheery juice and gelatin. my nails are bad from statins, would this help?

11. John C

This is a follow-up to my 9Feb. post and request from PP’s for results. My wife mixed two oz. of Very Cherre Old Orchard brand tart cherry juice w/half a pkt. of Knox unflavored Gelatine, stirred, not heated and drank that mix, twice daily from 9Feb. to this date. She has had a positive result from this mix in the last 18 days; reduced from ‘some’ to ‘no’ joint pain from surgery in May ’13, to repair two broken knee caps.
    In fairness, time/healing could have been the predominant factor(s), but she believes that the tart cherry juice/gelatine mix has been a positive factor in relieving pain. jc

12. MAK

I would like the recipe for the unflavored gelatin mixed with tart cherry juice. Thank you.

13. Rita B.

Like others I would like to know the recipe for the tart cherry juice mixed w/gelatin.

14. Maggie B.

I am dying to try this glycerin and tart cherry remedy for knee pain — but how much of each? Please share the “recipe” for this remedy!

15. CC

ACMags – no need to be disparaging. The info about tart cherry juice and gelatin was submitted by a reader, and People’s Pharmacy quite clearly states above that they don’t know the precise amounts. They do, however, offer a recommendation, and if you read the responses above you’ll find it.