Antidepressant drugs like fluoxetine (Prozac) or citalopram (Celexa) are widely prescribed, but they do have side effects. When are they most appropriate? It is possible to take steps to combat stress and depression without relying on prescription medicines. Find out how to use exercise, diet and supplements to boost your mood.

Guest: Tieraona Low Dog, MD, is Clinical Associate Professor and Director of the Fellowship for the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona. She has served as Chair of the United States Pharmacopeia Dietary Supplements–Botanicals Expert Committee and on the White House Commission on Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Her website is www.drlowdog.com

The podcast of this program will be available the Monday after the broadcast date. Podcasts can be downloaded for free for four weeks after the date of broadcast. After that time has passed, digital downloads are available for $2.99. CDs may be purchased at any time after broadcast for $9.99.

Join Over 145,000 Subscribers
at The People's Pharmacy

1. Kris

I enjoyed the show, but I wish you had challenged her a bit when she said she would urge vegetarians with depression to consider fish oil. Why not algae oil? It’s more expensive, but I get 640mg DHA and 260mg EPA daily from algae oil supplements. I agree that Flax seed & Chia seeds’ ALA is not as beneficial, but algae oil provides the DHA & EPA that fish oil provides.

2. Carla ARNP

Here’s what she said about the Rhodiola:
    Scandanavia used for centuries. Used for altitude sickness help with alertness, for many mental disorders, depression, fatigue, body hurts, tired. Evidence based. Dose extract 3% rosavin .8% salidrasite start with 100-150 mg per day for a week or 2. Then increase if needed. Most between doses 3-400mg per day dramatic effects!

3. Karen

With all due respect, I had one of the worst sunburns of my life as a result of an experiment with St. John’s Wort. In addition, it has effects on other meds. Preaching that “natural” = “no side effects” is irresponsible.

4. Paul 43

I take celaxa and would like to hear more about this subject. Thank you

5. Leasiala

On a scale of 1-5, I give this a “10”. Wow! I listen to this show almost every Sunday while I’m getting ready for church, but today I sat down and took notes. THANK YOU for such an integrated approach to healthy living, and one that is completely affordable, accessible, and do-able.

6. bt

To duaneac–
    There actually is NO EPA or DHA in flax oil at all. There is ALA, which is an 18-carbon chain omega-3 fatty acid. In order to get the long-chain omega 3’s that most of the studies have been done on–EPA and DHA– from ALA, your body must do a conversion. This conversion is not very efficient; and appears to vary from person to person.
    This is why Dr. Low Dog mentioned the difficulty of vegetarians getting enough EPA and DHA.

7. Ajmer

What do I look for on the ginseng bottle?

8. KATHLEEN V.

I saw her on the Dr. Oz show last week. She is Dr. Andrew Weil’s doctor! Very interesting person and information…

9. duaneac

I heard this program this morning. I think it is very valuable for people to consider as an alternative to medications. I have recently become a vegetarian and have taken fish oil for years. When the Dr. Low Dog mentioned the difficulty of vegetarians getting enough EPA and DHA I’m surprised that she didn’t mention flax seed oil. Is the DHA and EPA in flax seed equivalent to fish oil?
    Peoples Pharmacy response: When we have asked Dr. Low Dog about this in the past, she has pointed out that the omega-3 fats in flaxseed are slightly different from those in fish oil. We can use the shorter chain fatty acids from flaxseed to create DHA and EPA, but we are not very efficient at doing so. That means you need more flax seed oil to get the same result you would expect from fish oil.

10. MaggieMay

In regards to the Rhodiola in connection with ‘hypothyroidism’, I have read that is is quite beneficial.
    My niece has hypothyroid so I have a vested interested in ‘alternative’ medicine in that connection.
    The use of Rhodiola offers a few of the exact results that she (& most suffers) would need. It is quite beneficial for performance level, fatigue and depression. These are 3-of the problems zones with this auto-immmune illness…
    On a personal note, I also use Rhodiola in the winter months; as I live in British Columbia where we have a long and dark winter, and that is a natural energy zapper & by the 3-month, I am longing for the sun or any kind of ‘light’ to return. I am a bit of a minimalist, so I am careful of what I consume…I do my research and I study all pros and cons before I ingest; I am no wagon jumper. I have been using for many years, in this manner along with Vit.D in the winter (which I also quit supplementing in the summer months.
    I hope this is helpful.