a sphygmomanometer (blood pressure monitor)

How do you keep your blood pressure under control? Managing blood pressure is an important pillar for maintaining good health and reducing the risk of strokes or heart disease. Regular exercise, a diet high in healthful vegetables and fruits and ways to relax and manage stress can help. But sometimes people need blood pressure medication to get hypertension into bounds. Lisinopril is a popular prescription pill for blood pressure, but what about lisinopril side effects?

ACE Inhibitors for Blood Pressure Control:

Blood pressure pills are perceived as generally safe medications. ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme) inhibitors in particular are considered highly effective with few adverse reactions. We calculate that at least 100 million prescriptions are filled for ACE inhibitors each year. Here is a list of commonly prescribed ACEi drugs:

• Benazepril (Lotensin)

• Captopril (Capoten)

• Enalapril (Vasotec)

• Fosinopril (Monopril)
Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril)

• Moexipril (Univasc)

• Perindopril (Aceon)

• Quinapril (Accupril)

• Ramipril (Altace)

• Trandolapril (Mavik)

We have frequently written about an ACEi cough, which drives many patients crazy because it can keep them awake at night, cause incontinence and make them miserable. However, another reaction worries us even more. It is called angioedema and it can be life threatening. A Turkish patient died from angioedema triggered by lisinopril despite emergency treatment (Iranian Journal of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, Dec., 2015).

We received the following message from a visitor to this website.

“One night after taking lisinopril my lips began to swell as if I had a fever blister. Within two hours my face was extremely swollen and my throat began to feel like it was closing off my air passage. I went to the hospital and spent the night in the emergency room with an IV and other meds.

“The doctors identified that I had a reaction from the lisinopril. I still had some swelling a full 24 hours after the incident. I was told that I was lucky and that they were close to doing a tracheotomy.

“I had taken lisinopril for four years before the reaction. I would strongly advise alternative medications other than lisinopril, and recommend anyone who has been taking this for any length of time have a discussion with their physician.

“The final advice I have is that if you have a reaction seek medical attention immediately.” Gary

Angioedema and Other Lisinopril Side Effects:

Angioedema is a somewhat mysterious reaction to ACE inhibitor blood pressure pills. It can happen within the first few days or weeks of starting treatment, or, as in Gary’s case, show up after years of taking the medication. There is no way to predict what will trigger such a hazardous reaction. When it happens, however, it requires emergency medical attention. If your airways close, breathing becomes impossible. That is why they were considering an emergency tracheotomy in Gary’s case.

Angioedema doesn’t always affect the face, tongue and neck, though. We have heard from other visitors that ACE inhibitors can affect the belly. Here is one poignant story:

“I was put on lisinopril for high blood pressure in January. That month I experienced severe stomach cramping and vomiting. I was rolling on the floor in agony. The doctor said it was most likely the flu but started me on two different antibiotics in case it was bacterial.

“A few weeks later I had another attack with severe stomach cramping and vomiting. I went to the ER, where I was given IV pain meds. A CT scan showed small intestine inflammation partially blocking off my bowel. I was sent home but returned the next day with pain that was a 10 on a 10-point scale. The doctor said that all the tests had been done and there was nothing he could do. I was sent home with pain medication.

“A few weeks later I was admitted to the hospital with increased small intestine inflammation and another blockage. I vomited and dry-heaved for 12 hours. I was released four days later with no definitive diagnosis.

“I was told most likely I had Crohn’s disease, but a colonoscopy was negative for Crohn’s. I underwent extensive tests, including endoscopy, and all were negative. None of the doctors made a connection with the drug lisinopril.

“After two months of missing work, three more ER visits and untold suffering, I found several other people who reported similar symptoms connected to lisinopril. I stopped the medication and have not had another attack. If you look on PubMed you can see reports on lisinopril and intestinal angioedema, but doctors don’t think to connect this with lisinopril because it is not listed as a common side effect.”

Taking ACE Inhibitors for Hypertension:

ACE inhibitors can be very effective medications for many people. As long as you don’t experience an unrelenting cough, breathing difficulties or severe abdominal discomfort, you may be home free. No medicine should ever be stopped without medical supervision.

Here are some other side effects to aware of.

Lisinopril Side Effects:

• Dry cough, uncontrollable cough, nausea, vomiting
  • Dizziness, excessively low blood pressure
  • Kidney function changes, BUN & creatinene elevations
  • Headache
  • Digestive distress, diarrhea, abdominal pain
  • Tiredness, fatigue, malaise
  • Excessive potassium levels (requires immediate medical attention!), irregular heart rhythms, chest pain
  • Elevated uric acid levels
  • Sensitivity to sunlight (photosensitivity), skin rash
  • Angioedema (swelling of face, lips, tongue, throat)
  • Angioedema (swelling in abdomen, severe abdominal pain)
  • Severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) requiring emergency treatment
  • Toxicity to liver or pancreas
  • Blood disorders
  • Potential birth defects if taken during early pregnancy
  • Sexual difficulties

In one case report, lisinopril caused hair loss (Journal of Pharmacy Practice, online June 6, 2016). Anyone who would like to learn more about non-drug approaches to controlling hypertension may find our Guide to Blood Pressure Treatment of interest. There is also information about other medications for dealing with blood pressure problems.

Share your own experiences below. Those who would like to learn more about ACE inhibitor cough will find this link of great interest.

Revised 9/28/16

1. Debbie

I was on lisinopril for a little over 3 months. I had horrible coughing and gagging day and night. Diarrhea (like a water faucet) daily. Nausea. Chest pain. I can’t believe they continue to give this medication to people. I stopped taking it and withing 3 or 4 days I was starting to feel normal again. PLEASE STOP TAKING THIS MEDICATION!

2. Jenny R
    Blue Springs Mo

Have been on lisinopril for almost 2 months have been dizzy unbalanced and bad headache first couple weeks… Now I am tired all the time still off balanced and noticed my depression and anxiety getting much worse. I told my doctor and she tried giving me a different pill which can cause a heart attack in rare cases when initially starting on this med. I didn’t even take 1 pill stayed on the lisinopril but plan on talking to my Doctor again. How can they give out such a bad drug they really don’t have their patients best interest in mind at all. If they can’t find me something safer than it’s time to look for a new Dr. who will actually listen!!!!!!

3. Connie
    Peoria il

I had the same experience. I took the benezapril for 5 months. I was sleep and woke up my throat was swelling. I went to the er and ended up in icu for 5 days on a ventilator til the swelling went down. It was a very scary ordeal. Who would think something that is suppose to save your life almost be your demise.

• Michael Mullen

What are some good alternatives to Lisinopril for an African American male.

4. LaTonya
    Merrillville, In

Back in November 2015 I had an allergic reaction to Lisinopril as well. Because of the swelling of my lips and throat they had to put a tube on my throat for several days and it caused scaring. I now have trachea stenosis. I’ve had 2 procedures done where they put in the laser balloons to widen my windpipe and that is only temporary the doctor says. Doctor told me he didn’t want to cut on me because it might cause more scaring but after I had my follow up he said I should find a doctor who can put stents in but that’s not guaranteed either,smh. He told me after my last procedure that in 3 months I will be worse again and that was in March. It’s August now. He don’t know my God!

5. Yvonne
    Virginia (VA)

This medication is not good at all. I almost Died! It is still hard for me to get over that day. Dr. Inform my husband that we made it just in time!!! I just hope that people read up on what they are taking!

• Yvonne

This medication it’s not good at all I was on it for just one year. And I could not breathe my tongue came out my windpipe my throat everything was closed up. I was not gasping for air I was gurgling gurgling for air air. So emergency trach was not performed . They had to put a tube down my nose and it took everything in the process of them opening up my throat and windpipe. I was lucky that I made it there in time I’m still going through a whole lot with that day. Make sure that you read everything that goes in your mouth before you take it.

• LaTonya

I was using the medication for about 6 years. Doctor in Er told me it’s not good especially for blacks. When they released me from the hospital I was coughing and had a bad odor in my mouth and was weezing. A week later I went back to the hospital. They were giving me breathing treatments and sending me home after 4 to 5 days. I was in the hospital on 4 different occasions. One doctor was trying to tell me I had asthma, smh.

• Gerri

The ACE inhibitors seem to work better for me than the beta blockers but the severe coughing is unbearable. I recently had a pacemaker implanted and the tissue around the implant has become tender from all of the coughing. The severity of the coughing increased after I contracted pneumonia. Lisinopril no more.

6. Zettes
    MD

I just got out of the hospital yesterday after a 3 day stay. This is the second time in 5 months I have had severe diarrhea, vomiting and abdominal cramping. I have been diagnosed as having acute pancreatitis. There were many tests run and one of the things they came up with was gall stones although none were found, ” must have passed it” they said. My husband and I were not happy with the the fact that a real reason was not found for the cause of all this pain and suffering. I have also had serious puffy eyes, dizziness, ringing of the ears, serious joint pain , embarrassing flatulance and many other strange symptoms. I decided to look up symptoms of Lisonipril and saw that most if not all of my listed symptoms are side effects of this drug. I had been on an IV the entire time in the hospital and after a few days felt much better noticing a reduction in the eye puffiness and other symptoms for the first time in at least a year! Could it be the medication? I will be seeing my doctor in a few days and will ask that I get a different medication for high blood pressure. I take 20 mg per day. Wish me luck!

7. Linda
    McKinney

How can I wean myself off Lisinopril? Thanks, everyone for your stories and input. After reading, I believe this drug is causing my gastrointestinal problems and the raw, sore feelings in my mouth. With all my specialists, I get the same report, everything looks good! I have had every acid blocker on the market, with many making me sicker. My colonoscopy and endoscopy, reveal nothing, except a slight hiatel hernia. Actually, never had this issue, until I had my first endoscopy, three years ago and I thought it was acid escaping into my throat and mouth. This was same time frame they removed my thyroid and I have to take levothyroxine, also. This is the same time frame they put me on lisinopril. I cant wait to be free of lisinopril and see if my symptoms of sore burning throat and mouth, severe constipation, muscle weakness and weak sinking spells go away. I just want to get off this drug safely.

8. Ron
    Aurora Co.

I have been on this medication for 5yrs.I have received experiencing the same symptoms everyone else has been discribing. I noticed it from the beginning of taking it,I mentioned it to my Dr.but he was not very concerned about it. I have been complaining about it for years. None of them have ever said that the meds,could be the problem.

9. Jim

I was prescribed 10 mg lisinopril for slightly hbp. After 2-3 weeks I noticed a gradually deepening depression. I mentioned this to my doctor and was told that was not a known side effect for this medication. A few minutes on the internet and I learn it is a fairly common claimed side effect. I tapered off the meds slowly for 2 weeks just to be safe and feel no depression whatsoever now. It would be impossible for me to function on this medication. The depression was that severe which could even be life threatening.

10. Terry
    inverness

I started taking lisinopril a month ago once a day and I have felt OK until today, I am light headed (dizzy) whether I sit, stand, lay down and it’s scary. I’m trying to find out if its a side effect or is my bp dropping to low, should I not take it tomorrow? I have to go to work and I can’t work with the way I feel today.

• The People's Pharmacy

This could be a consequence of the blood pressure medicine. It deserves a discussion with your doctor.

• Rosemarie
      NJ

I took lisinopril for a long time over 7 years. I began to feel unstable. Panic attacks confusion and terrible stomach pain. I was hospitalized twice. They tried to take out half of my colon. Said it was diverticulitis. I signed out of the hospital and had a colonoscopy done I was fine. I finally figured out it was the lisinopril. I can’t find another medication that doesn’t make me very sick now. But at least I have my colon..,. sad, and scary.

11. Hilary
    Swansea

Been on Lisiniprol and have never felt so ill I am having panic attacks and palpitations in my chest. My blood pressure is now perfect although a bit low but my anxiety and nerves are really bad.

12. Tanya R.
    United States

On April 20, 2015 I noticed a what I thought was just a bump on my lower lip. Within 4 hours my lower lip had swollen to almost 3 times its normal size. I was swollen that it started to hang and touch my chin. I could barely talk. I was advised to go to the ER where they hurried me back and began procedures to check my breathing. They were worried that my throat or voice box may have been swelling as well. Luckily, the only thing that swelled was my lower lip. I had to spend the night in the hospital for observation. The diagnosis was angioedema from the Lisinopril I was prescribed and had been taking for a month. Just wanted to share and hope this encourages someone to go to the ER immediately if they experience this.

• Jenny

I experience the same thing a.. never linked my severe anxiety attacks to lisinopril…

13. Hello

Do not EVER GO OFF THIS COLD TURKEY. I went off this cold turkey and developed all kinds of weird stuff about 5 months after going off of it . Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, upper respiratory infection, psychosis, nervousness, shaking, chills, unexplained rash. I checked myself into the ER because my blood pressure was 200/90. It was the scariest thing I had ever experienced. I am back on it now and am back to normal. However, I still get odd bowel movements among other minor things that may or may not be related.

14. PW
    United States

I am taking lisinopril but the cough is going beyond occasional. I have COPD as well. I have tried a dozen other BP drugs. I want off them all. The side effects I have experienced are frightening. Heart palpitations the most frightening. Physicians don’t seem to comprehend my concern.

15. Sidney
    Canada

I have been taking Ramipril 10mg 1 time a day for 3 and a half years. Since taking this medication I have felt like hell. Headaches tingling hands, feet and face and dizziness and now in the last 9 months severe skin rashes with hives. Today I feel awful severe abdominal cramps diarrhea and of course the horrid rash. I forgot to take my bp med this morning so I took it at 9 tonight within two hours severe itching and feel my palate itching. I am now sure it’s this medication. Saw my MD Friday gave me a cream prednisone yuck and hydroxyxine feel awful going to get this medication changed or go the natural route. Think these pills are killing us my bp was never that high to begin with. MD it was preventative family genetics not buying this now.

16. Terri
    NC

I take lisinopril for my CHF and I’m experiencing the stomach bloating, cramping and vomiting. It seems like the doctors aren’t listening each and every time I go to the ER with these problems after I take Lisinopril. They always want to say its gastrointestinal which I know it isn’t. It’s becoming really frustrating, and there are times where I really don’t even want to take it. I’m sick of the stomach pain it causes.

• Dick
      Ashland ne

Just wondered if anyone had this angioedema of the small intestine and how long it took to recover after stopping this god awful stuff? I’ve been off for 4 days and can only do liquids and not much of that.

17. Toni A.
    Wichita, Kansas

I’ve been on Lisinopril and hydrchlorthiazide for 4 years. Started getting dizzy every now and again thought it was my ears. 6 months ago the clinic doctor raised my dosage from 10 mg/ 10mg to 20mg/25mg. I have noticed a weakening in my muscles especially my legs, I have fallen several times in past year. Pain from my toes to top of my head. Sometimes just an aching pain other times shooting pain. My body is tingling most of the time my vision hasn’t gotten really bad.

Was diagnosed with cataracts 2 years ago but vision so much worse since dosage raised. I never read the side effects because I knew if I did I wouldn’t take the medicine there are natural ways to combat high blood pressure and water retention I haven’t done them because my prescription was much cheaper 4 dollars for the month at Walmart but I am going to start now I’d rather spend extra money then lose my life.

I had my blood work got the results yesterday Dr thought maybe there was something going on but result show everything’s normal my gluclose is a little bit but that would not cause my body to be in this pain so I decided to look up the side effects of my medication everything I am feeling and have been going through are the side effects of this medication I hope that this helps someone please go see if you’re feeling any side effects

18. Janey
    United Kingdom

I have been taking it for awhile (2.5mg), now have swollen and blistered lips, the blistering I thought was a simple cold sore, now my bottom lip has endless blisters and feel tingly and a little swollen…. Lisinopril was what caused my elder sister to have swollen lips and tongue and went to ER and that started the chain of events that lead to her death…so I am understandably concerned ..

19. CMF

I have just started lisinopril for HBP(160/80) – have taken three 10 mg tablets and got diarrhea, a side effect. I’m also on metformin for diabetes even tho’ I weigh only 120 lbs. (Dr.. says I’m the skinny type of diabetic(genetic) not the obese type.)
    I don’t need to become dehydrated and lose nutrients from my food (I’m 2/3rds vegetarian raw food) so want to get off lisinopril. In the comments no one has said if they stopped it suddenly or tapered off it. Since I’ve just had 3 could I stop suddenly or should I go off gradually? Am going on vacation with my family for a week so don’t need this problem while I’m away!
    People’s Pharmacy response: The package insert for prescribers does not specify that lisinopril must be tapered. When someone has a bad reaction, they have to get off fast. But no prescription drug, especially for hypertension, should be stopped without medical supervision. Check with the prescriber!

20. Torrence

I found out if I read something when the nurse takes my BP it doesn’t get as high. A couple of weeks ago when I went to see the doctor by PB was 130/82 without any kind of BP meds. I now know I never did have high BP after years of taking BP meds. It is so important we take care of ourselves with exercise and eating right. That alone will help our BP problems. GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!!

• 88KEYS
      Sherman Oaks

THIS is what I wanted to read … THIS ONE post, is ALL that matters to me … I’ve been taking Lisinoprin / Lisinopryl, whatever it’s called, and found out it was BAD for me when I was on a cruise … My blood pressure was a little high… back then, when it was prescribed, I was 320 …. Today, I’m 257 … Still a ways to go … but, I’ve been eating right, and I’ve been exercising…. i.e., walking every day ….