biotin and resveratrol for psoriasis, ease psoriasis

Some of our most important drugs were discovered partly by accident. Penicillin was developed after Alexander Fleming found a mold devouring the bacteria he was growing in a petri dish.

A class of valuable blood pressure medications called ACE inhibitors (lisinopril, ramipril, etc.) was developed when scientists investigated why victims of the deadly jararaca snake of Brazil died after experiencing very low blood pressure.

Coconut Macaroon Serendipity:

Sometimes ordinary people also put unexpected discoveries to good use. Such was the case when Donald Agar found that eating two coconut macaroon cookies daily could control the devastating diarrhea brought on by his life-long inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s). He shared this surprising outcome, and many other people have benefited over the last decade.

Does Cilantro Help Psoriasis?

Several weeks ago we heard from a reader that a common herb, cilantro (coriander leaf), might offer unexpected help:

“I have a home remedy that is amazing. I used to have severe psoriasis on my knees, elbows, eyes, forehead, wrists, feet and scalp. It would crack and bleed, itch and flake.

“One day a man commented on my raw patches and asked about the treatments I’d tried. I explained about the numerous prescription treatments that had next-to-no success. Steroids gave short-term relief but the problem usually came back worse than before the treatment.

“This man said to cure my skin problem all I needed to do was eat raw cilantro. He said I should eat enough to turn my stool green.

“I found that it takes a bundle each day for 10 to 15 days. I mix it in a green salad with my favorite dressing and find it an interesting flavor. My skin has been completely clear for six years. If I notice a small patch starting to get rough once or twice a year, I eat a bundle of cilantro for two or three meals and have no more skin problems!”

Other Readers’ Stories:

Since receiving this report, we have heard from others who have also tried cilantro and reported benefit.

One person offered this follow-up:

“I have been testing this out, as I have bouts of psoriasis. This winter I woke up sporting quite a few spots on my thighs. I know how quickly this stuff can multiply so I thought I would test out the cilantro. I can say that it is having an effect.”

Another reader reported:

“I have been eating one bunch of cilantro in a salad for lunch every day for about two weeks. It worked. My psoriasis subsided just like it does in the summer after exposure to the sun. No other drink (oolong tea, green tea) had any notable effect. No topical creams had any notable effect. My scalp is not perfect, but I don’t have to hide my skin.”

In an experimental vein, one woman came up with a different way to consume this remedy:

“I make a smoothie with cilantro and V8 juice in the blender. It is helping my psoriasis tremendously.”

A Warning:

We caution those taking warfarin that cilantro, like parsley, is very rich in vitamin K and suddenly increasing consumption by eating a bunch a day could interfere with the effectiveness of the anticoagulant.

Could It Be the Quercetin?

Recent research in mice demonstrates that quercetin, a flavone that occurs naturally in many plants, is capable of reversing experimental psoriasis (Chen et al, International Immunopharmacology, July 2017). Scientists established long ago that many herbs, including cilantro (aka coriander), are rich in quercetin (Kunzemann & Herrmann, Zeitschrift fur Lebensmittel-Untersuchung und -Forschung, July 29, 1977). We suspect that this compound and possibly others might explain the mystery of why cilantro helps psoriasis.

It is unlikely that scientists will test cilantro, but these stories stand as a reminder that careful observation can lead to intriguing options.

Revised 6/29/2017

It's almost Black Friday at The People's Pharmacy!

Black Friday at People's Pharmacy 2017
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
View Specials Now

1. Debra
    south carolina

Does any one out there share this thought, I have psoriasis for about 11 years now and like every one else have tried so many things , but my question is as a child growing up in the south we always had fresh home made bread with all meals and we were always healthy.

But now, Bread is out the door for thousands of people because you have to go gluten free just to try and keep your psoriasis from spreading soo badly. I never seen people with Psoriasis or heard of it when I was younger. I think it has to do with GMO wheat that our flour is made from and all the breads and breading on our foods are made from GMO FLOUR!

Does any one out there have any thoughts about this? Please reply, thanks

2. KATHLEEN
    WEBSTER, NY

Has anyone used cilantro capsules? I just ordered some from the internet. 425 mg.
    I will let you know how it goes for me. I have used fresh cilantro mixed up in a blender with tomato juice – just so I could swallow it fast and it seemed to help. Now, I’m going to try the capsules. Much more convenient. Hope it works.

3. Debra
    south carolina

Every one is talking about cilantro doing great things for psoriasis, and I pray it helps because I myself have had psoriasis since 2009. But was wandering can I not just supplement with vitamin K and get same results?

• Terry Graedon

vitamin K might not be the whole story. Quercetin might also play an important role. They are not the same thing.

4. Mark

I had small patches of psoriasis for many years. I also had diarrhea for years and no doctor could ever figure out what the problem was, but I was assured diet had nothing to do with it. When I began hearing all the hype about the gluten free craze, I decided to give it up to see if it might help. It took almost 3 months for me to notice a difference, but I went from 5-15 bouts of diarrhea before ever leaving the house in the morning, to just one 1-3 solid stools a day!

My psoriasis went away within the first month of my gluten free experiment, and has never returned. That was an unexpected bonus. I also have eczema, but oddly enough I have been eating a lot more cilantro over the past few months, maybe a bunch every 1-3 days, and I just noticed yesterday my eczema has cleared up. I have remained gluten free for about 4 years because anytime I eat it I have loose stools that will last for weeks.

5. Tyler
    Pt Pleasant NJ

Coriander seed taken as a tea also helps with psoriasis. I’ve been drinking it daily for about 9 months & my psoriasis is much improved. It is a more economical way than eating cilantro to get the same effect.

6. Mary Jane
    NYC

Just a comment on a statement at the start of this article regarding Fleming’s “discovery” of penicillin. In colonial America, it was common knowledge among the wives, that you should keep a crust of moldy bread around, for colds and flu.

7. Shelby
    South Carolina

I only have psoriasis in the top of my head. Does anyone think CILANTRO will help me or does anyone have any other suggestions? Thank you!

• Dallee
      Florida

Consider whether you might not have an allergy to aloe, which is added to so many hair products these days. I get scaly patches if I use a hair product with aloe (consider peroxide and/or ammonia sensitivity if you use any hair coloring products).

Throwing in this thought because the head isn’t a usual place for psoriasis.

8. Charla
    WA

I am having a good result taking one tablespoon 2x a day of Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar. I started using it to combat indigestion and noticed Psoriasis fading away.

9. Angela
    Speedwell, Tenn.

This is very interesting, worth a try.

10. cpmt

I don’t think Fleming was the one who found this mold in a cave. I can’t remember his name but it was another scientist. It was very difficult to cultivate in large quantities. What Fleming did was to “multiply” in larger quantities. And as before with many times with other scientist, he got the credit. But, thanks to him, many lives were saved.

11. Charlotte
    Texas

I can’t confirm this but essential oils are plant therapy and they say to do this:

Miracle Salve: Lavender essential oil, Rosemary essential oil, and Peppermint essential oil.

To each 2 ounce jar add: (double if you are using 4 ounce Mason jars)
    5 drops Lavender essential oil
    5 drops Rosemary essential oil
    5 drops Peppermint essential oil

With the addition of 5 to 10 drops of Melaleuca oil (tea tree) to a jar of Miracle Salver, the patch of psoriasis on Shelly’s elbow has all but disappeared. In the past she has tried everything including diet changes and prescription drugs. It has taken about 3 weeks for the Miracle Healing Salve to do its thing. Gone are the ugly crusty patches.

12. Kimberley
    Canada

Deepa

The best thing you can do for your psoraisis and your health in general is look to your diet. There really isn’t much point in taking things to get rid of a problem if we continue to do things that encourage it. That approach is like taking aspirin for a headache and continuing to bang your head on a wall.

That being said, I saw big results in the beginning by taking oregano oil capsules, but then plateaued. What reversed the psoraisis completely was the elimination of wheat, dairy and sugar.

You might also want to look at supplementing with diatomaceous earth. People have been noticing that the overall healthy appearance of my skin is much better since taking it.

13. Deepa
    India

I never tried cilantro. But I want to try it since i am having psoriasis for past 15 years.
    But I want to know taking cilantro few months, will it cure the psoriasis for life time?
    As we all know that Psoriasis is a life long disease. Kindly give a suggestion.