man with back pain holds his back

Statin-type cholesterol-lowering drugs are a mainstay of treatment for heart disease. But many people find it difficult to stick with their treatment. They may complain that medicines such as simvastatin (Zocor), atorvastatin (Lipitor) or rosuvastatin (Crestor) causes joint or muscle pain. It doesn’t help when the doctor says such a side effect is impossible, or that it must be psychosomatic.

Does Simvastatin (Zocor) Cause Joint Pain?

Q. I started taking 10 mg of simvastatin (Zocor) four years ago. At that time I was in good physical condition. I would exercise regularly after work. Since that time I have aged rapidly and am not capable of working out due to pain in my back, right hip and leg.

I have been to a great number of doctors, and they have found no reason for the pain. I regularly get cortisone and nerve-burning treatments in my lower back.

I recently had my simvastatin prescription increased to 20 mg per day and almost immediately my symptoms increased and went into my other hip and leg also. I have an appointment with my doctor scheduled, and now I am thinking the simvastatin could be the reason for all of my problems.

I will write again when and if I get some answers. I would like to thank everyone on this website for all the helpful information you have posted.

Statin Drugs May Cause Joint and Muscle Pain:

A. We cannot answer your question whether your statin has caused the pains in your back, hips and legs. We can only say that all statins are capable of causing muscle pain and weakness. The pains can occur almost anywhere including hands, shoulders, neck, back, legs, feet and knees.

We have received so many reports of similar problems to this website that we don’t know where to begin. Here are just a few examples:

Lyn reported:

“I know dozens of people who take statins. Most of them were always active at work and home. Now everyone of these people, me included, complain of aches and pains in muscles and joints. Some days my legs feel like the won’t support me. My arms and shoulders feel like I climbed a mountain. I don’t even feel like weeding my rose garden.

“My doctor, my wife’s doctor, and my mother’s doctor (all different people) all swear that the statins are not causing the problem. Side effects listed on all statins include muscle pain – guess they can’t read. Another problem we all have is extreme fatigue. This group of people was otherwise healthy and active, but now some of them feel like they should be in the old folks home.

“Since my cholesterol is very low now, I am trying to talk my doctor into weaning me off the statins. I’m hoping he does and I can feel like a human being again instead of a zombie.”

JAM wrote:

“My husband’s doctor, an internal medicine specialist, prescribed a statin drug which he was on for about a year. My husband had horrible aches and pain every day, had trouble sleeping and he also developed neuropathy. He has been off the statin for over a year and still has all the problems related to it.

“My concern is that his doctor just puts his patients on a pill and does not take any side effects into consideration simply just says pop this pill. My husband won’t question his doctor but I certainly do.”

Another reader had trouble with leg pain and weakness:

“Muscle pain can mean different things to different people. I was on statins (Lipitor) for years and complained to my doc about muscle pain. The long muscles from hip to ankle are so sore that I can’t bear to touch them.

“I have been off statins for two years and there is no relief from the pain. Leg muscles are also weak, making stairs very difficult. Will this muscle sensitivity ever go away?”

One woman had a horror story:

“My husband started taking simvastatin (Zocor) 5 years ago. The first time he started to notice tingling in his left arm and muscle weakness, we told his doctor, and he said it was not what we saw in the list of side effects in commercials on TV, which said if you notice these symptoms, you should tell doctor-as we did, but he still denied it.

“What we don’t understand is why his doctor started him on such a high dose: 80 mg. Most people I have talked to were started on 10 mg or 20 mg. He then totally lost the use of his arm. We then had other medical problems that needed to be taken care after we started to see a neurologist who thought it may be a pinched nerve.

“To make this short, because there is so much more, four years later my husband had a biopsy done, in May of this year and has been told he has ALS.

“He stopped taking Zocor for 6 months, but I think if we had known about these statins and if his doctor would have been more honest about the side effects and listened more to us about the symptoms, my husband would have stopped taking the drug immediately and would not be fighting for his life at 58 years old.

“I think anyone who is on any of these statins should make sure that there are no other safe options, unlike my husband who trusted his doctor. I hope this helps even one person to have a choice and to know all the true side effects.

“Thank you and I hope that the F.D.A will take a closer look into these statins that I believe are causing motoneuron diseases!”

Is There a Link to ALS?

The FDA denies that there is any connection between statins and ALS or any other serious motor neuron disease. The story has not disappeared, however. You can read more of what we have written here.

And please share your own story below. We want to hear all sides of the statin story.

1. charles
    KY

I have been taking 80mg a day for 12 years with no problems.

2. Kate

One lesser-known side effect of statins is that statins can lower CoQ10 levels by up to 40% http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S156772490700061X

Low CoQ10 levels can be a concern because CoQ10 helps promote healthy heart function. This is because CoQ10 plays an important role in the production of 95% of the energy used by the cells in our body.
    (Source: http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/coenzyme-q10)

The addition of a CoQ10 supplement to statin drug therapy can help rebuild CoQ10 levels. However, CoQ0 has poor absorption, therefore, you should choose one that is both water and fat-soluble which is better absorbed by the body than regular CoQ10.
    (Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Plasma+coenzyme+Q10+response+to+oral+ingestion+of+coenzyme+Q10+formulation).

3. Linda
    Norfolk, VA

You can add me to the list of the painful! I’ve been taking Simvastatin now for a couple years and never thought there was any correlation to my aches and pain. I just figured now that I just turned 65 this was a little RA coming on!

Sometimes my legs aches so much I can barely get up from my chair and even visits to the toilet can be uncomfortable as I have to use my arms to lower myself slowly on and off the throne! When lunching with some friends today, they noticed how slowly I walked and how I had to use my arms to anchor into my dining chair!

One gal suggested I quit taking my 20 mg pill for the next couple of weeks to see if there is any improvement. I there is a natural alternative I’m all ears!

4. Don
    San Diego, CA

After a three-way bypass operation (CABG) and 13 years on three different statins, side effects began to worry me. No muscle pain, as others have reported, but significant memory fog or failure in everyday situations caught me off-guard. Lethargy, and a lack of energy became daily annoyances that couldn’t be attributed solely to old age.

Then there was the mild depression – unusual and disconcerting to a normally happy guy. After discovering Dr. Kilmer S. McCully’s book The Heart Revolution and Dr. Duane Graveline’s book Lipitor, Thief of Memory, I decided it was in my best interest to end my statin consumption. My doctors resisted the idea, but lowered the dosage. The memory fog continued, though infrequently, as it always had been.

Finally, I decided to ignore their advise, eliminate all statin use and resume a normal lifestyle, regardless of the consequences. After two more years I can finally say that I am the happy and energetic person I used to be. I no longer visit a cardiologist, and my PCP and I still have a good relationship, though he is concerned about the consequences of my choice. I tell him, I’m 76, and I’ve had a good life. What does it matter if it ends tomorrow?

5. Wanda M
    Iowa (IA)

I was on Zocor for nine years and it almost totally destroyed my body. My fingers look like I have Rheumatoid Arthritis but I don’t. I’ve got multiple joint and muscle problems, have had a total hip, knee, and shoulder replacement and may need a fusion in my back.

Even though I’ve been off it and many other prescription drugs for the last 13 years, I still hurt. Side effects from all the drugs caused me to gain a lot of weight when I had never been overweight in my life. Just the last year, I had weight loss surgery, a knee and shoulder replaced, and having my other knee replaced in May 2017.

There’s an article called, “The Cholesterol Myth” and anyone taking or thinking about taking statin drugs should read it. Also, check into the “Framingham Heart Study.” They proved that people over 50 with high cholesterol live longer and are less likely to get Alzheimer’s. I won’t even let them check my cholesterol. They put in my chart that I’m allergic to it. The truth is that everyone is “allergic” to it.

6. Barbara
    spokane, WA

statins cross the blood brain barrier and ,in fruit fly nerve cells anyhow, cause bump like growths on nerve cell according to a researcher in Arizona However a small study at John Hopkins indicated that statins agumented the anti cancer effect of an anti cancer drug on brain tumors.

Sorry, I don’t know how to attach the articles to my comment, but they can be googled. My point is that statins are very powerful drugs with potential for neurological side effects and prescribers should stop listening to the drug reps and start listening to the patient. Liver enzyme testing should be done whenever there is a suspicion that muscle pain or weakness could be a statin side effect. I have two sisters who developed liver problems while on statins.

7. Susan t
    MD

I’m grateful for all those who have reported their statin side effects over the years. I won’t be taking them!

8. Donald
    Orlando

I had been taking Crestor for several years and did have muscle tightness and some pains in the legs and other areas. I starting take Co-Enz Co 10 and a lot of that went away. But the more I have read about the connections of it and some of the other meds I am taking to type 2 diabetes I decided to stop taking it after my last blood work my sugar level was up.

I eat a very good diet, no sugar, no sweets, little bread and white carbs, good fats. Plus I walk about 3 miles at day 5 to 6 days a weeks at 18 to 19 minutes a mile. So the blood sugar got my attention.

Also if you have dry eye issues…my eyes have gotten better. So not sold on Crestor. But I do think since I have 3 stents!!! What alternatives or has it been over marketed??

9. Nellie M
    Durham,NC

Statins caused me severe muscle pain. I was very active but after one month of taking Prevastatin I could hardly walk or use my hands. My husband took Simivastin was in terrible pain.

10. Deloris

Not only did I have the typical muscle pain and cramping from 1 year 8 months on simvastatin, I also have denervation atrophy (nerve problems), rheumatoid arthritis (joint deterioration), and calcification of the coronary arteries (3 stents). After 5 and a half years, my condition keeps getting worse instead of better. That drug will eventually be the death of me.

11. HelenM
    Modesto

After two heart attacks my husband was put on mevacor, one of the first statins. Several years later, at the age of 54, he died of ALS. As I have been reading more about this condition and statins, I am convinced his caused the ALS. We read the 8 weeks cholesterol cure by kowalski and I began making the bran muffins. My husband ate one every day and, at the angioplasty, after his second attack, his arteries had been cleaned out. One doctor even commented it look like something blasted them clean. Wish we had known about it before I lost him.

12. G. Barber

Statin drugs, specifically Zocor, has totally destroyed my life. My doctor had me on Pravacol and it was okay. Then he switched me to Zocor in 2001. 60 days later I awoke in the middle of the night with searing hot pain in both my deltoid muscles in my shoulders.

I checked myself into the Emergency Center in the hospital I worked in at 9am and only at 3pm it was partially relieved with a heavy dose of morphine. Was referred to an Immunologist, and after numerous tests, he determined weeks later that it had morphed into an immune system disease. Been to Mayo Clinic , Cornell University Medical Center in NY City, and both U. of Florida (Shands) in JAX. and Gainsville and they thought I had an neurological disease called Charcot Marie Tooth.

I am basically an invalid with overall body aches 24/7 and severe balance issues. It has been gradual progressing month by month. I am on a Fentanyl opioid patch, neurontin, baclofin and Advil, cannot sleep and am severely constipated. No cure and I don’t know what is ahead for me. STAY AWAY FROM ALL STATIN DRUGS. The prescibing doctors I am convinced are being given some form of incentives by the drugs mfrs. They deny, deny, deny.

13. June

I am off statins completely….my hereditary cholesterol is 400, but I choose to exercise and try to eat well. Statins did not save my mom; she was on 40 mg crestor for years and she slowly deteriorated with two heart episodes and a stroke. Horrible drug. I’ll keep my cholesterol.

14. Rick

I would be more worried about low cholesterol due to oxidation of cholesterol by medications and other toxic substances like acrolein found ubiquitously through out our environment in smoke and environmental pollution. If you want links I can prove my point.

15. Jim
    Florida

My thought: Anyone who gets pain or any other bad reaction from overdosing on statin-poison, should stop taking it IMMEDIATELY. If your doctor insists that you keep poisoning yourself, fire him right away. He is either incompetent or a fool.

16. Brooke

It’s all well & good to report adverse drug reactions to your Dr. but it’s #1. rare that he’ll give it any credence and #2. that he’ll report it to the FDA. But you can and should report it to the FDA. More consumers need to do that. It’s the only way it’ll make it into a database.
    Here’s the address:https://www.fda.gov/safety/medwatch/howtoreport/ucm053074.htm

17. William J
    Frisco, Texas

I am a 76 year-old male who has suffered from coronary arterial sclerosis for 17 years, including 2 mild heart attacks. I started with angioplasty/stent and eventually had quadruple bypass surgery 4 years ago following my 2nd attack. I have been taking statins (started with Zocor and switched to 40mg Atorvastatin/Lipitor 6 years ago). Most of the time I put up with some joint and muscle aches (worse with Zocor), so my doc put me on 15mg daily Meloxicam/Mobic. Happily, have been pain-free ever since…can’t remember even a headache. All this said, I would prefer to quit Atorvastatin and Meloxicam, despite my annual bloodwork showing “everything normal”. Wish I knew how?

18. William
    Florida

I like all of the examples above. With regard to statins, it has now become a reality for me. I too have what the medical community would call highish – Cholesterol issues. I have been on and now off Lipitor and Simvastatin for about fifteen years. I have now taken myself off of my once a day 20mg dosage of Simvastatin. I wanted off and consulted a Homeopath doc for help. He helped me with an all-organic natural product to assist in helping keep my bad HDL down along with an even more strict diet ( as I have pretty much always been health conscious with what I put into my body).

We did a 90 day test with the natural product, completely eliminating the statin. My GP was aware of what I was doing as well. After the trial my screening came back a little higher than what it had been on the Statin alone. My GP wasn’t too alarmed, I wasn’t in the red as yet, but he suggested I go back to my regular dosage of the statin to rule out any possible problems. Once back on the statin, the muscle pain and bit of memory loss returned. I am now off of the statin again.

Continuing to find better alternatives, as in the example given above. Do your due diligence, and find a better way. Clean diets are the best start along with exercise, once your body allows you to go there again. What I forgot to mention is during my 90 day trial off my Statin regime, my body felt better. Once I started up again, the pain ensued almost immediately!

I wish all of you good health and good healthy alternatives. They are out there, but you must dig to find them. One way would be to start to check into non Western Medical alternatives to your issues.

• Larry
      Raleigh, NC

I wonder what William’s “natural product” was. Some MDs recommend Red Yeast Rice to their statin-rejecting patients. Red Yeast Rice is naturally-occuring Lovastatin, pure and simple.

If statins cause you trouble, so will Red Yeast Rice.

19. MF

Well, it is so good to read all these entries….I have the same story. Have been healthy my whole life, mostly fit, not overweight… but a routine blood test found high cholesterol (238) and not so great hdlLDL ratio. My MD started me on Crestor.
    Within two weeks I stated feelings aches. At two months my legs and hips ached so bad I couldn’t take the stairs and was having difficulty getting in and out of the car. I have been off the stuff for about one month now and the aches are largely gone… still some though. I wish I had never taken it. I wish our medical system wasn’t driven by greed and profit. I developed three hernias just as I was coming to terms with what Crestor might have been doing… looking at myalgia and muscle damage.
    If I find out that my hernias (weakness in muscle wall of abdomen) were caused or exacerbated by the statin… I will be extremely irate. If you are reading this… check into CO-enzyme q10 and check into the possible side effects of statins… not good.

20. Bailey

GiGi,
    I just saw this post you wrote in October, 2013. I just wanted to tell you that going on a cholesterol free diet is NOT THE ANSWER. Recall you were put on a statin to lower your cholesterol and you have suffered terrible side effects.
    People are stuck on numbers. Cholesterol is our friend. It is necessary for every function in the body. In fact, the lower your cholesterol (by any means), the worse your health gets. I realize that is not a popular opinion with so many people on statins. When I considered all the people out there who were suffering debilitating pain and weakness, that is my opinion. It took a lot of research and questioning before I made this oh so difficult life choice.
    Try going to the site called spacedoc.net. Dr. Duane Graveline started that site after his own horrifying experience with statins. He has authored some very good books as well. You will see them listed. Also, I just read a fascinating book by Dr. Malcolm Kendrick, called The Great Cholesterol Con. There you will understand how cholesterol came to be the villain it is in modern medicine. However, I have learned the opposite is true. Excessively low cholesterol sets the stage for many illness out there, some of which are deadly. I repeat: Cholesterol is your friend. And, while you may be thinking you don’t like the company I keep, start reading. You can also go online to Utube and see excerpts from the film “Statin Nation”. I actually got a copy of the entire film for Christmas. Boy, was I ever right to get off the statins after so many years of pain and agony.
    It has only been 6-7 months since I got off these drugs, but I am feeling better. I do take CoQ10 daily and regular vitamins. I also take a supplement with turmeric and green tea extract. I avoid processed sugars (95% of the time he he), white breads, pastas, white potatoes and rice. I eat only whole grains, brown rice, brown pastas, and sweet potatoes. I also always have a tray of fresh raw vegetables on hand for snacks or to lightly steam. Food is medicine. And, lastly, I eat a lot of protein with fat. I also eat real butter.
    The fat and cholesterol won’t hurt you. It is what you mix it with that will do you in. That is, all the bad carbs I have mentioned above. Oxidative stress is the culprit, not cholesterol. You sound like a very intelligent person. Read, read and read some more. You will figure it out. But, by all means before thinking a cholesterol free diet is the answer, check out these sources of information I am listing here.
    After 6-7 months, I can’t tell you all the pain is gone. What I can tell you is this: I was on a lot of pain medicine. I woke up in pain and went to sleep in pain. I have been able to get rid of the vast majority of it unless I have a really bad day… I do still have them. But, I have good days too. That is what keeps my spirits up. When I recall a cholesterol count of 111 and pain so bad, I would cry… when I recall the weakness that still plagues me to this day, but is getting better, I consider myself lucky to be alive. All this pain and misery started when I had just turned 50, yet I felt like I was 90. It made no sense whatsoever.
    To all of you out there who have the courage to think for yourselves and read and research for the truth, I applaud you. It is scary to go against an established system. It takes guts to think for yourself and refuse to take answers that don’t fit.
    Good luck GiGi!!
    God Bless,
    Bailey

21. Jennifer

No I do not have alot of pain but the knee is tight in front making walking difficult. I also have clicking/clunking. Would a procedure to change forces on the kneecap be recommended ?

22. GIGI

I have been taking zocor 40mg. once a day for 12 years and no doctor has ever said to stop. I also take zetia once a day but have been on it for six months now… had taken it with the zocor for a year in 2002 then dr. said to stop zetia.
    In the last ten years I have noticed I have allot of muscle pains… now can hardly walk very far as my hips, leg bones won’t hold me up and the mid, back pain is terrible. I have to sit several times a day for 15 mins. to a half an hour, get up and do what I have to do. The rest helps for another hour then back to the chair.
    In the last 4 years I have noticed some loss of memory. Now it is getting much worse. It is frightening. I have always been a very active person, mentally as well as physically but since taking zocor, I have gradually gotten worse.
    A tendon broke loose from a bone in back of one of my knees too. falling apart.
    ..then I had to have a stent. (in 2002). That’s when all the meds started and I started having all sorts of muscle problems along with the forgetfulness soon after. Before that I only got hormone injection once a month. never any meds.
    I am stopping the zetia and zocor and going on a cholesterol free diet. Can I get my body and brain back to normal? That is the question. I’m 78 but age never stopped my body and mind before and to tell me all these things are because of my age is not correct!

23. Bailey

Today, I took my mom to her Cardiologist. I informed him that I took her on Simvastatin to which he replied “Oh did she have joint pain?” Yes, I said. I did not feel like arguing with him. He then said that taking her off Simvastatin would not matter at this point. Well, I guess not given her history following these drugs.
    She was on the dreaded Baycol for quite some time and put on Simvastatin after Baycol was taken off the market. After starting on statins (she did not have high blood pressure, nor any heart issues that required intervention), the horror began. She went downhill really quick.
    Rather than protect her heart, this medication has caused her terrible pain and weakness in her legs and back, and memory problems that are similar to Transient Global Amnesia for starters. She also had cataract surgery shortly thereafter. Her mental status has deteriorated so quickly and strangely that my sister and I are confounded.
    She suffered six mini strokes, and also congestive heart failure requiring a pacemaker. Not too long ago, she had two stents placed for blockages. Now I ask you, did statins protect my mother in any way? None of this is in her family history.
    Then I informed him I took myself on Simvastatin. He said “Now you are too young to get off statins!” Is he for real? I have suffered terrible pain right after starting on statins and it has gotten worse not better. My liver enzymes were elevated, kidneys were not functioning properly for a whole year and I began to have muscle twitching that was alarming to say the least.
    I have been off statins for almost four months. I still have peripheral neuropathy, memory problems, stinging and burning in my feet and a whole host of other maladies too much to count.
    I plan to stay off the statins and feel hopeful that one day I will go back to normal. I was on so many medications for High B/P, swelling in feet and hands, numbness and tingling in both upper extremities. My last blood work (as a result of an unexpected hospitalization out of town) showed my CK levels were well over the limit of normal. She never checked my CK levels despite numerous and ongoing complaints of pain and discomfort for years.
    Now, I will find someone to do repeat CK testing to see where this muscle damage is coming from and a deep muscle biopsy. Not one doctor ever thought my symptoms were the result of statins. In fact, the first time I was made aware that this may be related was through my Pharmacist.
    When my doctor switched me to Simvastatin and the pain continued, she used that as a reason why statins were not causing the pain. This time when I told her why I thought I was having these problems and stopped the statins, she put in my file that I had “statin intolerance”. Well, it is about time.
    Maybe these doctors are getting to a place that they just cannot refute the studies any longer and the fact that STATINS JUST DO NOT PROTECT THE HEART AND VASCULAR SYSTEM and have not resulted in fewer incidents of heart attacks. I am doing better than before now. The pain has subsided, but not gone away. I just hope and pray that one day the pain will go away completely and that I will feel like I am supposed to feel at my age.
    Bailey

24. Lorene S.

I’m convinced now that all my pain is caused from Simvastatin especially after reading all the comments. I started taking this pill 20mg a day & have severe lower back pain, hip pain, leg pain. I even had an x ray on my hip & nothing found. I use to jog 5 miles a day & now can’t even exercise due to the pain. I use so much icy hot that helps a bit but not much.
    Lorene

25. NJ

I have had similar problems. I am 44 years of age and was on 20mg simvastatin for the last 5 years. I was very active, exercised, and full of energy before taking simvastatin.
    Gradually, I had lost strength everywhere in my body, especially in my left leg. I could hardly raise it to get out of a car or chair. I also began to have memory problems, muscle cramps, muscle twitching, and fatigue.
    I went to the emergency room because I was so weak and could hardly walk anymore. Of course, these symtoms mimic MS and ALS, so I had an MRI with and without contrast, an EMG, and all the blood work.
    They could not find anything wrong with me, but told me to stay off the simvastatin for 4 to 6 weeks to see if anything changes.
    I have noticed huge changes since I quit taking Simvastatin……it has only been 2 weeks since I quit taking it, and already the fatigue is gone, I can walk again, my memory and concentration are like it used to be (at least I think), my strength has returned, and my left leg is feeling better! I still have some more tests for memory and Lymes Disease, but I feel like my old self again!
    The Neuro does not think simvastatin could have caused these side effects since I never had them earlier, but I think this is what has caused all my problems. I was put on them due to high cholesterol and high blood pressure, which probably saved my life at the time, and lowered my cholesterol, but probably not something you want to be on long term?
    There is definately risk/side effects to using statins, and hindsight is 20/20 now. I would advise not taking them and look for alternative ways to lower your cholesterol.

26. Bailey

Believe me I tried so many times to get my late husband on a healthy diet. He just refused to take care of himself in that way. His answer was to medicate the problems away. He tried for a few months after his first by-pass surgery. But, he just gave up and ate whatever he wanted.
    I see now he could have greatly changed the course of his life with those changes alone. But, he just did not listen. I can only miss him, remember the good times, and encourage our son to follow a different path.
    In fact, our son had a weight problem. He ate NO VEGETABLES OR FRUITS ONLY THE WORST CARBS YOU CAN EAT. I sent him to a weight loss camp for kids when he was 13. He weighed close to 260lbs. It broke my heart to force him to go but there is a very happy ending.
    He learned all he needed to know about health and nutrition and exercise. Since then (he is 22 now), he has controlled his weight, eats healthy and exercises regularly. Had I not sent him to a place where he learned how to eat fruits and veggies, he would not be so healthy today.
    I was so frightened that he refused to eat anything but carbs, I made him go while I still had control. He now says it was the best thing I could have done for him. We have changed the course of history here for an entire generation. That is a good feeling!!!