Q. Can a dental night guard contain BPA? Instead of getting a new dental night guard after three months or so, I continue to use it until it doesn’t work. Sometimes they last a few years. I haven’t noticed any problems, but I’m concerned about hidden harm.

A. BPA (bisphenol A) is an estrogen-like chemical that has been used in a variety of hard plastic products. The FDA recently ruled that children’s drinking cups and baby bottles can no longer contain BPA because of concerns about the potential for hormone disruption.

Dental night guards are designed to protect teeth from grinding during sleep (bruxism). They are often made of hard clear plastic, but it is not easy to determine if they contain BPA. Although dental associations reassure patients that there is no reason to worry about BPA exposure from dental materials, you could ask your dentist to acquire BPA-free night guards. Otherwise, replace your mouth guard more frequently, since BPA is released more readily from plastic that has undergone wear.

If you would like to learn more about the health effects of BPA, here are some recent news stories you might be interested in:

New BPA Discovery is Scary!
BPA No Longer Permitted in Baby Bottles
BPA May Affect Behavior
BPA Affects Multiple Generations
Does BPA Exposure Raise Risk of Breast Cancer?
BPA In Your Soup!

Join Over 145,000 Subscribers
at The People's Pharmacy

1. susan

Replacing your night guard every 3 months at $300.00 is out of the question for the majority of people. Honestly!!!

2. Stan

I have used the same nightguard for over ten years and I asked my dentist about this last year. He assured me that it did not contain BPA but I stopped using it anyway.

3. Liz H

I’d like to know as well if this is a problem with hard or soft night guards. As mentioned earlier, they are expensive. Mine is over 15 years old, and definitely shows wear!

4. CBL

My dentist made a mouth guard for me over ten years ago and it is still strong and usable. It’s hard and was custom-made. It was a bit expensive, but it’s lasted a long time. Don’t know if it has BPA, but it seems that since it’s not soft perhaps it’s made of a different material.

5. Karen

Not clear that the mouthguard is protecting against bruxism, or snoring. Similar guards are sold under the PureSleep label, to stop snoring. (In our experience, they work pretty well, BTW.)
    From what I’ve seen, I’d at least make sure that you’re buying the name-brand product; the discount knock-offs are pretty cheaply made and much more likely to leak something you don’t want to ingest.
    OTOH, if it’s bruxism, you’re trading mouthguard leakage against long-term enamel erosion and eventual major dental work, which has its own exposures…

6. nm

I wonder if Invisalign braces contain BPA? Anyone know?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: The company says no on its website.