a spoonful of ground flax seed

Heartburn is probably part of the human condition. As a consequence, people have devised numerous ingenious home remedies to ease the symptoms. One reader swears by flaxseed tea. Will you find it helpful?

Trouble with Acid Reflux:

Q. Many people have trouble with acid reflux and find it hard to get off reflux meds such as Nexium, Prevacid or Prilosec. I too had a rough time with acid reflux until my doctor suggested flaxseed tea.

I made a batch and drank it daily for one week. My reflux is gone. You may need a follow-up batch for a day or two, depending on your diet and circumstances.

Recipe for Flaxseed Tea:

To make flaxseed tea: Boil 1/2 cup flax seeds in 4 cups of water, just until white foam forms. Cool the drink; the seeds will settle somewhat. Drink the tea. You can eat the seeds if you like. The tea has a nutty flavor and is rather thick. Experiment to get the consistency you like. Thicker is better but less palatable.

One week. Pain free! I love it, no meds.

What Is the Story on Flaxseed Tea?

A. Flax (Linum usitatissimum) is a plant used to produce linseed oil and linen. It is also the source of flax seed, which has been used for easing digestive distress as well as lowering blood sugar and cholesterol.

We could not find any scientific support for its use against reflux, but the tea you describe sounds simple and worth consideration. Other readers have reported that flaxseed tea can help prevent constipation.

Another reader offered a different herbal approach to reflux:

“Fennel seed capsules have almost totally eliminated my heartburn. I tried Prilosec, but it did not suit me. I take one fennel seed capsule with each meal and hardly ever have acid reflux anymore.”

1. Deb
    Buffalo NY

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS!! I read this article and the comments, and thought I would give it a try. I have had heartburn for 6 months now, all tests come out negative. They cannot find out why I am having this. PPI’s did not work for me

After making this with flaxseeds, (I steeped 1 tablespoon in 2.5 glasses of water)…and drinking, I have been having horrible heartburn for 5 days and counting…all since drinking this tea. It’s like it burned the lining of my stomach or, that is what it feels like.

It feels like any improvements I had made are all gone…:(

2. Gary
    NC

How about taking flaxseed capsules instead of the tea?

3. Bonnie
    Washington State

Flaxseed gives me horrible gas. I take ginger root capsules for indigestion.

4. Helen
    Canada

Re: the flax tea. What about the recommendation NOT TO HEAT flax or flax oils?? They are supposed to be refrigerated and not stored on the counter. I have been avoiding ground flax on my hot porridge for this reason. Can someone please clarify. Can flax be safely heated, or not???

5. Hillary

I started taking Melatonin at night for insomnia. After about one month, I realized that I had NO reflux or heartburn any longer. I had not taken any Tums or Zantac. I did a little research and found that Melatonin does relieve it! I used chewable Melatonin, 5 mg, 1 every night.

6. paul43

Same questions as ARK’S

7. cpmt

If you drink alkaline ‘clean” (spring, mineral water) with high number of alkalinity like 8.0 or 8.8 it will help with all your meals, not just when you have acid R. also a tsp. of mustard, or hand full of almonds, baking soda (in Europe old Mediterranean countries they use alkaline water by putting 1 tsp. of baking soda – (they sell small envelops in pharmacies) that you take after meals, specially if they are ‘heavy meals’.
    Also. Flax seeds are very difficult to digest, you only drink the water. I think flax seed are alkaline.