a man checking to see if he has bad breath

Q. I want to thank you because your article on a potential cause of bad breath has solved a long-standing problem of mine. No doctor was able to tell me why I had halitosis and standard tests were not useful.

When I read in your column about a blood test for a germ in the stomach that causes ulcers, bad breath and gastritis, I checked with my doctor. He had never heard of this condition but he gave me the blood test and was surprised when it turned up positive. He was so interested in Helicobacter pylori that he told other doctors about it and prescribed antibiotics to kill it.

Now I am fine after years of bad breath. Why aren’t doctors more aware of this infection that causes ulcers and other problems?

A. Bad breath can be a terrible torment, especially if it persists. There are many factors that may contribute, including tooth decay or gum disease. Medical conditions such as diabetes, liver disease or kidney failure can also create chronic halitosis.

Dr. Barry Marshall, one of the world’s leading experts on Helicobacter pylori, believes that this bacterium is responsible for a large proportion of stomach ulcers. Based on his experience he also believes this bug could account for many cases of hard-to-treat bad breath.

The germ theory of ulcers has been around for decades but it took a long time before it achieved widespread acceptance. Dr. Marshall and his pathologist colleague Robin Warren were given the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 2005 for their research.

You can learn more about bad breath, heartburn, ulcers and Helicobacter pylori treatment in our Guide to Digestive Disorders.
We don’t know if treating H. pylori will help others overcome bad breath, but we appreciate hearing about your success.

Join Over 145,000 Subscribers
at The People's Pharmacy

1. David E
    Lagos Nigeria

When i brush with Sensodyne and OraB i have clean mouth and dental checkups proved that the bad breath is from inside not my mouth.Pls help am a marketer

2. Lanre. s
    Lagos Nigeria

I believe in you that i can also get lasting and perfect treatment like others.

3. S.k
    Mumbai

Plz help me, I am having bad breath from 4 years. When I brush my teeth my breath gets real bad after a minute of brushing. Sometimes when I wake my mouth has a very rotten smell when I spit it has a yellow colour and it smells bad.

• michael
      Philippines

My doctor(ENT) prescribed me clindamycin after checking up my tonsils. He told me that i dont need an operation because my tonsils are normal.Im taking clindamycin right now and its working no badbreath even after waking up no morning breath. I read on many forums that clindamycin is good for upper infections. Some said that while taking their antibiotics (clindamycin) bad breath gone and when stopped taking it the bad badbreath comes back.hoping i dont end up like them. im hoping bad breath really gone even i stop taking clindamycin.

4. Abubakar
    Nigeria

Please can some help me with remedies and medicine for mouth oduor that is bad breath coming up from stomatch please help me my friends.

5. Tashana
    Jamaica

Hey, I am living with bad breath for at least 7 years. When I brush my teeth my breath gets real bad after a minute of brushing. Sometimes when I wake my mouth has a very rotten smell when I spit it has a yellow colour and it smells bad.

When I floss the food that comes out from my teeth smells horrible. This has affected my self esteem. I think poorly of myself. When I speak to my friends or anyone they scratch their nose which I know means my breath smells horrible.

Sometimes I’m at school and I know the answer to a question and dare me how I want to answer it because I know the answer but am scared to because of my bad breath.

This boy whom I like and who likes me as well was talking to me but after he smells my bad breath he is scared to talk to me. This makes me cry most of the time and want to kill myself and to stay away from everyone. It hurts to know how you want to talk to someone or say something but is scared to talk. I imagine in my mind talking to people trying to see how it feels talking to someone knowing your breath doesn’t smell horrible.

Some please can you send me some antibiotics I can buy at the pharmacy to kill my bad breath. I will save to buy it. I hate talking to my family about this (mom died, father haven’t heard from him in months) especially my aunt who I live with who doesn’t care. So please someone tell me the antibiotics I can buy.

6. George
    Ghana

Add your thoughts to the conversationI have this bad month smellin odour that prevents me from getting closer to friends.infact am very shy of this .please what should I do.

• Gina
      California

Hello my name is Gina and i can totally understand how u feel Uam going through the same thing for years Ive tried everything its horrible i spend my time alone away from everyone especially my family i hate it but dont stop trying there’s got to be a cure in my case i found out i have Hpylori right now Iam on the Matula Tea very expensive but there is a money back guarantee praying that it works! Thanks for listening my prayers r with u…Gina

• Virginia
      CA

Hi my name is Gina. I to have bad breath I understand completely how u feel I’ve had it for over 10yrs and found out the cause H pylori.

I’ve spent a lot of money trying to find a cure nothing works or I am approaching it wrong. I am so frustrated that even the doctors don’t know I’ve done the antibiotics 3 times.

I stay away from everyone even my family and I get very depressed and lonely sometimes I wonder why I’m even here.

I want to do so many things in life but with this bad breath I DON’T see it happening so u see I can truly relate to u your NOT alone there has to be a cure somewhere we just got to find it the thing is not to give up!!

7. glenn

Hi everyone.( pls forgive my english and a long text). I searched and found this article and read some of the comments. Because I really want to know why my bad breath has gone. I want to share also of what I am experiencing now. I am already 30 years old and had bad breath ever since despite of cleaning thoroughly my teeth and tongue. (One of my insecurities). Until last Dec 2016, my throat got irritated and itchy and had a cough to the point I couldnt speak because if I would my cough wouldnt stop and had no voice anymore maybe because of inflammation of vocal cords.

So, the doctor prescribed me 3 different medicines . 1 of them was an antibiotic. The other 2 medicines were just for the itchy as what the doctor said. Every after 3hrs of taking the antibiotic, I could taste a bitterness on my lips and in my whole mouth. (I dont know if it is normal to have such taste because I took also antibiotics before but I did not have that kind of after taste).

I noticed too that I couldn’t smell a stinky odor in my mouth. So I thought it was temporary and that the medicine also killed the bacteria in my mouth. But as of now (2weeks already after completely taking the prescription) I still cant believe that I have no bad breath anymore. I checked it by licking my hand and smell the saliva and no foul odor.

Funny because I thought my sense of smell was not working. I really don’t know how my bad breath has gone. I’m just thinking that maybe the antibiotic had also cured any bacteria or disease i might have had that caused my bad breath. I am hoping that this is permanent already and wont get back. If anyone can explain this, I would be thankful.

8. Janice
    Hongkong

I’ve had a bad breath also,im so shy with all people sorround me can you help me what are the home remedy can i do and buy for the market or antibiotic in the pharmacy.i wonder why i have bad breath,because i brush 3time a day but when i talk or open my mouth my breath it so bad.please anybody help me.God bless

• Regina

What was the name of the medications.

9. Ray
    Indiana

Hello,
    I wanted to add my thoughts about what might be causing others bad breath problems. I had that problem for many years. It was very embarrassing to me. I was diagnosed with Meniers Disease last year. My doctor wanted to try an Antiviral Medication called Acyclovir. After using it for a few months my symptoms dissappeared. But in addition my wife noticed that I no longer had a bad breath problem. We were both amazed that it is finally gone. I am convinced that we carry bacteria and certain viruses within us that cause us many different types of problems that most doctors would just attribute to lifestyles, diet, or something else. For me it has been life changing. I just wanted to share this with all of you. I hope it helps. Ray

• Pip
      NZ

What dosage of Acyclovir did you take?

10. lily
    south africa

is there a cure for bad breath

• Joel
      Nigeria

Add your thoughts to the conversation hmmm

• Nicole
        Fl

I did a blood test 2 weeks ago it came back. Positive bacteria in the blood my doctor gave me 3 injection penicellin I have fresh breath now my boy friend told me he think is the injection did it.god is great..ns

• Marica
        Fl usa

11. Lily
    kenya

wish to know the antibiotics for h-pylori

12. NUNU
    south africa

My breath stinks real bad, could someone help?

13. prince king
    Liberia

I have been suffering from bad breath for some time now, even to the point where I will extract my teeth to stop the bad breath without taking medicine it will stop. But since two months ago my bad breath came back and it’s worse now. It’s even gone to the extent where I am experiencing sole on my tongue and gums. Can someone please help to show me a remedy or cure to my problem, and God will surely bless you as I am embarrassed to socialize or go close to anyone to say a word. It’s very urgent please.

14. James

I’ve been suffering from chronic bad breath all my life, I am 34 yrs old now and for as long as I can remember I’ve been suffering from this problem since I was 11 yrs old. Whenever I speak to someone they always brush their nose and that is my sign that my breath stinks.
    The worst comes whenever I eat sugary foods my breath stinks from my nose even if Im not speaking and it could fill up a room. It is very embarassing and it makes me think of killing myself or just stay alone in my room and avoid socialiazing. I had tonsillectomy more than a year ago because I thought that my bad breath came from tonsil stones but to my disappointment my halitosis continued even without my tonsils.
    I always try to avoid sweet foods, dairy and meats but it is very difficult. Please help me, I want to live a normal life just like everyone else who can eat whatever they want and not worry about bad breath. I envy those people who can talk and laugh with their friends without worrying about bad breath. I envy my friends who just brush their teeth minimum once a day but their breath doesnt stink while I always brush my teeth and my tongue more than 3 times a day but still my breath stinks.
    Is there an antibiotic that can cure chronic bad breath? Please help me because I think I already tried everything but nothing works for me.

15. cpmt

I am going to give my opinion only. H PYLORI is a bacteria that can cause halitosis, ANTIBIOTICS are GIVEN TO KILL THIS BACTERIA. Once everything is OK, no more antibiotics are needed. THEREFORE LOGIC WILL TELL ME THAT if you are not taking more antibiotics and you don’t have H pylori any more and the halitosis was produced by the bacteria and it was killed, you should not have the problem. If you do, then is something else what is causing you to have halitosis. You should have it checked. It can be caused from many different reasons, I am diabetic, and I have that problem. It can also be because other problems in your gut, medication you are taking or an infection…etc etc.

• Dee
      Hawaii

I feel your PAIN! I been going through the same halitosis misery most my life, I may try somekind of antibiotic, I Hope I can get some sort of relief, have you tried flucanozle?

16. francisco

I get you Magdy H. I also wonder if the antibiotics will make the problem worst eventually…

• Yanna
      United States

To begin, please apologize my bad English writing. I hope you are able to understand me. I have also suffered from bad breath since my teen years. It has been very horrible for me and affected me in many ways. I get bullied and people make my life miserable. It got to the point of not wanting to go out of my house. I visited many dentists to see if they could help me but I was always told that they did not smell anything. It was not a problem with my teeth becuase I have good oral hygene. I then decided to go with a general doctor and explain to him my situation. He was very professional and understood my pain. He right away told me he was going to do an endoscopy and that’s what showed that I had gastritis and also H. Pylori bacteria. The level of this bacteria in my stomack was very high. I began taking antibiotics to kill this bacteria and right away I felt a difference. The bad nasty taste in my mouth reduced. I know I still have bad breath but not as severe as before. The doctor mentioned this bacteria produces cancer if it is not taken care of in time. He also said it is a pain in the butt to get rid of it. At this time, the level has gone done but I still have it and Im working on it. People, I just want to let you know that there are solutions to this problem. Please forget about the embarrasment, and visit a doctor. This issue can bring severe consequences. Bad breath can be eliminated.

17. Magdy H.

I have had halitosis for many years and it is persistent. Now, when I used antibiotics to treat H. Pylori I extremely improved, but the question is, FOR HOW LONG COULD I USE ANTIBIOTICS SAFELY? This is my problem now, if any one has an answer I’d appreciate it.

18. Elisa

I just wanted to share a really important piece of information. I’ve suffered with H.pylori for 5months before it was properly diagnosed and even after treatment I’ve suffered with issues that were caused by h.pylori, until now.
    The first time I was tested it came back negative because the bacteria culture hadn’t grown in size enough to show the problem. After I was diagnosed and treated with antibiotics I was told to go back and get another test for H.pylori in three months to make sure it was gone. So I’m guessing that three months after the symptoms start is the key date where it can be seen in the blood.
    Throughout the whole event and until just recently I’ve had seriously stiff joints, my brain has been foggy and my heart has been hurting, all of which started about a month into h.pylori taking over my stomach. These symptoms continued even after the antibiotics.
    Since then, I’ve been tested for everything and even tried a natropath to no avail. I have just recently found the cause and felt compelled to share it with the internet world as I haven’t seen the answer to my problem anywhere. H.Pylori’s favorite meal is potassium!!! It has usurped all of the potassium from my system which apparently only happens with medications or disease and that’s why my doctor didn’t pick up on it. I only figured this out when someone told me to try drinking apple cider vinegar for my joint problem. And within 24hrs my joints stopped aching and I could think clearly! It’s been months of frustration but I’m feeling I’ve finally found the leg up I’ve been needing.
    The recipe is this : 2-3 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar in 1cup of water once daily. There are also recipes where you can put 2-3 tsp of honey in. I’ve found the Braggs company to have the most nutritious form of vinegar. A side note here, don’t do this if you have h.pylori still in your system, they’ll just feed off of it and your stomach will probably feel worse.
    So there you have it, I really hope this is helpful to some of you, it’s an article I wish I had seen months ago! ( :

19. cpmt

clean your tongue and floss your teeth, take probiotics, kefir, and yogurts with probiotics… (if you are not allergic to lactose), each parsley, mint, drink mint tea, eat apples 9organic with skin) …some ideas.

20. Luis

hey guys I can really use your help I’ve had bad breath for two years now and its destroying my social life if you can email me on what type of antibiotics to take and steps to take please comment.

21. cpmt

I know that some diabetic people (like myself) have bad breath related to diabetes. I find difficulty to find something that will work for me… and I’ve tried several remedies…. month, fennel, apple etc… (that can help other people)

22. Robert.M

Well there are numerous reasons for bad breath. But recent studies have shown a tie to the Helicobacter pylori, a simple bacteria, with ulcers, gastrointestinal disorders and bad breath. Yes antibiotics could very well solve the problem. But for one looking for home remedies.
    Keep in mind any underlying health issues could be the cause of your problem, and finding this problem could be the only cure. But for someone that is healthy please read on.
    One popular home method to determine the presence of bad breath is to lick the back of the wrist, let the saliva dry for a minute or two, and smell the result.
    Here are a few suggestions. Avoid some of the offending foods known to cause bad breath including, garlic, coffee, onions, dairy products, meats, alcohol, smoking, soft drinks, juices and foods with high acidity.
    You may try some health items to help build the so called healthy bacteria, acidophilus and digestive enzymes to start. Your local health food store can assist you further.
    After a meal you may try munching on some parsley as this will help neutralize some of the obnoxious odors.
    Be sure to brush your teeth on a regular basis and floss. Pay close attention to the tongue and gums when brushing and brush for at least a minute. Any dental or peridontal disease may contribute to the problem. Using Hydrogen Peroxide as a gargle can help kill some unhealthy bacteria, but not to be over used.
    Finally drink plenty of liquids and don’t let your mouth “dry out.” I would suggest not cutting out so called “healthy foods” but watch your intake on unhealthy ones. I will make an additional post if I can think of some other remedies.

23. cpmt

Fennel seeds, mint (raw/fresh), anise seeds, eat an apple, and other herbs can help. A mixture of fennel seed and anise can get them at indian food stores, they use it after meals, google or check internet.

24. TAH

One cause of bad breath, which is often overlooked, is “tonsil stones” – food that becomes trapped in the crypts of the tonsils. Enlarged tonsils, due to chronic viral infections, can contribute to this problem.
    There is very little medical research on this over-looked problem. Perhaps someday we will have broad-spectrum antivirals that can help shrink the tonsils and eliminate enlarged crypts where food can get trapped and broken-down by the bacteria, enzymes and antibodies in our saliva. It is the break-down process that makes decaying food smell

25. Alexs S.

Most cases (85–90%), bad breath originates in the mouth itself. The intensity of bad breath differs during the day, due to eating certain foods (such as garlic, onions, meat, fish, and cheese), obesity, smoking, and alcohol consumption. A very good site to help you is Oraltech Labs. Dr P, Hanson M.D. Since the mouth is exposed to less oxygen and is inactive during the night, the odor is usually worse upon awakening (“morning breath”). Bad breath may be transient, often disappearing following eating, brushing one’s teeth, flossing, or rinsing with specialized mouthwash.

26. paulbyr

I am surprised at this post since H. pylori was one of the first tests I received (negative) from my gastroenterologist about 1994, before he stated me on the then new medicine, Prilosec, for GERD. I think that if we want to get specialist’s advice, we can’t expect to get it from a family practice doctor.

27. cpmt

IS there any good home remedy for bad breath ? (when is not possible related to stomach bacteria )

• N Disnep
      SA

I also have bad breath. Can anyone share with me the names of the medication and antibiotics.