Approximately 800,000 Americans suffer a stroke each year. The degree of disability such a brain attack may cause depends partly on the area of the brain affected and partly on how soon appropriate treatment is provided.
What symptoms signal a possible stroke? Find out how to minimize your risk of a stroke as well as what to do if you suspect one.
To find a stroke center near you, look at the American Stroke Association website.
Guest: Larry B. Goldstein, MD, is Professor of Medicine (Neurology) at Duke University and the Durham VA Medical Center, Director of the Duke Stroke Center and Principal Investigator of Duke’s American Stroke Association-Bugher Foundation Center for Stroke Prevention Research.
The podcast of this program will be available the Monday after the broadcast date. Podcasts can be downloaded for free for six weeks after the date of broadcast. After that time has passed, digital downloads are available for $2.99. CDs may be purchased at any time after broadcast for $9.99.

1. Emelia

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE SHOW!!! I JUST DISCOVERED THAT I COULD LISTEN TO A SHOW ON MY LAPTOP EVEN THO’ I MISSED IT ON THE RADIO. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
    Back in October 2010, my husband (74) had a tooth removed by the oral surgeon. A few days later, he had a Cellebellum stroke. I thought it was inner ear and not any too soon we got to the hospital. After being hospitalized for a few months and much physical therapy, he is driving today but he is on Crestor (probably forever) and on Meclizine for the dizziness. He gets VERY TIRED and takes a short nap every day. Thank God he is so well.
    My comment is I have seen articles connecting the teeth to the strokes. No one mentions this. By the way, my husband does not smoke, drink alcohol, goes to the doctor regularly, no high blood pressure, doesn’t drink soda, doesn’t add salt, no family history and no cholesterol problems. He had an inner ear problem about 8 years ago and so we thought this was the same thing. I CAN ONLY ATTRIBUTE this to the removal of his tooth. What do you think??????

2. Tamera

My local npr station plays your shows a week late so by the time I hear them it’s too late to call on that show!
    Comments about stroke-I have multiple genetic risks for strokes and have been drilled by my doctors on how important it is to get to the hospital for any stroke symptom. So when I suddenly lost all vision on a Friday evening… and then had it fade back in and out which had me scared about stroke. Once at the hospital however, I was told I’m ‘too young’ to have a stroke and that it must be just a migraine!
    Then when the doctor learned I take coumadin for one of these genetic disorders he decided I was too young for that too and that… an INR of 1 would be so dangerously high I could be having a brain bleed… after all at at 40 I was too young to have any health problems!
    I ended up taking a taxi home and treating myself with low molecular weight heparin shots given at the same dose my doctor had prescribed for clots in my legs. Within a few hours of the first shot I had a big improvement in vision and knew I was doing the right thing. I continued treating it as a DVT throughout the weekend until I could reach my OWN doctor who right away sent me for an MRI. Only not just any MRI… he ordered a MRI of the veins too since I have the history of DVT in my leg.
    Turns out the stroke I was ‘too young for’ was a left transverse sinus thrombosis which is very dangerous only because so few doctors think to look for clots in veins even when a patient HAS a genetic condition that causes clots in veins!
    I’m doing mostly OK now, all vision has finally returned but still struggle with some fine eye-hand movements on one side.

3. Peg P.

My husband had a severe stroke in 2006 that left him paralyzed on the left side and on a feeding tube. He requires 24hr care. I have tried every Dr. to try and get help with a problem. He has a lot of mucus and can’t get it up. I have to suction him a lot. Is there anything out there that can maybe give him some relief as well as me. The doctors tell me no all the time. They say he has lost the function and the ways to get it up.

4. Sarah K.

There have been a myriad of studies showing high-fat, low carb diets lower triglycerides, bad cholesterol, and significantly help lower the risk of heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes. I did hear mention of lowering carbohydrate intake, but I heard nothing of increasing your saturated fat intake.

5. Marianne

I just caught part of program but ran to jot down “walk, talk, reach, see, feel” for guide to stroke symptoms. I’m familiar with the longer phrases which detail stroke symptoms, but this was first I’d heart this. I think it would be helpful for patients as well as professionals.

6. LD

I just accidentally hit the one star button. I really love the show. 5 stars.

7. Chris

Is there a link between whiplash and Vertebral artery dissection?

8. Rosemarie Newman MD

I called in but had to sign in at the hospital. In response to the caller who presented the abstract on the effect of diet sodas on stroke; it has been postulated that in trying to fool our bodies into thinking it is getting sugar (artificial sweetness), we trigger a reflex that precedes the chemical recognition that there is no sugar present. Insulin is released prematurely triggering the same cascade of events as if sugar is there and in the absence of something to work on, may have “abnormal” effects on the liver etc.
    Insulin itself is a very potent anabolic steroid. I have not read or heard of the bench research confirming this theory but it seems quite plausible to me. Moral of the story: “Don’t try to fool mother nature”.

9. Grant

I’ve been taking ‘chromax’ and cinnamon daily and my triglycerides have decreased. Any thoughts on the use?