epsom salts

Q. I’ve had rosacea for a long time, and I’ve tried lots of therapies. My dermatologist wanted to put me on Accutane but no way was I going there.
I started on the intensive light therapy then and did that for about a year. It’s very expensive and not super effective, but better than doing nothing.
I have been using Epsom salts for the last two weeks and the results are amazing! Since the first day the redness went away, the pores got smaller and the oiliness disappeared. My skin is smooth and soft.
I just put about 1/4 cup Epsom salts in some warm water. I use a sponge to put it on my face and chest in the shower. After a couple of minutes I’m done.

A. Thanks for this interesting suggestion. Epsom salts contain magnesium sulfate. We could find no research to support this approach, but it seems inexpensive and low risk.

1. Dennis
    98012

1/4 cup of epsom salts in how much water?

2. Sandy
    Chicago

I have tried every product that costs an arm & leg but advertised to clear rosacea. I have used the metro gel… None of these worked for any length of time. Coconut oil worked for a few weeks but then the redness, dryness and pimples returned. All of these experiments were for almost 2 yrs now. Dermatologist told me I have dry, mature skin which caused rosacea…
    Got tired of spending money for products that did not work, especially now that I have ocular rosacea, too. Long story short…
    Use Cetaphil soap morning & night with their towelettes (found that wash clothes irritated my facial skin), then I use a sponge dipped in Epsom salts & warm water solution for my eye and face. It works, but I still get flare ups ~ so, in my opinion, don’t think rosacea will go away completely and never return… Just try to manage it. The eye is the worst and I have macular, also. As you all know, it is no fun and very stressful.

3. Victoria
    Wirral

I have acne rosacea, well that’s what the doctor said. I have permanent spots on both cheeks and forehead, some days they go down a little in redness and soreness but I don’t remember a day since I first had them they getting any better. I’m 33 and from what I can remember started with rosacea when I was about 27, I have tried absorts to get rid but periods, stress, things I eat trigger sore red patches of spots on both cheeks and sometimes my forehead. I started using Epson dead Sea salts because I read it somewhere, didn’t know what I was doing or how I should apply. So I put warm water on my face to try open pores and just put salt straight on my face. It stings this way but not for long, my spots haven’t gone completely but there toned down, less red and my painful flare ups are not bad. My skin feels soft, I see encouraging gaps where spots once where with nice skin in its place. Such a cheap alternative to lotions and creams. For me it’s no cure but the best thing I have tried so far.

4. Beth
    Alabama

Would someone please tell me how long you leave the Epsom salts on, and how to use the calamine lotion properly? Thank you!

5. Zen
    Alberta, Canada

Thank you all for your remedies. I have had red skin on my face for quite a few years now. Seems to have appeared after my 3rd pregnancy. Some say it looks like rosacea. I’ve been wearing makep daily for the last 3 years to hide this redness as I got tired of people noticing and asking if I had just ran a marathon. I just changed my diet to a gluten free plant-base lifestyle in hopes this will solve the problem. I just bought a book called Everyday Raw Detox and there’s an interesting recipe that is said to even skin tone. I will be trying it to see if it works. Here it is: 1 cup distilled water, 4 tablespoons chamomile tea leaves, 2 tablespoons rose water, 2 tablespoons aloe vera gel, 1 drop lavender essential oil and 1 teaspoon MSM powder. Warm the water, no need to boil if it’s already distilled. Add chamomile leaves to warm water and brew for 5-7 minutes. Strain out leaves and allow to cool. Stir in remaining ingredients. Place mixture in spray bottle and always keep on hand for refreshing face lift. In my opinion, we should try to find the above ingredients in a raw or organic form and make sure the aloe gel doesn’t contain alcohol. Enjoy!

6. Billie
    United Kingdom

I use epsom salt in the bath as it really relaxes you by providing your body with magnesium but be careful not to overdo it. I did that once and was so relaxed I didn’t want to go to work the next day. I just wanted to sit around and chill all day (not a bad thing I suppose). It didn’t help with my rosacea. Instead I use a rosacea cream with tea tree oil, calendula and manuka and I cried it made such a difference to my rosacea. Steroid cream made my rosacea particularly the redness much worse and this cream basically got rid of all symptoms. I never thought I would be rid of it.

• Mummy Belle
      London

WOW! Please can you tell us which ‘rosacea cream’ this is? ie what brand? I’m desperate for something natural that works! So sick of having it all over my face.

7. mahant
    shimla

from where can i get apsom salt?

• Mary
      Gallatin, TN USA

Epsom Salts are very inexpensive and are found in every grocery store near the pharmacy. Usually next to hydrogen peroxide on the bottom shelf and they are usually in a bag. Wonderful for soaking feet. Many other good uses too.

8. Glenda
    Durham NC

I accidentally “cured” my rosacea by eliminating dairy products from my diet. I tried a vegan diet for three weeks, which meant I had to give up my daily yogurt and cheese. As a cancer patient, I decided to continue eating vegan-wise for a while, and soon found that I didn’t need the topical medication I had used for about 10 years to keep the inflammation down and heal the “pimples.” When I eat cheesy pizza, ice cream, and other dairy products, the rosacea comes back, and it stops when I stop eating dairy. I can get away with having just a taste now and then, but not daily.

9. Dorothy A Foster
    United States

looking forward to newsletter

10. Jillery

I had rosacea and did all the RX traditional stuff. What works for my chemistry is washing my face with a gentle soap, wiping it down peroxide, the putting sulpher gel on it (procesca. in walgreens).
    Then I use grapeseed oil and essential oil of rose (mixed together) on my face. I also take MSM (organic sulpher) a few times a day. I haven’t had a breakout in months and the redness is nearly gone. Good luck.

11. Ana

I have had this pest for years and years, disappearing and then suddenly again appearing. Previously the dermatologist gave cortisone injections and wanted me to take 6 weeks of anti-biotics each time (I refused). This time with a new flare-up, I started using coconut oil regularly. It is great on the skin, it does not make the skin oily. After 2 weeks, the redness and pustules are somewhat better, but new ones keep on cropping up, and the itching does not go away completely. For me coconut oil is not enough. I feel like running to buy Epsom Salt and Calamine! Will start using it tonight and will update with the results in a few weeks’ time.

12. Jennifer

Hello Everyone,
    What great information. I wanted to share what I have found to work for me. I’m 31 and have had rosacea my whole life. However, recently I started to get the pustule. The appearance of the pustules did come at a very high stress time in my life. The redness never really bothered me but when I got the zits I had to do something about it. My doc prescribed the metro gel but my insurance wouldn’t cover it. That may have been a blessing in disguise. I’ve been using cetaphils anti bacterial bar soap, and then following with organic coconut oil. I know it seems counter intuitive to use oil on you face but coconut oil is anti bacterial and keeps my skin soft and supple.
    I am interested to know if this works for anyone else.

13. Maureen

I have been using this remedy since I read about it in May this year I have not had one new pus spot since as I am over sixty this was very upsetting. Many thanks Maureen

• Maureen

Maureen. What are you using on your face for rosacea that you are referring to above?