a man with arthritic knees, topical pain relievers, arthritis pain

Q. When I read your column about gin-soaked raisins, I recalled a similar remedy I used several years ago. I don’t like gin, and I wouldn’t buy it. But the man who told me about using gin-soaked raisins for tendinitis also said that, according to his own doctor, apple cider vinegar worked just as well as gin.

The recipe I used very successfully to treat my tendinitis was GOLDEN RAISINS soaked in a combination of 2 parts apple cider vinegar and 1 part honey (which kills the taste of the vinegar). Cover and soak for three days and take about 10 raisins a day. The tendinitis gradually disappeared.

I had started on them before the doctor could figure out what was wrong with me. I was already getting some relief from the raisins that improved with physical therapy. The pain returned a bit when I stopped the raisins. Even my physical therapist was surprised at that. Raisins in vinegar are no “cure all” but they are a big help. I think people who are not drinkers would like this alternative.

A. Thank you so much for offering this alternative to gin for the raisin remedy. Some people use rum instead of gin, while others have tried vodka or sloe gin. The raisins are the common denominator, though.

We have heard from many people that this remedy can help ease joint pain, tendinitis, bursitis, plantar fasciitis or other inflammatory problems. Anyone who would like more details on this and many other natural approaches to inflammation may wish to review our Guide to Alternatives for Arthritis.

1. Anonymous

what exactly is it in the raisins that eases the pain for arthritis?

2. Foon

Golden raisin soak in Apple Cider Vinegar, may I know you put how many grams of raisin & how many ML of the vinegar? after soak, need to REFRIGERATE?
    TQ

3. JLM

I have used 1 tablespoon White House Apple Cider and 1 tablespoon honey mixed in a cup of hot water at night for about 10 years… ever since I read about it in the Drs. Pharmacy. I have only been able to talk one other person into trying it, but they agreed it helps them. Now my daughter, 29, a Triathlete, has aches and pains ~ especially a troublesome quadricep, but she doesn’t like the taste of what I call my “Hot Toddy.” So, she is trying the honey and cinnamon mix in hot water tonight and we plan to try the raisins in gin (or honey and vinegar) too.

4. ojs

Do you use regular apple cider vinegar or white vinegar? I am anxious to get started but do not quite know how to get started.

5. Dave K

While using the Apple Cider Vinegar method, do you have to keep them refrigerated? I take a swig (give or take) of ACV everyday but it makes my hair stand up every time and is not delicious. This sounds like a great alternative but do the raisins have some health benefit, or is the main purpose to kill the taste? Also ACV should be (BRAGG’S brand, the only one “with the Mother”) refrigerated after opening, with this said, should the final product also be chilled? Do you know why that needs to be chilled after opening? I wonder if we were to soak them in curry or even a standardized turmeric capsule broken open if that would increase the results?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: IT’S PROBABLY A GOOD IDEA TO REFRIGERATE RAISINS IF THE VINEGAR MUST BE REFRIGERATED. AS FOR THE OTHER QUESTIONS, WE DON’T KNOW. IF SOMEBODY TRIES THIS, PLEASE REPORT.

6. Jennifer

Is it the green tea alone that’s effective, or does it require the cinnamon and/or honey? I have terrible bursitis pain in my heel and am desperately looking for relief on this website.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: THE SUGGESTION IS TO SOAK RAISINS IN APPLE CIDER VINEGAR. WE DOUBT THE HONEY IS ESSENTIAL.

7. AJ

Thanks for the raisins remedy. I will go for apple cider vinegar, instead of rum or gin.

8. ND

Do you leave the raisins soaking in the solution when storing them?

9. David @ Joint pain

Lemon juice and green tea is also a big helper due to the amount of anti-oxidants in the tea (the lemon just helps keep the tea stable while it’s in hot water).

10. SMSH

I have been drinking green tea with cinnamon and raw honey every morning before eating or drinking anything else for my joint pain and swelling.
    I have tried the Certo and juice as well as the gin-soaked raisins, but with limited success.
    With the tea, I do not have any swelling and my joints don’t ache, even in chilly weather. I can sew again and even play with my granddaughter. And back in heels again! I have to take the cinnamon in capsule form (3 @ 500 mg) and then drink steeped green tea with 2 Tablespoons of raw honey. Make sure not to have the tea too hot that would kill the enzymes. I get my water to the point of hot but not boiling.
    Some drink the cinnamon and honey in 16 oz. of very warm water, but the cinnamon would have to be strained off. And then there’s the gag reflex to contend with. Capsules are the way to go.

11. Aubrey

After soaking the raisins in gin, should they be kept refrigerated? How long will they keep before going bad?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: THEY DON’T NEED REFRIGERATION. THEY WILL KEEP A COUPLE MONTHS IN A COVERED CONTAINER JUST FINE.

12. JPT

If Raisins are the common denominator, will raisins alone w/o any soaking etc. work? Any experience?

13. DAK

I don’t think the raisins have anything to do with it. People have reported taking just vinegar and honey for years for relief of arthritis. But glad it works for you what ever formula.

14. sheila H.

Thanks for the hint of using apple cider vinegar with golden raisins, instead of alcohol; many of us do not use alcohol for religious reasons; this is great; I am passing this hint on to folks with pain; I started on Turmeric/bromelain in 2006 and have been so helped that I do not need raisins with either vinegar or alcohol. I
    Love your column and newsletter;

15. Wendy Burnett

This is great info . . . I’ve wanted to try the raisins, but anything with alcohol in it makes me deathly ill.