a bottle of castor oil, castor oil vs. warts

Q. I have been using castor oil for years on bruises in my family. It truly works.

It also works wonders as an anti-scar ointment. I used it on a surgical scar AFTER the stitches were removed. When I went back for a post-surgical appointment, the doctor could not locate his work. I had to point out the incision to him.

A. You are not the first person to recommend castor oil topically on bruises. You may be the first, however, who has reported such success for healing scars. A component of castor oil, ricinoleic acid, has been shown to have anti-inflammatory activity (Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 9, issue # 5, 2000).

Some people may be allergic to castor oil, so caution is called for. Testing a drop or two on the inside of the forearm should be adequate.

1. kanimozhi
    India

yes, it works like a magic potion. I have been using this on my atrophic scars due to acne for past 1 week. A deep rolling scar has diminished by 50 percent… I could not believe my eyes! I find it tough to search for my scars to apply the oil since it has almost vanished.

2. @laya
    south africa

I’m using castor oil for 3 weeks on my 2 months surgery scar, the 1st week it was working wonders but now my scar is itchy, stretched, uncomfortable and tight, could I be allergic to it or maybe I’m doing it wrong, pls help.

3. lola

OMG!!! it really does work on scars
    I had an operation 2.5 yrs ago that left a 7′ scar which felt like a round shoelace under my skin. I used castor oil unfaithfully several times a day when I would remember, or sometimes not at all. One day I noticed my scar was peeling. Now it feels thinner about half the size in a month of haphazardly.

4. Sandra P.

Do you think it is safe to use on my 2 year old’s recent scar on her forehead from a fall?

5. Brenda B.

We can testify castor oil works great for soreness as well keeping bruises down to a minimum.

6. anne

Castor oil completely eliminated a wart that I had tried to eliminate for over twenty years. It did not even leave a scar! I applied the oil on the wart after showering and at bedtime and covered it
    with a bandage. I kept at it until it was
    gone, maybe two months.

7. JPO

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will give it a try for both knee and shoulder pain.

8. S.H.

Castor Oil is great for MORE than helping lessen scars.
    IT will just about knock out knee pain and help delay knee surgery for many people.
    My husband’s knee really hurts at times; he has seen his doctor and was prescribed
    pain pills.
    Since I heard about castor oil being rubbed onto knees and other joints to reduce inflammation and pain, I decided to tell my husband. It reduced inflammation, and stopped the pain (by morning #3(third),ONLY applying at night). We have told many other people; some were facing knee replacement surgery; castor oil is successfully delaying that time and surgery.
    When I have sore muscles or feel a tinge of what might turn into soreness from fibromyalgia I have my husband gently rub some into my sore areas. We know that it is really good stuff. I hope the drug companies don’t try to make it a prescription and make a $4 bottle turn into a $40 one. S.H., Branson, MO